Mobile Phone Interface for Recording on Smule App

Naresh_Kumar
1 hour ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Hang on before we chaps buy you a Coffee you forget that you were not happy with your set up and thats how we connected. You said the recording sounded Flat. BTW Focusrite is out of Production now and superceded

Just a bit of correction .....

I wrote "Just got it and yes it should be the best option for smule. Thought it has its own problems. But still I found it amazing. Finally studio sound in smule. Any other options anybody has tried ?"

_RamKrish1012
18 minutes ago, Naresh_Kumar said:

I wrote "Just got it and yes it should be the best option for smule. Thought it has its own problems. But still I found it amazing. Finally studio sound in smule. Any other options anybody has tried ?"

Glad you are Happy. Lets see what you say in six months time about your set up and then we will consider

• 3 months later...
ILANDOI

You know what’s funny about all of this lol. We’ve spent so much time and money talking about this and trying out different setups when I swear just reg apple headphones seem to beat almost all of these concoctions lmao. Smh 🤦‍♂️ 

• like 2

RockMeSlowly
On 6/3/2021 at 4:22 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

I started off using a Samsung 7 Mob Phone with splitters in 2017 to record songs on smule and the final recording was Terrible with a huge time las as much as 300milli seconds. Later I tried Tascam and Roland Go Pro and Yamaha MG06x...None of them worked and are all sitting in boxes Then I graduated to an iRig Pre + iPad + Head Phones. This was OK but pretty Basic. Next upward move with guidance from experts in Sing Salon I got myself an iRig Pro I/O with its own power supply to be used with my 6th Gen iPad+Audio Technica Headphones and an AKG D5 Dynamic Microphone. This works OK but still has its limitations. iRig Pro allows just Gain control and Vol Control for the head phones. After a while you leave them both at a fixed settings. I have searched high and low in Music shops and they have hundreds of Interfaces but all USB type designed for Desk Top Computers and Lap Tops. No One seems to know about Smule unfortunately

A lady Smule singing partner came up with high quality recordings and when I asked her for her secret she said she uses a Yeti Mic that connects straight to the Mob phone (meaning no interface reqd) 😱😱

Another Singing partner from Delhi is using. a Rode NTI Cond Mic with Focusrite and an iPhone . Awesome Sound quality

a Third buddy tells me he uses iPhone+Steinberg UR22+Shure SM57Mic+ Audio Technica Head Phones. He says SM58 Boosts lower frequencies where as the the AKG D5 vocal, I use he says has high frequency boost.

None of the sales chaps in Music stores in Sydney even know about Smule and I want to test drive a Focusrite / Steinberg, and try out various Rode, Shure, Senheisser Condenser mics. I cannot do this without buying these equipment our right. I have already blown over a grand on gadgets that are now sitting in a box now and do not want to splurge on more gadgets.

I should perhaps see if I can get these on rentals somewhere so I can try them all out before purchasing outright

Keeping Fingers Crossed 🤞🤞

I just use a standard splitter and the quality is as good as it's going to get through this sort of connection.

My left and right wired earbuds go direct into it and the microphone input is fed from the same studio mic I use to make proper recordings.

RockMeSlowly
1 hour ago, ILANDOI said:

You know what’s funny about all of this lol. We’ve spent so much time and money talking about this and trying out different setups when I swear just reg apple headphones seem to beat almost all of these concoctions lmao. Smh 🤦‍♂️ 

haha True. There's only so much sound data that's going to get through the web chain.

RockMeSlowly
On 1/13/2022 at 1:41 AM, Naresh_Kumar said:

I responded below; a standard 3 way splitter hooked up to any decent condenser mic is perfectly fine. Any setup you're comfortable with is the right one.

• 3 months later...
Anshuman
On 6/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, _RamKrish1012 said:

A lady Smule singing partner came up with high quality recordings and when I asked her for her secret she said she uses a Yeti Mic that connects straight to the Mob phone (meaning no interface reqd) 😱😱

Another Singing partner from Delhi is using. a Rode NTI Cond Mic with Focusrite and an iPhone . Awesome Sound quality

I would like to share one of my recordings to you with simple set up I.e., IPhone 12 connected with Sony mdr 150AP earphones through lightening connector. I find my voice sounds cheap, and like having burs around a string, compared with that of co-singer.  Earlier I have also tried apple earphones but singing through them sounds too husky although gain is better (compared to its out put existing one is better). I even tried using Irig preHd with AT2020 mic through XLR, but the experience was even worse and I returned all. I am a novice in all these sound output thing. Could you suggest me as to how to get the sound quality in recording, matching with that of my cosinger. Here is my recoding for you to hear ( pl. listen especially to the part where I stopped and she starts where difference is clearly noticed)

https://www.smule.com/c/2598866363_4094196539

Edited by Anshuman

PaulNuker
On 5/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, ILANDOI said:

In my experience I would highly disagree with this. I hear some people using them sound wonderful, but for me it sounds so terrible! I don't know if I just have a crappy pair of apple earbuds. It sounds muffled most of the time, and it distorts the sound because there's way too much gain, and even when I hold the mic as far away as possible it still sounds clipped/distorted when I'm at full volume. I only use it when I'm doing a group project where everybody else is on earbuds, otherwise I avoid them like the plague lol

• 3 weeks later...
Anshuman
On 9/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, PaulNuker said:

In my experience I would highly disagree with this. I hear some people using them sound wonderful, but for me it sounds so terrible! I don't know if I just have a crappy pair of apple earbuds. It sounds muffled most of the time, and it distorts the sound because there's way too much gain, and even when I hold the mic as far away as possible it still sounds clipped/distorted when I'm at full volume. I only use it when I'm doing a group project where everybody else is on earbuds, otherwise I avoid them like the plague lol

Yes, the same muffled sound experience I had using Apple Iphone 12 & earphone. I still could not figure out how the people sound so crisp using the same or may be I don't know about their exact set up although they seem to be using apple wired earphone on VOC  

• 2 weeks later...