Mobile Phone Interface for Recording on Smule App

_RamKrish1012

I started off using a Samsung 7 Mob Phone with splitters in 2017 to record songs on smule and the final recording was Terrible with a huge time las as much as 300milli seconds. Later I tried Tascam and Roland Go Pro and Yamaha MG06x...None of them worked and are all sitting in boxes Then I graduated to an iRig Pre + iPad + Head Phones. This was OK but pretty Basic. Next upward move with guidance from experts in Sing Salon I got myself an iRig Pro I/O with its own power supply to be used with my 6th Gen iPad+Audio Technica Headphones and an AKG D5 Dynamic Microphone. This works OK but still has its limitations. iRig Pro allows just Gain control and Vol Control for the head phones. After a while you leave them both at a fixed settings. I have searched high and low in Music shops and they have hundreds of Interfaces but all USB type designed for Desk Top Computers and Lap Tops. No One seems to know about Smule unfortunately

A lady Smule singing partner came up with high quality recordings and when I asked her for her secret she said she uses a Yeti Mic that connects straight to the Mob phone (meaning no interface reqd) 😱😱

Another Singing partner from Delhi is using. a Rode NTI Cond Mic with Focusrite and an iPhone . Awesome Sound quality

a Third buddy tells me he uses iPhone+Steinberg UR22+Shure SM57Mic+ Audio Technica Head Phones. He says SM58 Boosts lower frequencies where as the the AKG D5 vocal, I use he says has high frequency boost.

None of the sales chaps in Music stores in Sydney even know about Smule and I want to test drive a Focusrite / Steinberg, and try out various Rode, Shure, Senheisser Condenser mics. I cannot do this without buying these equipment our right. I have already blown over a grand on gadgets that are now sitting in a box now and do not want to splurge on more gadgets.

I should perhaps see if I can get these on rentals somewhere so I can try them all out before purchasing outright

Keeping Fingers Crossed 🤞🤞

DrD

I hear you . Let me share my experience that might help . You have already tried many gadgets already you have said , I will tell you what I have done . My Smule nick is @0AkifDemirel0 . Check my recordings and see what do you think . I am not great singer  LOL . Just check out the quality of the sound etc. 

I have tried many gadgets like yourself.

My current setup is

Ipad 7th generation , Apple camera kit with charging port , SSL 2+ sound interface , Shure SM58 SE microphone ( Sometimes I use Rode NT ) also I have two 5 " active speakers . I have used Over the head head phones but these did not worked for me . For some reason I can not hit the correct notes with over the heads . Now I am using KZ brand in ear phones . Works better . Shure SE 215 did not work for me either. I hope this helps for you.

_RamKrish1012

"SSL 2+ sound interface" Please tell me more. This could be the secret. I have a 6th gen iPad dedicated for Smule alone. Cost me AUD 750 don't want to upgrade my iPad. I will check out your audio. as for singing mate all of us Smule singers are at best bathroom singers seeking some appreciation and also having fund singing. So I would not worry about your vocals

• 2 weeks later...
LouELVIS

I do us say a shure sm58 beta cable makes all the difference in only use mogami gold nothing else I still use my IRIG mic pre in battery on battery in don't want anything that may cause ac hum into the signal chain my condensers IV used in the past the Rode nt-1a a handheld at-2010 condenser dynamic is have a samson Q8. AUDEX OM-2. A ELVIS STAGE MIC THE EV-RE-15 and my trusty SHURE SM58 BETA that's it for now AND REMEMBER YOUR RECORDING RATE IS 48KHZ ON SMULE REMEMBER THAT BEFORE BYING

_RamKrish1012

Thanks LouElvis. so you are recommending a Shure Sm58 Beta which is a Dynamic Mic. I am Using a AKG D5 Vocal which is on Par with the SM58 A Beta from tests as seen on you tube. Works fine but gas its limitations. I also own a Sony  FV 420 Dynamic hand held mic which is not as good as the AKG D5 Vocal. also after recording I have to pump up the audio volume before uploading

I am looking for a hand held Condenser mic to use with iRig Pro I/O and 48V Phantom Power supply.

I will definitely get the Mogami Gold Cable that you have been recommending all along

Thanks Buddy

RockMeSlowly
On 6/3/2021 at 4:22 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

I started off using a Samsung 7 Mob Phone with splitters in 2017 to record songs on smule and the final recording was Terrible with a huge time las as much as 300milli seconds. Later I tried Tascam and Roland Go Pro and Yamaha MG06x...None of them worked and are all sitting in boxes Then I graduated to an iRig Pre + iPad + Head Phones. This was OK but pretty Basic. Next upward move with guidance from experts in Sing Salon I got myself an iRig Pro I/O with its own power supply to be used with my 6th Gen iPad+Audio Technica Headphones and an AKG D5 Dynamic Microphone. This works OK but still has its limitations. iRig Pro allows just Gain control and Vol Control for the head phones. After a while you leave them both at a fixed settings. I have searched high and low in Music shops and they have hundreds of Interfaces but all USB type designed for Desk Top Computers and Lap Tops. No One seems to know about Smule unfortunately

A lady Smule singing partner came up with high quality recordings and when I asked her for her secret she said she uses a Yeti Mic that connects straight to the Mob phone (meaning no interface reqd) 😱😱

Another Singing partner from Delhi is using. a Rode NTI Cond Mic with Focusrite and an iPhone . Awesome Sound quality

a Third buddy tells me he uses iPhone+Steinberg UR22+Shure SM57Mic+ Audio Technica Head Phones. He says SM58 Boosts lower frequencies where as the the AKG D5 vocal, I use he says has high frequency boost.

None of the sales chaps in Music stores in Sydney even know about Smule and I want to test drive a Focusrite / Steinberg, and try out various Rode, Shure, Senheisser Condenser mics. I cannot do this without buying these equipment our right. I have already blown over a grand on gadgets that are now sitting in a box now and do not want to splurge on more gadgets.

I should perhaps see if I can get these on rentals somewhere so I can try them all out before purchasing outright

Keeping Fingers Crossed 🤞🤞

Get a good mic & a preamp. Slap an adapter on the cord exiting the preamp and feed it into a three way splitter. Fit the other two open female ends of the splitter with a cord that will merge them into one stereo female input for headphones. 

Plug the splitter into your device and your headphones into the cord you just set up.

Boom. That's the best sound and also your least expensive solution.

_RamKrish1012
12 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

Get a good mic & a preamp. Slap an adapter on the cord exiting the preamp and feed it into a three way splitter. Fit the other two open female ends of the splitter with a cord that will merge them into one stereo female input for headphones. Plug the splitter into your device and your headphones into the cord you just set up. Boom. That's the best sound and also your least expensive solution.

Boss you know what you are talking about but I am just a Boof head like Shrek  🙂 :

what is a Good Mic ? what is a Good Amp ? What is a Good adapter ? What three way splitter ?

Can you give details and share a pic of your set up please if you don't mind. Cheers

RockMeSlowly
On 6/19/2021 at 12:56 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

Boss you know what you are talking about but I am just a Boof head like Shrek  🙂 :

what is a Good Mic ? what is a Good Amp ? What is a Good adapter ? What three way splitter ?

Can you give details and share a pic of your set up please if you don't mind. Cheers

Sure thing.  I'll take pics later today, but a good mic is really anything that requires power. It's called a condenser mic. They range from $30 to $3000 and honestly there's little difference when it comes to Smule, mainly because of the inherent limitations of the medium.  

A pre-amp is what they call the system that powers the microphone. 

The reason I suggest this combination, rather than an interface only for your phone is you can also use this for traditional recording, plus it's less expensive.

Everything else is just cheap cables you can buy for under $10. 

A lot of people like to show off gear on the app for status, but it's overkill.  

Edited by RockMeSlowly
Typo

LouELVIS

First don't skimp on the mic and mic cable you get what you pay for  for SMULE it has a 48khz recording just like singsnap and others what you pay for is clean clear audio and a full sound were cheep mic makes you  sound like your to t bassy to tinny lots of static and no brake up were you got EXCELENT recordings each time happy singing

Edited by LouELVIS
Typo
  • like 1

_RamKrish1012
7 hours ago, LouELVIS said:

First don't skimp on the mic and mic cable you get what you pay for  for SMULE it has a 48khz recording just like singsnap and others what you pay for is clean clear audio and a full sound were cheep mic makes you  sound like your to t bassy to tinny lots of static and no brake up were you got EXCELENT recordings each time happy singing

I UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE. MOGAMI CABLE ON MY LIST. YES I HAVE 2 DYNAMIC MICS ONE SONY THAT IS TINNY AND ONE AKG THAT IS BASSY. SO AM LOOKING FOR A CONDENSER MIC BUT THERE ARE A ZILLION MICS TO CHOOSE FROM. I AM LEANING TOWARDS A  HAND HELD COND MIC AS I AM USED TOI HAVING THE MIC IN MY HAND AND MOVING IT AWAY FROM MY MOUTH TO ELIMINATE. BREATHING SOUNDS.

I am sorry about all caps was not looking at screen when I keyed it in

LouELVIS

WHY CONDENSER ?  IF IT DON'T HAVE A LOW NOISE FLOOR YOU'LL GET EVERYTHING IN THE ROOM. I CHOSE THE SHURE SM58 BETA SHURE SM58 HAS BEEN A INDUSTRY STANDARD BEATA IS AROUND $160.00 AND WILL OUTLAST YOU😂 IT IS MY MIC OF CHOICE IT NOW COMES WITH A TITANIUM HEAD TO PROTECT FROM DROPPING AND A RUBBER BAND AROUND THE MIC HEAD TO PREVENT ROLL OFF HOPE THIS HELPS ALSO " ITS A HOT MIC " LITTLE GAIN IF ANY TO GET A CLEAN VOCAL IF YOU GET ONE GET IT FROM A REPEATABLE DEALER THARE ARE MANY COUNTERFEITS OUT THERE I GOT MINE FROM. GUITAR CENTER.👍

_RamKrish1012
22 hours ago, LouELVIS said:

WHY CONDENSER ?  IF IT DON'T HAVE A LOW NOISE FLOOR YOU'LL GET EVERYTHING IN THE ROOM. I CHOSE THE SHURE SM58 BETA SHURE SM58 HAS BEEN A INDUSTRY STANDARD BEATA IS AROUND $160.00 AND WILL OUTLAST YOU😂 IT IS MY MIC OF CHOICE IT NOW COMES WITH A TITANIUM HEAD TO PROTECT FROM DROPPING AND A RUBBER BAND AROUND THE MIC HEAD TO PREVENT ROLL OFF HOPE THIS HELPS ALSO " ITS A HOT MIC " LITTLE GAIN IF ANY TO GET A CLEAN VOCAL IF YOU GET ONE GET IT FROM A REPEATABLE DEALER THARE ARE MANY COUNTERFEITS OUT THERE I GOT MINE FROM. GUITAR CENTER.👍

I understand and appreciate your response. Long time ago I watched a You Tube clip that Compared several dynamic microphones SM58 and AKGD5 vocal were compared and went head to head. When I went to DJ Music store Both were available and around the same price and the store manager recommended the AKG D5 Vocal. It has served me well for 4 years now

Just curious to test out a Condenser MIC with a 48V Phantom Power supply

_RamKrish1012
23 hours ago, LouELVIS said:

A AUTHORIZED DEALER OF SHURE PRODUCTS ...........MY SET UP

Wow  "You are an Authorised Dealer for Shure Products" That makes me sit up and Listen boss

Boss your set up is a bit Hi Tech for a Shrek Like me

I have the Yamaha MG06X as I did not know how to make best use of it in combination with iRig Pro I/O

What does the vocal Processor do ? What is that other unit in front of the Boss to which the XLRs are connected. Is this an interface

LouELVIS

First off I'm not a rep of SHURE I said by the SHURE SM58 BETA FROM A AUTHORIZED DEALER  THATS ALL . MANNY FAKE SM58 BETA'S MY FRIEND BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU BY. OR ORDER WHAT YOU BY

_RamKrish1012
2 hours ago, LouELVIS said:

First off I'm not a rep of SHURE I said by the SHURE SM58 BETA FROM A AUTHORIZED DEALER  THATS ALL . MANNY FAKE SM58 BETA'S MY FRIEND BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU BY. OR ORDER WHAT YOU BY

Sorry Boss Misunderstood the Caption of your message

I am looking at Shure BETA 87A Condenser Vocal Microphone. Three times the Price opf SM 58A

What do you think ?

LouELVIS

ID GO WITH THE SHURE SM86 MORE SUITED FOR THE MALE VOCAL RANGE IF YOU MUST HAVE A CONDENSER MICROPHONE HAPPY SINGING

LouELVIS

You should look into this it can hook up by blue tooth its musLady. K300 its my go to unitphotostudio_1620049499068.jpg.4a1a3452cd5ec6a44755d42d57b0638c.jpg

• 3 months later...
LouELVIS

Gonna have some fun today I'm going to hook up my iRig mic pre to my k300 WILL WORK THROUGH THE HEADSET AND SING THROUGH MY RODE NT-1A SEE HOW IT SOUNDS 😂😂😂😂😂

_RamKrish1012
20 hours ago, LouELVIS said:

Gonna have some fun today I'm going to hook up my iRig mic pre to my k300 WILL WORK THROUGH THE HEADSET AND SING THROUGH MY RODE NT-1A SEE HOW IT SOUNDS 😂😂😂😂😂

Best of Luck Buddy. Share your recording if yiu are happy with the outcome .

I keep thinking of getting a FocusRite but not sure if iRig Pro will work with Focusrite