New 14-Day Invite Extension Incoming

Go to solution Solved by Wishchip,

DuetWithAlli
10 hours ago, BWFan16 said:

Here is my  2 cents on this topic. Just rambling!

I have an iphone where I disabled updates. I can join expired invites there till they will take away for everyone.

I have an Andriod phone where I just listen to my joiners and comment. Never sing on it.

I have an iPad where I sing. After I got caught unawares when they pushed the 7 day expiry, I have disabled updates.

My observations on this 14 day extension.

When I open a fresh collab, I can extend it by 14 days which makes it open for 21 days.

When I revive an old invite, it stays open for 14 days.

My profile feed does show the revived invites for 14 days. I am not too keen to join revived invites because if the original invite had 150 joiners I will be the 151st. It is confusing to find the new joiners for the revived collab. In my opinion they should have cloned the original collab as a new collab and started with 0 joiners. Wishful thinking! 🙂

Oh, interesting! I wondered how that works, since I’m still rocking the old version myself and can’t try it. Gotta check out the page of one of my friends who resent old invites to see what I can see.

Edit: I checked it out. Ok, so the extended invites show up in the invites tab and show that they are 1 year old, but don’t show up on her channel. I agree with you, it would make more sense for the extended invite to appear on your channel at the point when you re-release it, as an invite with no joins. As it is now, it’s so confusing!

Edited by DuetWithAlli
New info
  • like 1

Wishchip

Somebody I follow recently re-opened like 85 expired OC's all at once. Holy cow if this is how this extension feature is going to be used, kill it before it lays eggs.

• haha 5

Anshuman

I have encountered few profiles which have collabs which are still open to join for over a year and even for 5 years in some of them. Howcome is it so?

Edited by Anshuman

Isa_Bella
On 7/27/2023 at 12:53 AM, Wishchip said:

Somebody I follow recently re-opened like 85 expired OC's all at once. Holy cow if this is how this extension feature is going to be used, kill it before it lays eggs.

thats why I'm not a fan of the recent 14 Days extension. I will just stick to the 7days expiration.. 

realyquick

I've seen that too, don't know where these people find the time and patience to hear so many joins. Or maybe they don't. Personally I can't listen to more than 30-40 joins of an invite, after that I've overdosed on that song and listening to it any more makes me ill. 7 days is about the right amount of time.

• like 3

Wishchip
On 7/29/2023 at 3:12 AM, Anshuman said:

I have encountered few profiles which have collabs which are still open to join for over a year and even for 5 years in some of them. Howcome is it so?

I’ve seen recently where some users have invites that are set to expire in 12 months. Is that what you mean? I’m curious what the trick is for that. 

opentype
4 hours ago, Wishchip said:

I’ve seen recently where some users have invites that are set to expire in 12 months.

Can you post a username where you see that?

Isa_Bella
9 hours ago, Wishchip said:

The only reason why they can still access or join the songs over years and years its because they still have the old Smule version, as I said earlier  I have another Smule account  that I'm still using the old version and I can still join all the songs see  attached  sample, the song was back in 2017. 

IMG_0007.JPG

Edited by Isa_Bella
  • like 1

DuetWithAlli
12 hours ago, Wishchip said:

I’ve seen recently where some users have invites that are set to expire in 12 months. Is that what you mean? I’m curious what the trick is for that. 

Maybe they’re invites from partner artists/rising stars/etc … invites that are promoted by Smule in some way? It seems like they run much longer than typical invites. I can’t see any of them (because I block everyone Smule tries to send my way hehe) but that’s my guess.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
Spelling is hard!
  • like 1
  • haha 2

music8
17 hours ago, opentype said:

Can you post a username where you see that?

I don't think it's a trick. I have typically seen that for verified users or popular artists (guessing they are partner artists?). A far as I have seen, those invites never expire, it's been open for years. Some usernames - BairaviGopi, ramyaduraiswamy, shanucheenu. It says 7 months left for their invites when I checked today.

opentype
4 hours ago, music8 said:

It says 7 months left for their invites when I checked today.

It doesn’t show that for me. Everything looks normal on the latest version for iOS. The new options to extend invites can make things look a little weird, as you can reactivate a song from years ago and so it says “recorded 2 years ago” and you can still join, but the invite time should still be limited to 14 days. 

But yeah, things are different for partner artists, but they should be recognizable by their checkmark. I have never seen non-partner artists with unusually long invites. 

_Joe_Church_

Thank you. Now I understand why in some singers appears old songs in the invite tab.

You know what I think. It’s a complete nonsense. Every person (at least the VIP members, that we are paying) have to be free to join everybody everytime. A person that work and have to do chores is impossible to sing when we want. Even more, sometimes you’re ill or even in hospital and cannot sing one month but you can sing the next month. Usually I will not join open calls from several years ago but only because I don’t want, if I’m paying I have to have the freedom to join when I want. I keep the VIP but I will sing solos, or join a reduced group of people, I don’t want to be pressured to join in a limit of time, I was pressured in the past and I don’t want to repeat the experience.

Edited by _Joe_Church_
Type mistake

music8
1 hour ago, opentype said:

It doesn’t show that for me. Everything looks normal on the latest version for iOS. The new options to extend invites can make things look a little weird, as you can reactivate a song from years ago and so it says “recorded 2 years ago” and you can still join, but the invite time should still be limited to 14 days. 

But yeah, things are different for partner artists, but they should be recognizable by their checkmark. I have never seen non-partner artists with unusually long invites. 

These singers had these invites open and active for years, even before this reactivate functionality came into existence. And these are not users with verified checkmarks, maybe they have some other privileged status with Smule due to their popularity!? Attaching screenshots from PC. If you notice the first screenshot, she has 2 invites that were active for more than 2 years (it now shows expiring in 7 months) and 1 reactivated. If you check in your phone, it won't show any expiry for these invites, hope that helps!

Screenshot (71).png

Screenshot (70).png

• confused 1

opentype
12 hours ago, music8 said:

Attaching screenshots from PC.

Yeah, I can confirm it on Smule.com. No idea how it is possible though. 

Wishchip

So what does the checkmark mean? That they are "partner artists"? You mean like Cyndi Lauper or Disney? I've seen some checkmarks with a ring around it, but other checkmarks with a solid purple "blast" behind it. In both instances, those users have invites open with as many as 12 months left on their invites. Some have seemingly no expiry date set.

Wishchip
28 minutes ago, opentype said:

Thanks for the info. So assuming everyone with a checkmark can keep invites open indefinitely, that would include:

Partner Artists (professional artists who collaborates with Smule)
"High-profile" brands
"Celebrities" (whatever that means)
Smule Ambassadors

So that still doesn't account for the two non-checkmarked users that music8 posted above. And frankly I have a hard time swallowing that Smule Ambassadors (the "Voices of the Community") don't have to follow the rules while the rest of us plebs have to. Sure doesn't sound like they're part of the Community now does it.

• like 1

opentype
On 8/8/2023 at 9:23 PM, Wishchip said:

And frankly I have a hard time swallowing that Smule Ambassadors (the "Voices of the Community") don't have to follow the rules while the rest of us plebs have to.

As far as I can see, they don’t have special privileges regarding invite times. I do see selected users (with checkmarks) take part in promotions, like a new celebrity joins the platform and some ‘high-profile singers’ get invited to join these artists privately before anyone else. This makes sense as Smule now has some great collabs to present when they launch the new partner artist on the platform. 

DuetWithAlli
On 8/8/2023 at 3:23 PM, Wishchip said:

Thanks for the info. So assuming everyone with a checkmark can keep invites open indefinitely, that would include:

Partner Artists (professional artists who collaborates with Smule)
"High-profile" brands
"Celebrities" (whatever that means)
Smule Ambassadors

So that still doesn't account for the two non-checkmarked users that music8 posted above. And frankly I have a hard time swallowing that Smule Ambassadors (the "Voices of the Community") don't have to follow the rules while the rest of us plebs have to. Sure doesn't sound like they're part of the Community now does it.

Totally! The Smule ambassadors/verified singers are not part of the community. They think that they are above the community. That’s why I avoid those types.

• like 2

DuetWithAlli

Smule seems to have changed this feature, and I’m not able to make sense out of it. I notice that some people I’m following have old invites on their invite lists if you go to their pages, but I didn’t receive their old invites along with the new. So I don’t know if they chose to reactivate their old invites, if Smule automatically reactivated their old invites for whatever reason, or if Smule stopped sending the reactivated invites out to all followers. 

I think I’m finally ready to update to the latest version so that I can see everything the way it is supposed to be seen. The only thing I know is that I have no invites showing on my page (at least not on my end). But I have no interest in reactivating old invites myself, so I can’t provide any answers as to what Smule has done with this feature. Does anyone know?

Edited by DuetWithAlli

duojet24
7 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

I notice that some people I’m following have old invites on their invite lists if you go to their pages, but I didn’t receive their old invites along with the new.

I'm assuming you mean you don't see their invite in your bookmarks under the Invites tab on your profile?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they'll only show up there if you previously had their invite boomarked, and didn't manually clear that bookmark on your own.

music8
8 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Smule seems to have changed this feature, and I’m not able to make sense out of it. I notice that some people I’m following have old invites on their invite lists if you go to their pages, but I didn’t receive their old invites along with the new. So I don’t know if they chose to reactivate their old invites, if Smule automatically reactivated their old invites for whatever reason, or if Smule stopped sending the reactivated invites out to all followers. 

This is what I noticed. In order to reactivate an invite, I had to edit the invite, choose reactivate invite and save. I had to go back and click edit again and check the option to "Invite Followers". There was no option to reactivate and invite followers during the same edit session. Maybe that would explain why you don't see some reactivated invites in your feed, they may not have checked the option to invite followers?? Just a guess.

• like 1
  • thank you! 1

DuetWithAlli
1 hour ago, music8 said:

This is what I noticed. In order to reactivate an invite, I had to edit the invite, choose reactivate invite and save. I had to go back and click edit again and check the option to "Invite Followers". There was no option to reactivate and invite followers during the same edit session. Maybe that would explain why you don't see some reactivated invites in your feed, they may not have checked the option to invite followers?? Just a guess.

Oh, that’s very helpful! Yes, you’re probably right. They must have missed the part where they were supposed to invite their followers. Thank you!

DuetWithAlli
2 hours ago, duojet24 said:

I'm assuming you mean you don't see their invite in your bookmarks under the Invites tab on your profile?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they'll only show up there if you previously had their invite boomarked, and didn't manually clear that bookmark on your own.

I see the old invites on their profiles, but I didn’t receive the reactivated invites in the invites tab on my profile. I had been receiving the reactivated invites along with the new invites. I think it’s probably what @music8 says, that they didn’t check the box to invite their followers.

The Minty Clinch
13 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Totally! The Smule ambassadors/verified singers are not part of the community. They think that they are above the community. That’s why I avoid those types.

I avoid that Elvis Presley guy now, never gives me a love or a cheeky message. He's so up himself.

• haha 2