Mobile Phone Interface for Recording on Smule App

sharmasatbir069

What does the vocal Processor do ? What is that other unit in front of the Boss to which the XLRs are connected. Is this an interface

LouELVIS

Gonna have some fun today I'm going to hook up my iRig mic pre to my k300 WILL WORK THROUGH THE HEADSET AND SING THROUGH MY RODE NT-1A SEE HOW IT SOUNDS 😂😂😂😂😂

LouELVIS

I found a real condenser mic does not work well with the K 300 but plugging a iRig mic pre into the headset will allow a nice recording with a dynamic microphone such as the shure beta 58 a🙂  ( this is the K 300 ) SEE BELOW😉

images.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
cl00bie

I have the following setup.  

• iPad generation 2 (yup, that's right iOS 12; that's all I need)
  • Behringer UMC 22.
  • Powered USB Hub.
  • MXL 990 Condenser Mic (Never had a problem with background noise).
  • Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones (the open back allows me to hear myself while I'm singing without feeding it through the monitor).
  • USB to Lightning adapter.

The only issue I have with the setup is that I can't charge the iPad while I'm using it.  But I can use it for 3 or 4 nights and then put it on the charging cord overnight.  I have the whole thing on a mic stand with a clip on tray for the mic interface and a bar to hang my headphones.  I can move my whole recording setup anywhere I want. 

• 3 weeks later...
IILANDOII

Lmao I was reading through this and when Lou responded with his comment In all caps I was dead 😂😂 I actually loled on that one just thought u guys should know 😂😂

• 2 months later...
_RamKrish1012

My Accidental Discovery ( posted this as a new Post but is relevant here too so doing a cut and paste job)

For over two years, I have been using my iRig Pro I/O Mobile Phone Interface with my 6th Gen iPad and an AKG D5 Vocal Dynamic Mic and Audi Technica Head phones. Thanks to Open Type for guiding me. Not the best final output but had to grin and bear it as I did not know of better options for interfaces. As others have mentioned the final recording was sort of FLAT.

I have also had my Yamaha MG06x Mixer sitting idle on my Table since I got my iRig Pro I/O not knowing hos to use it. No point adding more effects on top of all the Fx on Smule.

I bought a new iPad stand and dismantled the entire set up and when I was reconnecting I decided to plug my Mic into the Yamaha and connect the output to my iPad but using nil effects.

I suddenly realised the recordings were sounding fabulous and rich and full. It took me a while to figure out that I was passing the Mono Signal from my Mic into the Yamaha Mixer and the Output from the Yamaha which is stereo was plugged into the iRig Pro and on to iPad

It is not just me thinking it is better. All my Smule partners  say it sounds Great

So my Smule Recordings now have Stereo effect and not Mono anymore 

Isa_Bella
On 6/29/2021 at 9:32 AM, LouELVIS said:

You should look into this it can hook up by blue tooth its musLady. K300 its my go to unitphotostudio_1620049499068.jpg.4a1a3452cd5ec6a44755d42d57b0638c.jpg

OMG this looks complicated

ILANDOI

Hey bro I had to make a new account on here cus I forgot my email lol but anyways I use the Irig pre hd which is similar to the pro. What is the exact setup you have now? And it’s better than the Irig pro when it’s directly plugged into your phone? I’m very curious about this because like yourself, I’ve spent alot of time, trial and error, trying to figure out best mic and connection convo for best audio quality. Right now I’m running Irig pre hd with rode nt1 condensor

_RamKrish1012
7 hours ago, ILANDOI said:

Hey bro I had to make a new account on here cus I forgot my email lol but anyways I use the Irig pre hd which is similar to the pro. What is the exact setup you have now? And it’s better than the Irig pro when it’s directly plugged into your phone? I’m very curious about this because like yourself, I’ve spent alot of time, trial and error, trying to figure out best mic and connection convo for best audio quality. Right now I’m running Irig pre hd with rode nt1 condensor

Are you asking me ?

_RamKrish1012
10 hours ago, ILANDOI said:

Ya lol

As a Rule please try and  quote the note you are responding to fully or partially. I asked as I was not sure.

OK My exact set up is as Follows

1- I have a 6th Gen 2018 model  iPad with a Lightning Port.

2- I also have the iRig Pro I/O with its own Power supply.

3- I have an Audio Technica ATH M50x Head Phones.

4- I have an AKG D5 Vocal Dynamic Mic, I prefer this to Shure SM 58 in Comparison

5- Lastly I also have my Yamaha MG06x Mixer. ( I have had it for ages but started to use it only recently on Smule)

6- Set Up: the iRigPro I/O is Plugged to mains Power supply. iRig Pro is then plugged directly to my iPad and it charges and powers my iPad all the time so it is 100% charge 24/7. My head phone is Plugged into the iRig Pro. My Dynamic Mic is plugged into the Yamaha Input which is Mono. I get the Stereo out put from the Yamaha plugged into the iRig Pro using XLR Cables

Yamaha allows me Variations of Reverb times and delays etc. I chose the Delay setting with Echo. All other settings on my Yamaha is neutral.

I have used an iRig Pre that used batteries and  as battery level wen down often ruining recordings half way. One day it died and i Bought the iRig Pro I/o with Power supply

I love the Rode NT1 Condensor Mic but it may be an overkill for my study that i use as my Studio with a lot of Glass windows making the room highly reverberant

On Smule before recording I chose Reverb Characteristic setting as 75% and Reverb amount as 60% irrespective of what settings the original invite contains as these are related to properties of my recording environment. Most people get away a 50/50 default setting

Trust this helps

smule set up.jpeg

ILANDOI

Awesome thanks man. So you’d recommend me getting the mixer? You think it improves your audio? Also can I get your username so I can listen to your recordings? Just wondering why you set room and reverb so high I usually do like 23 23 or 35 25 most of the time. Do you just like the extra reverb or does it work better for your voice? Thanks 

sdr
6 hours ago, ILANDOI said:

I usually do like 23 23 or 35 25 most of the time

I used to keep high value for these. Then a more experienced friend of mine noted that my recordings have too much echo and suggested that I keep them under 30. I keep them between 25 and 30 ever since. Don't care which is which and what smule calls them.😛

_RamKrish1012
8 hours ago, ILANDOI said:

Awesome thanks man. So you’d recommend me getting the mixer? You think it improves your audio? Also can I get your username so I can listen to your recordings? Just wondering why you set room and reverb so high I usually do like 23 23 or 35 25 most of the time. Do you just like the extra reverb or does it work better for your voice? Thanks 

No Mixer is not what you need now. My Yamaha mixer is just basic and cost me just AUD $ 85. That Can wait

Let me have your set up details and tel, me what your problems are to see if I can help.

Perhaps I have to see what the difference is between iRig Pre HD and iRig Pro I/O. Dont think they are the same in quality considering I have used iRig Pre after which they brought out the iRig Pre HD and iRig Pro I/o was brought out after that.

Also you are using a Rode NT1 Condenser Mic for  which you have to use the Phantom 48V setting

Does your iRig Pre Hd have its own power supply ?

My Smule id is the same as here _RamKrish1012. I will also, listen to your recordings to see what they sound like.

Most of my recordings are Indian Movies in Hindi and Tamil

_RamKrish1012
8 hours ago, ILANDOI said:

I just did a Google search to see the difference between iRig Pre Hd and iRig Pro I/O.

I spotted a big difference straight away.

I rRig Pro I/O has a GAIN CONTROL know and that virtually determines the output quality. I took Open Types advice and use a setting of 8 for Gain and it sits there are 8 permanently

I dont think You can Plug your Head Phone into your iRig Pre HD as seen from specification ( I could be wrong) and that can be a major issue.  With iRig Pro I/O the Smule Invite recording comes out of the iRig Pro and your recording goes to the iRig Pro and then on to your iPhone or iPad

Not sure if this Link will work if not please copy to our browser to compare the two units

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/IK_Multimedia_iRig_Pre_HD_vs_IK_Multimedia_iRig_Pro_vs_IK_Multimedia_iRig_Pre_vs_IK_Multimedia_Irig_Stream/BHitems/1366293-REG_1311490-REG_840641-REG_1523177-REG

ILANDOI

I totally understand everything your trying to say and thanks. Ik the functions and what not I’ve used Irig pre Irig pre hd and have also looked up multiple different ways to try n achieve the best quality for my vocals. There’s a lot of variables, with how different mics affect dif voices, if your room is treated or not, and the different setups. I was really just trying to see what setup you have found to be the best quality so far. I’ve read hundreds of articles and watched hundreds of YouTube videos lol and have tried multiple diff solutions lol. Which I’m sure you have also. I’m actually quite curious how the apogee mic sounds Ive heard a lot of good reviews about that. What’s the significance with your gain at 8? The gain on the Irig pre I only set it to like 3 and anything louder I feel like I’m too loud but I’m not hitting in the red yet. It also has headphone plugins and a direct monitoring switch which I leave off since we can hear ourselves in smule. 

_RamKrish1012
2 hours ago, ILANDOI said:

I totally understand everything your trying to say and thanks. Ik the functions and what not I’ve used Irig pre Irig pre hd and have also looked up multiple different ways to try n achieve the best quality for my vocals. There’s a lot of variables, with how different mics affect dif voices, if your room is treated or not, and the different setups. I was really just trying to see what setup you have found to be the best quality so far. I’ve read hundreds of articles and watched hundreds of YouTube videos lol and have tried multiple diff solutions lol. Which I’m sure you have also. I’m actually quite curious how the apogee mic sounds Ive heard a lot of good reviews about that. What’s the significance with your gain at 8? The gain on the Irig pre I only set it to like 3 and anything louder I feel like I’m too loud but I’m not hitting in the red yet. It also has headphone plugins and a direct monitoring switch which I leave off since we can hear ourselves in smule. 

Any thing Higher than 8, we will be hitting the red most of the time. Loks like you have Gain control on your iRig Pre HD from what you are saying. Is the control on the side. Can you plug your head phone into iRig Pre or is it plugged direct to the Phone as this could be a major factor.

Is there any way you can test run and i RiG Pro I/o before Buying. 

Since you are already owing a good Condenser mic Rode NT1 ( BTW Rode Factory is about 5Kms from my home) if at all suggest you but a Hand held Dynamic Mike either Shure Sm58 or an SAKG D5 Vocal. There are you tube videos comparing these two Dynamic Mikes. Any way a Mic is an Individual choice I also have a Sony  F-V420 Dynamic Mic and with this after recording I have to bump up the volume by 3.

Good Luck. & Cheers

Naresh_Kumar

I purchased professional setup 4-5 months back and singing became a passion after that :).

My setup includes Focusrite ( which includes an interface + monitor + mic ). I am using iPhone 12 with this setup. You will need a USB bank to connect properly to your phone for this setup. Also you will need an OTG adapter. Everything purchased on amazon. Of course the setup also includes a stand for mobile + stand for mic. Now you owe me a coffee for this million dollar consultancy 😀

_RamKrish1012
16 hours ago, Naresh_Kumar said:

I purchased professional setup 4-5 months back and singing became a passion after that :).

My setup includes Focusrite ( which includes an interface + monitor + mic ). I am using iPhone 12 with this setup. You will need a USB bank to connect properly to your phone for this setup. Also you will need an OTG adapter. Everything purchased on amazon. Of course the setup also includes a stand for mobile + stand for mic. Now you owe me a coffee for this million dollar consultancy 😀

Hang on before we chaps buy you a Coffee you forget that you were not happy with your set up and thats how we connected. You said the recording sounded Flat. BTW Focusrite is out of Production now and superceded

_RamKrish1012
8 minutes ago, Naresh_Kumar said:

So you mean my million dollar consultancy is wasted ? 

Not at all. Return the Lot to Amazon and claim damages 😞

• like 1

Naresh_Kumar

Thanks for your million dollar advice 😀 Now we are at par 😀

_RamKrish1012
7 minutes ago, Naresh_Kumar said:

Thanks for your million dollar advice 😀 Now we are at par 😀

Now that we are at Par Just be Patient as Rode are going to release a butter Mob Phone inTerface

• like 1