Can we ask SMULE to stop dumping invites into Notifications

_RamKrish1012

I have 2 Invites from Rob Thomas, one From Lucas Graham, one from Clara, and one from Jess Glynne. All these invites last for 2 LONG years. I am not interested yet I cannot delete them either. This mneans I have to see these invites in my Notifiucations box forced on me by Smule for "two long years" before which they will pump a few more. I think this promotion idea is warped and misplaced.

opentype

Why would you want to delete them? Essentially, it’s a feed, like a Twitter feed, a Facebook feed or our feed. It’s not a list of things to deal with, but an offer. You can go through them one by one or skim them. If something looks interesting, you deal with it (e.g. join or bookmark). Everything else just gets ignored and it will get pushed down and is never seen again. 
Your actual to-do list is the bookmark section and you have full control of what is in there. And you can also delete stuff again from there. 

_RamKrish1012

I want to delete invites that are of zero interest to me. why not ? Id also like to delete invites for songs I do not know or am not interested in. A delete feature will be so helpful.

Agree It may essentially be a feed but I dont want to be force fed 

When you have 500 invites sitting in your notifications, you have to scroll down past all 500 to get to the bottom to book mark  invites about to expire. Here at the bottom are ten that are going to remain at the bottom for 2 long years. Sometimes I book mark 100 songs as allowed by Smule but when busy I just quickly book mark ones I want to sing that night. I have also suggested that Smule reverse the order it has the song that expires first at the top so we dont have to scroll miles to get to the ones that expire first. I was told they would pass it on to the developers. Probably went into the waste bin

• like 1

opentype
19 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

When you have 500 invites sitting in your notifications, you have to scroll down past all 500 to get to the bottom to book mark  invites about to expire. 

The logic doesn’t seem to work. Scrolling past them, while annoying, will still be much less work than deleting every single invite to just have the ones you want to deal with. There will always be a flood of invites for any Smule user with a typical number of followings. Removing those invites is a battle you cannot win. 

That’s why I deal with them as long as they are new (and marked by Smule as such). I would never ever have to scroll through 500 invites. I dealt with them when they were new and bookmarked or joined them. Everything else will just be ignored and won’t be looked at again. 

_RamKrish1012

Guru, Don't want to argue with you on this. You and I are using Smule differently. You Like singing new songs you say. Thats wonderful. I like most Indians am a Karaoke singer as most Indians grow up singing songs from movies which we listed from Valve radios of Yester years.

I don't want to delete every invite I receive from VIP members whom I follow as they expire in exactly 7 days. Not so the invites sent by Smule that sit in your invitation section for two long years until they expire.

I had persuaded Smule developers to rearrange book marked songs in the order of expiry and mark the expiry time in red as it was extremely hard to see the dull grey text on expiry time. They did the needful and I am grateful for this except they clubbed it with activities. It will be so much better if they kept expiry of book marked  songs on a separate Tab.

Lastly how about a Button which changes the invites from Oldest first or switch to newest first. If we can see the oldest first meaning the one that will expire soon then we do not even have to book mark. we can just scroll and sing away which ever song we want just before they expire.

Smule can become an obsession for some and also a nightmare for others. Imagine having 25000 fans and they are all texting you messages and expect responses. I know three such ladies who in the end abandoned singing on small as their followers were telling them off for not commenting on their joins.

Peace Brother

_RamKrish1012

Guru, I see you are following 300 Singers and being followed by 2000 Smuleans. Perhaps you can tell me how best to manage invitations. People I follow sing at least 7 songs a week, which is one every night  and send invites. 

I could help a few hundred people who are struggling to cope as they feel obliged to accept invites from friends and sing.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
DuetWithAlli

This is how I manage the invites I receive. I go through the invites at least once a day. Look at the singer, look at the song. If it’s someone I sing with regularly, I know the song, and I like singing it ... I bookmark it. I try not to have more than 25 invites in my bookmarks, so I continually pare them down to the ones I most want to join. And make it through as many as I can. Oh and I don’t listen to the invite first.  I love the song and remove the bookmark after I have joined. No need to feel obliged. Join if you feel like it. That’s my take on it anyway.

• like 1

_RamKrish1012

All of us do the same. After book marking you go to your profile page and under invites you see all Book marked songs. However they do not appear in the order of Expiry.

On request, Smule modified the Software to allow your book marked songs in order of expiry with the time for expiry. Very helpful. However the disadvantage is that these expiry Notifications arrive under the activity bar and get all mixed up with posts from singers we join or when other singers join our invites.

I had not turned my phone on on a busy day and there were 97 notifications .  under activity and I missed an important comment from a special friend who took offence and deleted three recordings. 

All that I am suggesting is that this feature is extremely helpful but should come under a different Tab

• like 1

DuetWithAlli

Oh that’s interesting, I didn’t notice Smule had changed the order of bookmarks to have the ones that expire show first. Thanks for requesting that feature. Very helpful. I’m not bothered by this, but I do get tired of some of the things that clog up my notifications. It would be nice to have the ability to customize what you see and don’t see in your notifications. If enough users ask Smule to change this, they might listen. 

Crazyjster

Also it would be great to have a way to filter invites...It is hard to manage the number of invites from people followed...if you could prioritize invites from certain people that would be helpful. I hate making people message me which is what I have ended up having to do, and unfollowing/re-following people to keep the invite number low which sucks.

• like 1

_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Oh that’s interesting, I didn’t notice Smule had changed the order of bookmarks to have the ones that expire show first. Thanks for requesting that feature. Very helpful. I’m not bothered by this, but I do get tired of some of the things that clog up my notifications. It would be nice to have the ability to customize what you see and don’t see in your notifications. If enough users ask Smule to change this, they might listen. 

Under Notifications you have activity and invites. If you are following say 100 people and each upload 5 songs a week, then you have 500 invites a week ( just figure of speech) could be 5000 to for people who follow 500 members ...

Your book marked invites which come under Invites in Profile Page is in the order you book marked the songs and not based on expiry date as you can book mark from feeds, explore, song book or invites under notifications.

Go to Activity under Notifications and you will see Expiry time of book marked invites appearing in order of expiry time in RED Colour. This tells me which one will expire first so I sing that first.

Hope this helps

_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, Crazyjster said:

Also it would be great to have a way to filter invites...It is hard to manage the number of invites from people followed...if you could prioritize invites from certain people that would be helpful. I hate making people message me which is what I have ended up having to do, and unfollowing/re-following people to keep the invite number low which sucks.

We are on the same Page. Smule works fine for members with a few followers and a few following. One lady I follow has nearly 11000 followers and she follows 200 singers. and hse has 140000 recordings as every invite of hers gets over 200 joiners. I feel extremely sorry for her as she is a lovely person who tried to respond to every one who joined her could not cope and had a nervous break down and has not sung one song in last seven months. and trust me she is not alone.

Yes the idea of prioritising would be great but subject to it remaining your secret so people you follow and who follow you do not get offended.

My nephew sang three songs in one night to my invites. I was extremely busy the next day and before I could listen and comment he got upset and deleted all three recordings.

Behind every Smule member is a Real person with feelings and pride. Early in the piece Id wake up to find say ten new followers aqnd I used to take the trouble to check out their profiles etc. The next day they would have unfollowed me. There are crazy men and women with big egos who play the numbers game. I caught one young lady who followed me and unfollowed me the next day after I followed her and told her off. she apologised and said se was a busy doctor and new to smule and just sang and her younger brother managed the app and decided who to follow etc. Today she is one of my fav smule members and she has sacked her brother as app manager.

How would you like to see the filters work ?

_RamKrish1012

Crazyjster,

I have an idea that will address this prioritising issue..

Lets say I have 100 Followers and I am following 100 people. My priority would be to accept invites from followers whom I follow " Mutual respect or admiration" or "you scratch my back I scratch yours" Principle.

I owe this to people who are my sincere and genuine followers whom I follow

All that is required is under "Following" List we have a lot of gray head icons with a Tick which does not mean anything right now. Turn the icons of the ones I follow too into red Icons. and leave the rest as gray.

How cool will that be ?

DuetWithAlli

Oh okay, I gotcha. I wonder why Smule didn’t change the order of the bookmarks on the profile. It does seem strange that this info is thrown in with the notifications ... which as you pointed out, are easy to miss. 

DuetWithAlli

I do have some advice on dealing with a high number of followers and joins. Although if someone already has 10K followers, it may be too late for that person. I carefully manage my invites. Try not to have more than 5 invites open at one time. Avoid current and popular songs. Close invites early, after three or four days, or lock them. Try not to allow an unmanageable number of joins. And I take my time. Sometimes it takes a few days to listen to my friends and regular joiners, and a week or more to listen to the rest. But people who sing with me regularly know I will listen eventually, so very few delete their joins before I get to them. 

Not much you can do about unfollowing jerks. Checking to see if followers are legit is too time consuming. Now I only follow back if the person joined my song and followed me. 

_RamKrish1012

Open Type,

On Hindsight I should have had more clarity in my Caption:

I wrote "Can we ask SMULE to stop dumping invites into Notifications"  it should have been : "Can we ask SMULE to stop dumping "BOOKMARKED" invites in "Activity" under  "Notifications" and preferably include one more tab between Activity and Invites as "Book Marked Invites" in order of Expiry

As admin are you in a position to Edit this Caption ? If Yes Please can you do it?

Cheers Bro

_RamKrish1012
19 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

I do have some advice on dealing with a high number of followers and joins. 

Not much you can do about unfollowing jerks. 

DuetWithAlli

Your Response appreciated. I don't have a problem as I have just 125 followers who followed (and forgot to unfollow perhaps) and I try and limit the no I follow to 100 and strill end up with 500 invites a week

With a lot of singers from India ( I Do not know about USA) there is a huge hype and the belief that if you have a few thousand followers on Smule you are "ants pants" and also a bit of an ego trip for people who never had an opportunity to shine and there are others who love playing the numbers game join a hundred people one day at random and unfollow them a few days later hoping you'd follow them. I also came across a member who hired people to do this following and unfollowing. Crazy but true.

Singing on Smule should be a healthy pastime for every one.

How we make this happen in a million dollar question

Cheers

DuetWithAlli

The only other tip I have on the number of invites you receive ... if I notice someone I follow opens an excessive number of invites, I unfollow. 

For some people, Smule is a popularity contest. I’m not sure about US singers, as very few sing with me. Same with singers from India, I see very few. But I have seen users who are into groups and support chats, and using trickery, blind loves and possibly bots, to increase their following. I just really love singing, so I try to stick with people of a similar mindset and avoid the rest. 

And now that I better understand the original topic of this post (sorry for taking it so far off topic!) I will contact Smule about this too. It does seem out of place to have invites appearing in notifications. 

• like 1

_RamKrish1012

DuetWithAlli,

All that Smule needs to do is create one more Tab between Activities and Invites call it Book Mark or BM and drop all Book Marked Invites in the order of expiry so we do not miss singing what we have book marked. This will remove the clutter from Activities

I seldom send invites. But recently I sent out 20 invites in quicktime for one and only reason, for shoky followers to unfollow me and it worked to some extent.

Cheers

Ram

_RamKrish1012
12 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

The only other tip I have on the number of invites you receive ... if I notice someone I follow opens an excessive number of invites, I unfollow. 

I started to follow a lady who I thought sang very well. She was sending about 20 to 25 invites a day and I had to quietly unfollow this lady. Looks like she had nothing else to do all day. 🤪

• like 1
  • haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Crazyjster

That or almost create an inbox system like Gmail if that makes sense...you can tab known followers from unknown. I know people who open up a bunch of stuff once a week...  Whatever works for them...that doesn't bother me, it's the tons of invites from people I don't follow or even have a clue who they are...

• like 1

_RamKrish1012
1 hour ago, Crazyjster said:

That or almost create an inbox system like Gmail if that makes sense...you can tab known followers from unknown. I know people who open up a bunch of stuff once a week...  Whatever works for them...that doesn't bother me, it's the tons of invites from people I don't follow or even have a clue who they are...

A Smule VIP member can only receive Invites from other Smule Members he/she follows, as "Invites under Notifications".You can also receive "Invites as Messages under Inbox" but only from Members you follow.

As for Messages from Members you do not follow, they  end up under Messages / OTHER which can be ignored totally if you wish. OTHER  Contains messages from people you don't follow.

Hope this HELPS.

Cheers

Crazyjster

I am a VIP and I'm not talking about messages... I am talking about invites...I get invites from people I don't follow constantly (I check just to make sure) as well because there are many in different languages. Honestly the messaging is better organized...if we could pick (privately) invites to receive first in one list and then have the rest go to other that or some sort of tab system that we could organize based on how we decide to go through that would be great

Edited by Crazyjster
More to add

Crazyjster

I am a VIP and I'm not talking aboutmessages... I am talking about invites...I get invites from people I don't follow constantly (I check just to make sure) as well because there are many in different languages. Honestly the messaging is better organized...if we could pick (privately) invites to receive first in one list and then have the rest go to other that or some sort of tab system that we could organize based on how we decide to go through that would be great.

"invites under notifications" is the problem... When you are bombarded with notifications and 'activity" you are going to miss something. If I could choose what notifications I received and from who and what activity it would be much more helpful. Everyone is different... What works for me might not work for someone else. But it seems what isn't working for many is being bombarded with notifications.

_RamKrish1012

9 hours ago, Crazyjster said:

I am a VIP and I'm not talking about messages... I am talking about invites...I get invites from people I don't follow constantly (I check just to make sure) as well because there are many in different languages.

"invites under notifications" is the problem... When you are bombarded with notifications and 'activity" you are going to miss something. If I could choose what notifications I received and from who and what activity it would be much more helpful. Everyone is different... What works for me might not work for someone else. But it seems what isn't working for many is being bombarded with notifications.

As far as I am aware a VIP member can get invites from only the Members  he/she Follows.

You can get invites as Messages from People you do not follow and these go into a separate message inbox called OTHERS.

If this is not happening then something is amiss and Only Smule can fix this for You.

Cheers

Ram