Smule Unfollow: How to beat the Follow to Unfollow tactics by spammers

sdr
10 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Person will know cos if they followed you and got blocked after that, they can't see your name on their Following list (assuming they take note of that)

That's the real problem. We won't be able to guess who is missing from a list of few hundred singers. And that singer remains in the Following list.

Isa_Bella
2 minutes ago, sdr said:

Smule Unfollow is aimed at relatively new singers with upto a few hundred followers. It helps to tidy up your Following list so that the invites from singers who do not follow you and no recordings together do not clutter your invite notifications. If you have a 1000 or more Followers/ing you never would want to go through that lists even for once.

This aims to create a mutual interaction based Followers/ing lists.šŸ‘

Yes I agree ..very well said šŸ‘šŸ‘ but for me even if I have only less than 500 followers I won't bother to checkĀ  who unfollowed me just let it be.. I willĀ  collab with someone who appreciates my bathroom voice..šŸ¤£

• like 1
  • haha 2

DuetWithAlli
19 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Person will know cos if they followed you and got blocked after that, they can't see your name on their Following list (assuming they take note of that)

Oh thatā€™s true, I didnā€™t think about that. And also if they try to go to your page, they get an error message ā€¦ same thing if they try to re-follow you. But it still doesnā€™t tell them, ā€œyou canā€™t see this personā€™s page because youā€™ve been blocked.ā€ If Iā€™m doing it for no reason, I unblock them immediately so all it does is remove them from my Followers list, if they hadnā€™t already removed themselves by unfollowing me.

• like 1

My2CentsWorth
13 hours ago, sdr said:

That's the real problem. We won't be able to guess who is missing from a list of few hundred singers. And that singer remains in the Following list.

It really isn't important if people follow/unfollow unless we are chasing numbers. But I assume most of us hereĀ  are matured adults, here to sing in Smule, so followers don't matter much.Ā Ā 

That said, if you really like a smuler's voice, and want to find that person in a jiffy, there is always the 'Mentions' function we can use so you can easily click onĀ  #XXX and immediately you get transported to his/her account. Also easier to see if that same person is following you or not, cos you can happily(if you have so much time) go through his/her F/F list.Ā 

• like 1

Isa_Bella
5 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

It really isn't important if people follow/unfollow unless we are chasing numbers. But I assume most of us hereĀ  are matured adults, here to sing in Smule, so followers don't matter much.Ā Ā 

That said, if you really like a smuler's voice, and want to find that person in a jiffy, there is always the 'Mentions' function we can use so you can easily click onĀ  #XXX and immediately you get transported to his/her account. Also easier to see if that same person is following you or not, cos you can happily(if you have so much time) go through his/her F/F list.Ā 

Truest āœ”šŸ‘Ā  I agree 101%.. What's the use of chasing numbers if they don't even join you or like your songs.. its better to have a QUALITY than QUANTITY...

• like 4

sdr
On 4/3/2022 at 7:05 AM, Isa_Bella said:

If someone joined me I joined them back if they are VIP and also to my regular joiners

You seem to have appliedĀ  the Unfollow criteria already! And you would have cleaned up your Following list to singers who regularly join you.šŸ‘Ā 

Ā 

they are not the only one who supports you or even "they never joined your OC" just a waste of time checking everyone

Smule Unfollow makes these two things easy for you. You can easily see whether a singer you follow follows you or you two have any recordings together. As time goes by and when your Following grows more and more. Also your number of recordings. And both these checks become more and more difficult. It is then that you require some utility like Unfollow. šŸ˜

Ā 

I don't care if people unfollowed me or blocked me I wont even investigate why...

Many singers, initially,Ā  regularly go through their Followers/Ing lists and diligently visit their profiles. They don't know about spammers and others who just want to trap them into following them. By the time they realized this, their Following list would have increased to hundreds but the Followers and joiners stay under a hundred. That's when the tidying up becomes impossible with the current options in smule. šŸ˜

sdr
On 4/4/2022 at 5:32 AM, My2CentsWorth said:

It really isn't important if people follow/unfollow unless we are chasing numbers

Unfollow is exactly the opposite. Here are we are removingĀ followings and as a result some will unfollow us too. So your Following/ers reduce to the singers you allow to be in.

Ā 

so followers don't matter much

It is certainly not that way. It is the Follwers who get your invite notifications and join you for a song. Other singers who find your invite through searches may join you too but they are comparatively a small number. When they join they follow you also most of the time.

Ā 

if you really like a smuler's voice, and want to find that person in a jiffy, there is always the 'Mentions'

It serves a completely different purpose. It is a place you refer visitors to your profile to try the profiles Mentioned also.

In this respect I had suggested smule to have a private Favorite list of singers just like the Bookmaked songs and invites. But as usual it fell on deaf earsšŸ™

Isa_Bella
7 minutes ago, sdr said:

You seem to have appliedĀ  the Unfollow criteria already! And you would have cleaned up your Following list to singers who regularly join you.šŸ‘Ā 

Ā 

Smule Unfollow makes these two things easy for you. You can easily see whether a singer you follow follows you or you two have any recordings together. As time goes by and when your Following grows more and more. Also your number of recordings. And both these checks become more and more difficult. It is then that you require some utility like Unfollow. šŸ˜

Ā 

Many singers, initially,Ā  regularly go through their Followers/Ing lists and diligently visit their profiles. They don't know about spammers and others who just want to trap them into following them. By the time they realized this, their Following list would have increased to hundreds but the Followers and joiners stay under a hundred. That's when the tidying up becomes impossible with the current options in smule. šŸ˜

hahahah you must be joking.... I think it would only be aĀ  case to case bases but not me, I have more important things to do thanĀ  checking all those spammers..Ā  Ā if your followers areĀ  just only a couple or less than 500 you can do that but if your followers areĀ  more than 4k it will be insane to do that... I wont bother.. I dont care if half of my followers are spammers as long as theyĀ  behave... šŸ˜‚šŸ˜Ž

• like 2

sdr
1 minute ago, Isa_Bella said:

if your followers areĀ  more than 4k it will be insane to do that

I had put it at just 1000. But you are 100% rightšŸ‘šŸ˜

• like 1

Isa_Bella
On 4/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, sdr said:

Smule Unfollow is aimed at relatively new singers with upto a few hundred followers. It helps to tidy up your Following list so that the invites from singers who do not follow you and no recordings together do not clutter your invite notifications. If you have a 1000 or more Followers/ing you never would want to go through that lists even for once.

This aims to create a mutual interaction based Followers/ing lists.šŸ‘

Yes that exactly I was explaining here it's a case to case basis... "some" beginners wanted more followers because they got motivated, will it be spammers or legit followers..

Isa_Bella
9 minutes ago, sdr said:

I had put it at just 1000. But you are 100% rightšŸ‘šŸ˜

šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ˜

sdr
26 minutes ago, Isa_Bella said:

I dont care if half of my followers are spammers as long as theyĀ  behave...

If you mean by followersĀ the singers who follow you, you don't have to care. They are a harmless lot since their invites do not clutter your notifications. Wait till they use Smule Unfollow and Chuck you outšŸ˜‚

• haha 1

sdr
On 4/4/2022 at 1:53 AM, DuetWithAlli said:

But it still doesnā€™t tell them, ā€œyou canā€™t see this personā€™s page because youā€™ve been blocked.ā€

Smule has "pledged" to itself that it will not let any bad news to a person. Blocked, unfollowed, recording deleted by someone else etc. I treat these some kind of deception tactics by smule. If they notify these to the other then that person will immediately act on it by doing the same thing.

• like 3

My2CentsWorth
6 hours ago, sdr said:

Ā 

It serves a completely different purpose. It is a place you refer visitors to your profile to try the profiles Mentioned also.

In this respect I had suggested smule to have a private Favorite list of singers just like the Bookmaked songs and invites. But as usual it fell on deaf earsšŸ™

You already have a Favourite list . If you like that smuler's voice that much,Ā  Favorite a song of his and then you can easily find him through that list, no? Don't make sense to have another Fav category.Ā 

Mentions (#) work just as well if you like that smuler's voice. Do note it need not be reciprocated. You can # anyone but that person need not mention you in their profile.Ā 

At the end of the day,Ā  Smule is a karaoke app. An app that should not add stress to your life where you want to chase numbers or ensure you have more followers than following .

Edited by My2CentsWorth
  • like 2

Isa_Bella
7 hours ago, sdr said:

If you mean by followersĀ the singers who follow you, you don't have to care. They are a harmless lot since their invites do not clutter your notifications. Wait till they use Smule Unfollow and Chuck you outšŸ˜‚

Spammers are not singers (correct me if I'm wrong)... they have an account with followers and following but they have not recorded any single song.... hmmmm Chuck me out?? in what way? are you talking about Smule?Ā  I dont get it... I have to say it again and again... If my follower (real singers not spammers) unfollowed me..I'm not bothered at all.. .Ā  thats her decision, thats her choice.. and besides I won't noticed that someone unfollowed me.. people come and go.. as if Smule is my Life... hahahahah... I love my Joiners I always gave them Paid Gift worth 5coins to show that I appreciate their support.Ā  But if they unfollowed me I wont run after them.. just let it be and move on.. šŸ˜žšŸ˜Ž

• like 1
  • love it! 1

sdr
19 minutes ago, Isa_Bella said:

If my follower (real singers not spammers) unfollowed me..I'm not bothered at all..

You wouldn't know of either! Then how could you be bothered? Already hundreds would have unfollowed you without your knowledge. You would see a decrease in your Followers list and you in darkness about who unfollowed you.Ā 

sdr
1 hour ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Favorite a song of his and then you can easily find him through that list, no?

That list also becomes completely unwieldy with a few hundred favourites. Not only that you favorite several songs from the same singer and that adds to the confusion.

Ā 

Don't make sense to have another Fav category.Ā 

You are in need of it. That's why you are adding singers to the Mention and try to work around the problem. Many singers just keep very few, often one or two in the Mentions. And those will be singers intimately connected with them. Not just anyone you like.

Ā 

An app that should not add stress to your life where you want to chase numbers

At the outset, I mentioned that it is a way to decrease your Following and as a result some decrease in your Followers is also implied. Who talks about chasing numbers? Not me, for sure.

My2CentsWorth
1 minute ago, sdr said:

That list also becomes completely unwieldy with a few hundred favourites. Not only that you favorite several songs from the same singer and that adds to the confusion

Ā 

I don't see any confusion. You make using Smule sound very confusing šŸ˜†

It is apparent the developers of Smule isn't going to change functions to what we want,Ā  so we have the option to stay or leave the app.Ā 

Ranting about how sucky the app is but still using it is pretty futile.

• like 1

Isa_Bella
15 minutes ago, sdr said:

You wouldn't know of either! Then how could you be bothered? Already hundreds would have unfollowed you without your knowledge. You would see a decrease in your Followers list and you in darkness about who unfollowed you.Ā 

Correct... I dont even check who followed me let alone who unfollowed me.. .. I just wanted to upload songs and sing..collab with the person who joined my OC.. just simple no dramas.. šŸ˜Ž

• like 1

DuetWithAlli
10 hours ago, sdr said:

Smule has "pledged" to itself that it will not let any bad news to a person. Blocked, unfollowed, recording deleted by someone else etc. I treat these some kind of deception tactics by smule. If they notify these to the other then that person will immediately act on it by doing the same thing.

Yes, itā€™s absolutely that. Smule doesnā€™t want anyĀ paying customers to get their feelings hurt. Iā€™m just glad they fixed the block feature to the best of their capabilities instead of trying to protect offending users who deserve to be blocked.

Speaking of deception ā€¦ I was probably singing on Smule for five years and never even noticed the fake accounts lol ā€¦ I only noticed it after trying Starmaker and realizing that no less than 90% of the accounts that try to interact with you are bots. So then I looked at my old Smule account and noticed a lot of the followers were fakes.

I have to wonder if itā€™s happening more now since Smule ticked off a lot of vip users who genuinely interacted with users and made them want to subscribe too. Really Itā€™s kind of upsetting to me that Smule and Starmaker dupe new users into thinking people actually like them in hopes that they will subscribe. But you know, money ā€¦

Ā 

• like 1

realyquick

Most social media apps have a silent unfollow. The reason is clear - unfollow notifications will just result in more confrontations and arguments, and more complaints to the app maintainers about fellow users.

I don't understand the success of the follow-unfollow technique in a singing app - I would never follow someone just cos they followed me! I only follow someone if they are a good singer, and either they joined me or I joined them. If they're so popular that they can't join me, then I can unfollow them later. But sometimes I'll follow a great singer even if they don't follow me back.

In this regard Smule has another bug which many have run into - people appear to have unfollowed someone even though they haven't! Person A's following list shows person B, but B's follower list doesn't show A.. it disappeared somehow. Of course smule won't fix bugs like this.. they'd rather spend all their time changing the parts that work awesomely, like the layout, and mess it up and create lots of new bugs where there were none before. Then they raise subscription fees so they can get paid for messing up a working app. What knuckleheadsšŸ˜„

• like 4
  • love it! 1

Isa_Bella
9 hours ago, realyquick said:

Most social media apps have a silent unfollow. The reason is clear - unfollow notifications will just result in more confrontations and arguments, and more complaints to the app maintainers about fellow users.

I don't understand the success of the follow-unfollow technique in a singing app - I would never follow someone just cos they followed me! I only follow someone if they are a good singer, and either they joined me or I joined them. If they're so popular that they can't join me, then I can unfollow them later. But sometimes I'll follow a great singer even if they don't follow me back.

In this regard Smule has another bug which many have run into - people appear to have unfollowed someone even though they haven't! Person A's following list shows person B, but B's follower list doesn't show A.. it disappeared somehow. Of course smule won't fix bugs like this.. they'd rather spend all their time changing the parts that work awesomely, like the layout, and mess it up and create lots of new bugs where there were none before. Then they raise subscription fees so they can get paid for messing up a working app. What knuckleheadsšŸ˜„

Wow!!!! Very Well Said..šŸ‘āœ” Thank you..Ā 

sdr
16 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Ranting about how sucky the app is but still using it is pretty futile.

And you were thinking people were singing praises of smule here till this time? šŸ˜

sdr
13 hours ago, realyquick said:

Person A's following list shows person B, but B's follower list doesn't show A.. it disappeared somehow

I guess smule shows the total number of Followers/ing in the profile. But lists only a maximum of 500 in the lists. That could be the reason for the anomaly. If yo are missing from another's Following list,Ā  there is no way you can be sure that that singer is following you or not.

Follower/ing is a such a crucial piece of information that should have been tagged on the picture just like the vip tag. This would have been so helpful when searching for invites to join. The worst thing is they they tell you that you are following a singer but not whether that singer is following you.šŸ˜”

Edited by sdr

My2CentsWorth
1 hour ago, sdr said:

And you were thinking people were singing praises of smule here till this time? šŸ˜

I know there were gripes about the app,, but it certainly escalated lately.And funny thing is,Ā  we are still using it.Ā 

Ranting helps abit but after awhile it just sounds like a 'moment' on smule, with the same repeated lines on a loop.

• like 3