Is it me or are people too polite to ask others not to interact with them?

yaunti

Since I have been on smule, for several years. There are users who never like or comment on any duet that I sing with them. Users who ignore comments and Inbox messages. I am not here for a popularity contest but if I compliment someone or ask them to open a song, or invite them, they could at least have the courtesy to respond.

I used to join every song I knew in the invite section from people I followed, especially from singers I liked. A follower of one of the users I follow, once asked my why don't I get VIP and open my own invites instead of always joining that user. So i stopped joining her for a while.

There are users who have made it so I cannot join them, 1 user today blocked me today after I sent them an invite, and there is one user who I have a feeling may have quit two months ago because of me joining them. But then again their profile said they were getting hit on and that's not something I do. 

I don't typically look at people's profiles, except the few I have pinned to my profile. If someone asks me not to join or send invites, I won't. Is it really that hard not to communicate on a social media site or is it just me?

• sad 1

opentype

I would suggest to only focus on the Smule interactions where there is mutual interest in singing together. 

I see every OC and every comment or message as an offer of an interaction, but no one actually owes me anything. Even an OC is not a commitment for an interaction. It’s an offer to create a recording of us together. For most users, Smule is just a hobby. They might have busy lives and just open the app occasionally and then see dozens, if not hundreds or even thousands of notifications. Some try to react to as many interactions as possible, some don’t. Both is fine. 
I can also easily see why people block others. If they have to ask someone to stop messaging, how often will that actually stop anything? It’s more like an invitation to now ask for the reasons and so it might make things worse and lead to even more messages. That just doesn’t work, especially for women and users with many followers who might be flooded with messages every day. 

• like 2

yaunti

I get what you're saying about singing with people who have mutual interests. I am constantly trying to find new people to sing with to open up the song selections I can join. The few people who do join me sing basically the same songs repeatedly and although they request me to join their tracks, they rarely join mine. Basically if it I want my followers to join me, I have to open up the same 5 or 6 songs. 

As far as women, I have seen a few complaints about guys using it as a dating site. People gotta protect themselves.

At the same time, getting blocked because someone doesn't want you joining them but they don't say something makes people think they did something wrong at first until they come to the conclusion that joining others had to be the reason.

I can also see your point about people wanting to know why and it causing drama but if they can ignore a notification for a comment, they can just as easily ignore a notification for someone who has joined them.

DuetWithAlli

It might be kind of awkward for me to answer this. I think opentype pretty much nailed it. People have different reasons for singing on Smule and different obligations in their lives. It’s hard to know why someone may have blocked you. Honestly, I’ve blocked people solely for sending something to my inbox. If it says “no inbox” on my page, and something passes my inbox, you’re asking to get blocked. 

My advice is that you might want to look for newer users with a low number of followers. Someone with crap tons of followers is less likely to form new partnerships. That’s actually why I abandoned my account. Not because of one person, but because of too many people expecting too much from me. I sing with people because I really love them or I really love their singing ... usually both. Some people, I have been singing with for over five years. And even then, I rarely join their songs if I don’t also love the song. I appreciate all joins and really listen to them. But I am not the type to kiss people’s butts to get them to sing with me. I don’t need it. I’m happy if people like singing with me, but I don’t owe anyone anything. Not even an explanation. If someone expects an explanation from me, well ... that is also an offense worthy of a block.

Yeah I’m kind of b****** but anyway. I never claim to be anything besides someone who really loves singing.

Further advice is that if you want people who are dedicated to joining you because you joined them ... try a group. In my opinion, that is what groups are for. Personally, I can’t stand groups and actively try to avoid people who are in them. But it might be the best way to get yourself out there.

Edit: Sorry, I had one more thought. Not answering comments or messages IS the polite way of saying you don’t want to interact with someone IMO. If I wanted to be impolite, I’d tell the other person to eff off.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
  • love it! 1

yaunti
21 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

It might be kind of awkward for me to answer this. I think opentype pretty much nailed it. People have different reasons for singing on Smule and different obligations in their lives. It’s hard to know why someone may have blocked you. Honestly, I’ve blocked people solely for sending something to my inbox. If it says “no inbox” on my page, and something passes my inbox, you’re asking to get blocked. 

My advice is that you might want to look for newer users with a low number of followers. Someone with crap tons of followers is less likely to form new partnerships. That’s actually why I abandoned my account. Not because of one person, but because of too many people expecting too much from me. I sing with people because I really love them or I really love their singing ... usually both. Some people, I have been singing with for over five years. And even then, I rarely join their songs if I don’t also love the song. I appreciate all joins and really listen to them. But I am not the type to kiss people’s butts to get them to sing with me. I don’t need it. I’m happy if people like singing with me, but I don’t owe anyone anything. Not even an explanation. If someone expects an explanation from me, well ... that is also an offense worthy of a block.

Yeah I’m kind of b****** but anyway. I never claim to be anything besides someone who really loves singing.

Further advice is that if you want people who are dedicated to joining you because you joined them ... try a group. In my opinion, that is what groups are for. Personally, I can’t stand groups and actively try to avoid people who are in them. But it might be the best way to get yourself out there.

Edit: Sorry, I had one more thought. Not answering comments or messages IS the polite way of saying you don’t want to interact with someone IMO. If I wanted to be impolite, I’d tell the other person to eff off.

That's one thing I rarely look at is people's profiles. I only started looking at a few this year after I tagged them to my page as my favorites. I wouldn't expect anyone to kiss anyone's rare to get joins and I hope that's not how I was coming off.

Maybe you're right Alli.

DuetWithAlli

Edit: never mind, I’ve said too much already. If it doesn’t make you happy to sing with me or anyone else, for any reason, don’t do it. That’s the best advice I have. That’s all. Ok ... bye.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
  • like 1
  • love it! 1

yaunti
5 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Edit: never mind, I’ve said too much already. If it doesn’t make you happy to sing with me or anyone else, for any reason, don’t do it. That’s the best advice I have. That’s all. Ok ... bye.

No I agreed.with you that not interacting is a way to say eff off. I came across a different profile for one of the users mentioned in the feed because they joined one of my followers/followees. I listened to a couple of new recordings because they can sing and then blocked them. That way I hopefully won't be able to join any of their songs, see or be tempted to bother them. 

But you're still right, if one doesn't like joining or interacting with someone, they shouldn't. The socially inept & introverted loners will get the clue eventually. Thanks again for the advice.

yaunti
1 hour ago, yaunti said:

No I agreed.with you that not interacting is a way to say eff off. I came across a different profile for one of the users mentioned in the feed because they joined one of my followers/followees. I listened to a couple of new recordings because they can sing and then blocked them. That way I hopefully won't be able to join any of their songs, see or be tempted to bother them. 

But you're still right, if one doesn't like joining or interacting with someone, they shouldn't. The socially inept & introverted loners will get the clue eventually. Thanks again for the advice.

Well agreed after I thought about it.

Crazyjster

Bottom line...this is a karaoke app for fun. When people feel like they need to get multiple accounts (myself included) due to issues with followers it’s sad. @yaunti if you don’t like the response or lack of  response join someone else. 
Personally my lack of response is polite at times, or sometimes I am busy or accidentally overlooked things. I am human. You don’t know people”s situations. My biggest peeve is If I see an OC has been shared to something that looks like a blind love group I will absolutely not respond and if a person continues to join me and share I will block them.  I don’t know if you are a part of that but that is another thing that might be getting you ignored and blocked. 

yaunti
3 hours ago, Crazyjster said:

Bottom line...this is a karaoke app for fun. When people feel like they need to get multiple accounts (myself included) due to issues with followers it’s sad. @yaunti if you don’t like the response or lack of  response join someone else. 
Personally my lack of response is polite at times, or sometimes I am busy or accidentally overlooked things. I am human. You don’t know people”s situations. My biggest peeve is If I see an OC has been shared to something that looks like a blind love group I will absolutely not respond and if a person continues to join me and share I will block them.  I don’t know if you are a part of that but that is another thing that might be getting you ignored and blocked. 

Nope I just sing and will occasionally when it asks for users to send the invite to, will actually enter users on occasion, to ask them to sing with me. If someone joins me, I'll listen. And give a like if I like it. I also thank people for opening or joining. And if it's warrents, I give a compliment. Rarely, I might ask a user to open a song.

I used to join every song I knew when I first started, now I only sing a few when I got on from the selections from the invite notification section, how many songs I sing depend on my mood & how much time but I use the bookmark feature if I want to sing a song or if I see something from a user i haven't joined in a while. 

There are user who get up set because they get to many followers or that the people they're following open to many songs, some.of those users create different account, I've met a few. I am not part of any groups and I almost never pass along or tag someone in an OC.

I understand stand people are busy but no one's always busy. If you give a thank you or compliment, there's a like button next to comments, at some occasionally it could be hit. I'm not saying everytime or everytime they get on but occasionally. Some common courtesy. There are users I follow who might respond once or twice a month, or who send out the mass thank you joiners message, and some who actually message or send me requests. That's cool, but there are some who it's like interacting with a machine, no interaction ever. Once they come off as a machine I stop trying to interact with them. Not all of these "machine" users block people, and the ones who follow me like this I don't get, like why follow someone you're never gonna interact with outside of joining. Sometimes I wish smule had an option to go into my followers list like on Instagram, so I could remove their follows or at least the people who follow and don't even join my songs.

Another of my pet peeves is people who block people after getting asked to sing on the app, that's all an invitation is, whether it's in the inbox or in a comment section. That's happened to me a several times that and I've heard from others it's happens to them.

In my early days of smule I used to send an invitation to everyone I followed, every time I opened the app. After a while, I realized that it could be considered spamming and I quit. I understand a repeated spam blocker who is constantly sending multiple personal invites getting blocked.

Blocking is supposed to be for people who have done something wrong, for people who have violated guidelines or at least that's how I viewed it.

When I find out I've been blocked, I start trying to figure out what I did wrong and I am sure there are many who do the same. Realizing it's because one posted a comment or sent an invite is the frustrating part. For those who block after getting invites, I've always felt like why you here if you're gonna not only turn down but block people from ever giving you the opportunity to sing. The point of the app is to have fun and sing. There are users who join me who I don't like how they sound, including some of my followers. If they follow me and join something I open, I'll join invites when I get them. It takes time to open an OC, and I figure it's the least I can do for someone who actually takes time to join them. My account is small 450 followers and 200 followees. I understand people with larger accounts cannot join every users that sends an invite every time. 

Something I'd love for smule to do is create a separate tab in the inbox for just personal or direct invites. That way messages can be kept separate. 

yaunti
1 hour ago, yaunti said:

Nope I just sing and will occasionally when it asks for users to send the invite to, will actually enter users on occasion, to ask them to sing with me. If someone joins me, I'll listen. And give a like if I like it. I also thank people for opening or joining. And if it's warrents, I give a compliment. Rarely, I might ask a user to open a song.

I used to join every song I knew when I first started, now I only sing a few when I got on from the selections from the invite notification section, how many songs I sing depend on my mood & how much time but I use the bookmark feature if I want to sing a song or if I see something from a user i haven't joined in a while. 

There are user who get up set because they get to many followers or that the people they're following open to many songs, some.of those users create different account, I've met a few. I am not part of any groups and I almost never pass along or tag someone in an OC.

I understand stand people are busy but no one's always busy. If you give a thank you or compliment, there's a like button next to comments, at some occasionally it could be hit. I'm not saying everytime or everytime they get on but occasionally. Some common courtesy. There are users I follow who might respond once or twice a month, or who send out the mass thank you joiners message, and some who actually message or send me requests. That's cool, but there are some who it's like interacting with a machine, no interaction ever. Once they come off as a machine I stop trying to interact with them. Not all of these "machine" users block people, and the ones who follow me like this I don't get, like why follow someone you're never gonna interact with outside of joining. Sometimes I wish smule had an option to go into my followers list like on Instagram, so I could remove their follows or at least the people who follow and don't even join my songs.

Another of my pet peeves is people who block people after getting asked to sing on the app, that's all an invitation is, whether it's in the inbox or in a comment section. That's happened to me a several times that and I've heard from others it's happens to them.

In my early days of smule I used to send an invitation to everyone I followed, every time I opened the app. After a while, I realized that it could be considered spamming and I quit. I understand a repeated spam blocker who is constantly sending multiple personal invites getting blocked.

Blocking is supposed to be for people who have done something wrong, for people who have violated guidelines or at least that's how I viewed it.

When I find out I've been blocked, I start trying to figure out what I did wrong and I am sure there are many who do the same. Realizing it's because one posted a comment or sent an invite is the frustrating part. For those who block after getting invites, I've always felt like why you here if you're gonna not only turn down but block people from ever giving you the opportunity to sing. The point of the app is to have fun and sing. There are users who join me who I don't like how they sound, including some of my followers. If they follow me and join something I open, I'll join invites when I get them. It takes time to open an OC, and I figure it's the least I can do for someone who actually takes time to join them. My account is small 450 followers and 200 followees. I understand people with larger accounts cannot join every users that sends an invite every time. 

Something I'd love for smule to do is create a separate tab in the inbox for just personal or direct invites. That way messages can be kept separate. 

Any how I'm a direct person, I dont always pickup on clues/hints right away. I tend to see things in black & white with little gray. If I don't want to talk to or interact with people online I tell them. If they have an issue after I tell them, then I block them. Currently on smule I have 3 users blocked. I agree, I don't like users having to feel the need to create multiple accounts and I don't ever want to be the cause. Nothing I have done on the app should warrant it. I do follow others and have unfollowed people for being antisocial machines. When I created this feed, I was annoyed for getting blocked for doing nothing more than sending someone an invite/asking them to sing. And it bothered me that I thought someone quit because I was joining them. I've got general & social anxiety, so something's stay on my mind but my frustration was basically there's a lack common courtesy. Idk how smule does it but on other apps, so many blocks and your off. I've never experienced that and I don't want to get booted because someone doesn't want to sing or interact with users on here.

Edit/added: and doesn't want to tell them/tell them first.

Edited by yaunti
Finishing thought.
  • like 1

yaunti
1 hour ago, Danny_McSmule said:

Personally, I’m much less likely to join an audio-only OC than a video OC. To me, audio-only joins are like listening to your favorite TV show rather than actually watching it. 😂 

Honestly, It took a lot of coaching to get me to finally start showing my face behind a mask, let alone completely. The camera gives people stage freight or anxiety, among other issues. It's fine for users that won't join anything except a video. That's why when I wanna sing but am bothered, I blackout my camera. That way I can be comfortable and others can have their video at the same time.

• 1 month later...
RockMeSlowly
On 12/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, opentype said:

I would suggest to only focus on the Smule interactions where there is mutual interest in singing together. 

I see every OC and every comment or message as an offer of an interaction, but no one actually owes me anything. Even an OC is not a commitment for an interaction. It’s an offer to create a recording of us together. For most users, Smule is just a hobby. They might have busy lives and just open the app occasionally and then see dozens, if not hundreds or even thousands of notifications. Some try to react to as many interactions as possible, some don’t. Both is fine. 
I can also easily see why people block others. If they have to ask someone to stop messaging, how often will that actually stop anything? It’s more like an invitation to now ask for the reasons and so it might make things worse and lead to even more messages. That just doesn’t work, especially for women and users with many followers who might be flooded with messages every day. 

Some people take this too far though.  I can sympathize with the original poster on one level.  I acknowledge everyone who joins my OCs and while I don't expect everyone to do that, someone taking the time to put a really nice vocal on your work, should be acknowledged.

Why make a public OC otherwise?  You can tell when someone really put their heart into a join and it's wrong to ignore it.  

Honestly, almost everyone does acknowledge me and I'm grateful of that, but I can think of one person who never does and it's SO frustrating! We have some great duets that I want to use on social media and I can't even get a yes/no on permission. 🙄

We're all here to support each other. At least we should be 

• like 1
  • love it! 1

DuetWithAlli

Since other people are chiming in, I’m going to come back because I feel I have more to add. These are just a few examples of interactions that have led me not to answer my inbox and to be careful with interactions on smule.

You may think you’re being nice by saying “hi” ... oh, it’s ok to message this person if I’m not hitting on him/her. But in my experience, if I answer “hi”, I am opening the door to personal questions ... which I hate.

I abandoned my first smule account because a man got pissy with me for not wanting to video chat with him outside of smule. Being new, I didn’t know how to delete recordings or block, so I started over.

My second account, a man messaged me with a detailed description of what he was doing whilst watching my videos. So I deleted my videos and left that account too. It was a long time before I made videos again and I try to be more conservative with my appearance now.

Sometimes men ask for contact info outside of smule, which is almost always a bad idea. I’ve also received offer of money in exchange for obscene photos.

And it’s not always about getting hit on by men. I had a bizarre interaction with a woman which supposedly led to the breakup of her engagement. I lost a long time friend because his ex messaged me to tell me he was stalking me. And even though I knew he wasn’t, she told me other things that made me feel I had no choice but to block both of them. 

That’s when I stopped answering my inbox.

As far as not commenting ... if I feel like, this person is going to join all of my OCs and expect me to comment on every one for the rest of my life, and may expect me to join in return ... yeah, I’m not commenting. Apparently I’m in the minority on this, but I think it’s infinitely more rude to pretend you like someone more than you do and then end up disappointing him/her.

As far as making OCs public ... if smule gave the option to send invites to my followers only and not to the general public, without making them private ... I would absolutely do that. But it’s either make them public, or make them private. Which leads to people questioning why I made them private, and also makes them invisible to friends who come to my page looking for my invites. And I’m absolutely not individually messaging private invites to my followers because that is just asking for trouble. 

Wow, sorry for my rambling! This all just kind of touched a nerve with me tonight. But hopefully it will help to hear it from my perspective.

• like 1

yaunti
4 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Since other people are chiming in, I’m going to come back because I feel I have more to add. These are just a few examples of interactions that have led me not to answer my inbox and to be careful with interactions on smule.

You may think you’re being nice by saying “hi” ... oh, it’s ok to message this person if I’m not hitting on him/her. But in my experience, if I answer “hi”, I am opening the door to personal questions ... which I hate.

I abandoned my first smule account because a man got pissy with me for not wanting to video chat with him outside of smule. Being new, I didn’t know how to delete recordings or block, so I started over.

My second account, a man messaged me with a detailed description of what he was doing whilst watching my videos. So I deleted my videos and left that account too. It was a long time before I made videos again and I try to be more conservative with my appearance now.

Sometimes men ask for contact info outside of smule, which is almost always a bad idea. I’ve also received offer of money in exchange for obscene photos.

And it’s not always about getting hit on by men. I had a bizarre interaction with a woman which supposedly led to the breakup of her engagement. I lost a long time friend because his ex messaged me to tell me he was stalking me. And even though I knew he wasn’t, she told me other things that made me feel I had no choice but to block both of them. 

That’s when I stopped answering my inbox.

As far as not commenting ... if I feel like, this person is going to join all of my OCs and expect me to comment on every one for the rest of my life, and may expect me to join in return ... yeah, I’m not commenting. Apparently I’m in the minority on this, but I think it’s infinitely more rude to pretend you like someone more than you do and then end up disappointing him/her.

As far as making OCs public ... if smule gave the option to send invites to my followers only and not to the general public, without making them private ... I would absolutely do that. But it’s either make them public, or make them private. Which leads to people questioning why I made them private, and also makes them invisible to friends who come to my page looking for my invites. And I’m absolutely not individually messaging private invites to my followers because that is just asking for trouble. 

Wow, sorry for my rambling! This all just kind of touched a nerve with me tonight. But hopefully it will help to hear it from my perspective.

This is a forum site. Venting and rambling are to be expected. I'm sorry you had to go through any of that. I have met several women on here who have gone through situations where people are hitting on them. I have also met people who have had issues with people in their home towns because of other's interactions on smule.

I have never thought of smule as a dating site and I don't get why anyone would. That's just weird beyond my comprehension but people use it that way. I recently reported a spam account for sending me hookup links and had to tell another user I wasn't on smule to find a relationship.

I also would not expect a comment or like on every single recording or comment from anyone. Expecting occasional interactions is not the same as expecting an interaction everytime. Like I said, there are users I follow who send out a group thank you once or twice a month to at least one of their tracks to all joiners who joined random songs. Other users will occasionally like a thank you or compliment once in a while. 

I use smule to sing. Some use it to listen to music. Some use it to interact, and others use it for making money or more sinister purposes. I always thought of smule as a Karaoke app but I have seen people put it in the same category as Twitter and Facebook. So I guess everyone has their own opinion of what the site is for.

Run your account however you want. Interact with users however you feel comfortable. I'm not the best at socializing and prior to social media I didn't socialize with anyone really but the people during work hours. I may expect too much from people but that's on me.

Anyways, I apologize if anything from this thread offended you. Don't be. You're entitled to have you're own opinion, only a few people commented, so you could actually be in the majority of Smule users. Just run your account and do you, that's all you can do Alli. It's all any of us can do. Forget this post, it's irrelevant compared to everything going on in the world at the moment. Happy singing 

• love it! 1

yaunti
11 hours ago, Danny_McSmule said:

Many are too busy or pre-occupied. There’s a worldwide pandemic going on.

Exactly and that's not the only major thing going on at the moment, which makes my initial post meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

DuetWithAlli
4 hours ago, yaunti said:

This is a forum site. Venting and rambling are to be expected. I'm sorry you had to go through any of that. I have met several women on here who have gone through situations where people are hitting on them. I have also met people who have had issues with people in their home towns because of other's interactions on smule.

I have never thought of smule as a dating site and I don't get why anyone would. That's just weird beyond my comprehension but people use it that way. I recently reported a spam account for sending me hookup links and had to tell another user I wasn't on smule to find a relationship.

I also would not expect a comment or like on every single recording or comment from anyone. Expecting occasional interactions is not the same as expecting an interaction everytime. Like I said, there are users I follow who send out a group thank you once or twice a month to at least one of their tracks to all joiners who joined random songs. Other users will occasionally like a thank you or compliment once in a while. 

I use smule to sing. Some use it to listen to music. Some use it to interact, and others use it for making money or more sinister purposes. I always thought of smule as a Karaoke app but I have seen people put it in the same category as Twitter and Facebook. So I guess everyone has their own opinion of what the site is for.

Run your account however you want. Interact with users however you feel comfortable. I'm not the best at socializing and prior to social media I didn't socialize with anyone really but the people during work hours. I may expect too much from people but that's on me.

Anyways, I apologize if anything from this thread offended you. Don't be. You're entitled to have you're own opinion, only a few people commented, so you could actually be in the majority of Smule users. Just run your account and do you, that's all you can do Alli. It's all any of us can do. Forget this post, it's irrelevant compared to everything going on in the world at the moment. Happy singing 

Ok so I guess that brings me to the point of all that rambling. Whether it’s fair or not, I judge people based on past experiences. So try not to take it personally if someone’s reaction is not what you’d like. I know it’s hard because it happens to me too. But I love singing, so I try to push out the bad and keep the good. And also my apologies to you personally: one, for disappointing you, and two, because I know what I say often comes across as me being b***** when I am trying to be helpful. Keep singing away with the people who make you happy and forget the rest. Myself included hehe.

yaunti
16 minutes ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Ok so I guess that brings me to the point of all that rambling. Whether it’s fair or not, I judge people based on past experiences. So try not to take it personally if someone’s reaction is not what you’d like. I know it’s hard because it happens to me too. But I love singing, so I try to push out the bad and keep the good. And also my apologies to you personally: one, for disappointing you, and two, because I know what I say often comes across as me being b***** when I am trying to be helpful. Keep singing away with the people who make you happy and forget the rest. Myself included hehe.

No apologies needed. I didn't find you to be a bitch with anything you said. I joined smule knowing not everyone was going to wanna sing with me. My profile says I cannot carry a tune. I might not of liked that you weren't social but meh, you have your reasons as you explained. My only disappointment with you is not joining you anymore but it is what it is. You have a gift, continue to share it. Happy new years and best wish to what ever your future may bring you. 

yaunti
6 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Couldnt edit the last post.

I'm sure in someway I disappointed you also. We're human, it's part of the human condition. Again, best wishes.

DuetWithAlli
1 hour ago, yaunti said:

Couldnt edit the last post.

I'm sure in someway I disappointed you also. We're human, it's part of the human condition. Again, best wishes.

No hard feelings here. Thanks Yaunti. Hope the same for you too. 

• like 1

mootsters
On 1/17/2021 at 7:49 PM, RockMeSlowly said:

Some people take this too far though.  I can sympathize with the original poster on one level.  I acknowledge everyone who joins my OCs and while I don't expect everyone to do that, someone taking the time to put a really nice vocal on your work, should be acknowledged.

Why make a public OC otherwise?  You can tell when someone really put their heart into a join and it's wrong to ignore it.  

Honestly, almost everyone does acknowledge me and I'm grateful of that, but I can think of one person who never does and it's SO frustrating! We have some great duets that I want to use on social media and I can't even get a yes/no on permission. 🙄

We're all here to support each other. At least we should be 

I totally agree with this! I've only been VIP for a few weeks but have noticed a lot of singers don't respond, but a lot of them might have dozens of joins a day and be too busy to give everyone a listen. There are only so many minutes in a day to be fair. I think singing does make it a bit more personal...it takes a lot of courage for some people to sing publically so they feel hurt if noone acknowledges their work. I get it! I get both sides. I always listen to my joins and give them some feedback. But I have time to do that at the moment, that could change at any point. I gave you a follow, you're really good and sing a lot of songs I like so will hop on a join soon.

Clare 😀

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
On 1/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, mootsters said:

I totally agree with this! I've only been VIP for a few weeks but have noticed a lot of singers don't respond, but a lot of them might have dozens of joins a day and be too busy to give everyone a listen. There are only so many minutes in a day to be fair. I think singing does make it a bit more personal...it takes a lot of courage for some people to sing publically so they feel hurt if noone acknowledges their work. I get it! I get both sides. I always listen to my joins and give them some feedback. But I have time to do that at the moment, that could change at any point. I gave you a follow, you're really good and sing a lot of songs I like so will hop on a join soon.

Clare 😀

Hi Clare, I just saw this and obviously we already interacted.  

I can understand the other side too, but I think since the app allows people to sing alone and also restrict their OCs to just people they follow, an open OC should come with artistic accountability.

People can always miss a join, but if someone is really putting effort into your stuff and is respectful, it should feel good to acknowledge it.

• like 1

• 3 months later...
TheMajesticM

@yauntiYou seem really kind. I cannot believe someone would block you over joining them. Some bitch if they don’t get followers or joiners, and now we have  some bitching if they get them. Goodness gracious at the madness!  You can’t please some of these ... people. I’ve block users for justifiable reasons, and I don’t have to tell them why. They know what they’ve done.

I have created new accounts over another user, although it was useless at that time. You can’t stay hidden on this app but it may be different since Smule has increased security. To get to my point, from reading your comments, I doubt you are the reason anyone created another account. It sounds as if you need to become a little pickier with who you interact with on the app. You’re as good as anyone else on this app — remember that! And they’re decent people on the app. I sing with them now. 😊

Edited by HappyLilSinger
typo, baby, typo
  • like 1

DuetWithAlli

Wow, this has to come back up again ... I don’t know if he reads the replies anymore, but they still come to my email. It was awkward because he was talking about me. The fact is that it doesn’t matter what you do on Smule, nobody is ever happy with it. I switched accounts because I could not keep up with the time commitment that people expected from me, and it was making me unhappy. Joining people and listening to my joins are the things I enjoy about Smule. It took a lot of careful account management on my part to be able to listen to all the joins. I could have easily made a ton of invites when I had no intention of listening and sent the occasional comment or mass thank you, which is basically saying, “Yeah I didn’t actually listen to any of your joins, but thanks for making me popular.” I always thought I was trying to do it right, but I was wrong.

Do I regret gutting my old account and switching accounts now that Smule user ship has fallen off a cliff, and nobody is joining my songs, and I don’t receive enough invites? Sure.

And since I have switched accounts again to make my circle even smaller, hopefully Yaunti knows that he was not the reason. And hopefully this chapter is closed for me. I see a little slider at the bottom that says follow topic, and I’m switching it off now hehe.

• like 1