Join expired Smule collabs?

Go to solution Solved by DuetWithAlli,

Maria D

Thanks for the suggestion, but it would be problematic. All my devices have latest updates. 
I wrote to Smule. Don’t know if it will help.🤷🏻‍♀️

Glasnost77

Heard from one of my co-singers that her Android phone "auto updated the smule version" (as was reported by another user in another thread on this forum) and now does not allow joining expired OCs. On mine it still works. Not sure if they are rolling out this auto update country wise starting with the US or something similar.

Since it appears inevitable that someday all android phones will be unable to join expired OCs, would be good if someone can share a tried and tested method to roll back to previous version of Smule App on Android, if its even possible...

_Joe_Church_
10 hours ago, Maria D said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but it would be problematic. All my devices have latest updates. 
I wrote to Smule. Don’t know if it will help.🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes my friend. It’s good to know about the external software and all the options but it’s a big mess and could be problematic.

I wrote to Smule too, they are always  receptive. Really maybe they put the limitation only in this month, I don’t know. Really is a nonsense because if I’m sick during these specific week it would be impossible for me to join.

• like 1

_Joe_Church_
1 hour ago, Glasnost77 said:

Heard from one of my co-singers that her Android phone "auto updated the smule version" (as was reported by another user in another thread on this forum) and now does not allow joining expired OCs. On mine it still works. Not sure if they are rolling out this auto update country wise starting with the US or something similar.

Since it appears inevitable that someday all android phones will be unable to join expired OCs, would be good if someone can share a tried and tested method to roll back to previous version of Smule App on Android, if its even possible...

It’s possible Maybe you friend had activated the auto-update apps in android phone configuration but in android theorically have to be easier to roll back.

RobAnthony
On 6/22/2023 at 1:40 AM, DuetWithAlli said:

Hi! On a recent thread, someone suggested that if you can get your hands on an old device that is unable to download the latest version of the app, it may be possible that you will receive an older version of the app that still allows for joining of old OCs. But I don’t know with 100% certainty that it will work that way, and I imagine Smule will force this change on all users at some point. 

Hi Alli

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. That's really kind of you and much appreciated.

I will give it a whirl when I get a little time.

Thanks so much again. Hope I can find and sing with you soon :)

Best wishes

Rob

• like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Harkensong

I will definitely not be renewing specifically because they removed this feature 🤦‍♂️ honestly it seems like they only take away the stuff the community actually likes 

• like 1

_MusiCoolPiyush_

If something good exists on Smule (like joining expired invites or ability to save songs when singing on Group Live Jam or turning the back camera on in Group Live Jam) then the Smule developers will find a way to mess it up. Not everyone singing on Smule has loads of free time on their hands to join every invite within 7 days period but the flexibility of joining an expired invite after few weeks or even after few months was such a great feature - but then came the Smule developers who find any thing that is user friendly on Smule and then they find a way to break it.. so kudos to you developer team

I did however found a trick that I have used couple of times and this is where developer team should stop reading (I dont want them to read it and break this hack as well.. haha). I have 3 iOS devices (not bragging) where I have 2 refurbished iPads that I had specifically bought for singing on Smule. Both these iPads had the automatic app update set to "yes" so ofcourse I had the same problem as others that I could not join any expired invites after Smule's latest update. Since I use these iPads only for Smuling - I decided to reset one of them back to factory setting and then when the iPad restarted - it asked me if I wanted to use my backup saved in iCloud. I had one backup saved in Sep 2022 and I used that one to reset my iPad. Apparently, these iOS backups saved on iCloud also take a backup of the apps like Smule. Therefore, when my device was reset and the Sep 2022 backup was used then it installed the Sep 2022 version of Smule app wherein I can still join expired invites (so take that Smule developers). I have now set the "background app update" to No and the app is working all fine for me. I have joined 7-8 expired invites from months back and that hack works for me. I dont think Smule can ever break that hack because thankfully its dependent on iOS device and its backup in iCloud (thank you Apple developers).

I have started listing down what else I like on Smule as I can surely expect that to be broken in the next app updates of Smule. Please someone explain it to me - why do we have 4 Smule updates in each month. That tells me that there are so many bugs in their app that they just keep finding a new bug at a time and keep fixing it. Or is it due to no proper QC being done after every update to figure out what did Smule break which was working all fine while trying to fix something. That would explain so many updates each month.

Do you realise there has been no new big feature added in Smule app since they messed up the audio filter setting and launched "Styles". We still cannot change the pitch of the karaoke track when singing live or recording OC, we cannot change the tempo of the karaoke track when singing live or recording OC, what are those gifts for exactly - just a waste of money for those who are dumb enough to buy it. What if those gifts had a purpose in creating some kind of ranking for folks singing in live jam and where those who have received paid gifts can use it to get x% off in their next subscription charge. There should be a better Queue management system in Live Jam - if someone falls off the wait list when they are about to be picked up then the host or admin should be able to move the person up the wait list to be picked next. How about bringing back the saving feature in Live Jam - whats the point of singing to the best of your abilities if you cant even save that performance to listen to it, identify your mistakes and improve it the next time. How about Smule letting techies like me access our performances via API or JSON and get all the recordings, followers so we can create our own stats. There is no API and JSON only allows 25 records at one time. The bits I have mentioned above can give Smule an edge over other similar karaoke apps but looks like they are just busy selling gifts and they dont care about end user satisfaction

Edited by _MusiCoolPiyush_
  • like 2

Isa_Bella
4 hours ago, _MusiCoolPiyush_ said:

what are those gifts for exactly - just a waste of money for those who are dumb enough to buy it.  

I buy gift  for my followers who uses my uploads and joined my songs.  But I am not DUMB.. its my own money from my hard work and it's no one's business.. Each of us has its own  priorities and values and we should respect that. 

• like 1
  • love it! 1

_MusiCoolPiyush_
21 hours ago, Isa_Bella said:

I buy gift  for my followers who uses my uploads and joined my songs.  But I am not DUMB.. its my own money from my hard work and it's no one's business.. Each of us has its own  priorities and values and we should respect that. 

We are all living in an age where folks have a tendency to take things personally so glad to meet another one. You certainly have every right to spend your own money as you see fit but what you may not realise is that folks like yourself have created an additional stream of earning for Smule - which has led to Smule only focusing on improving their gifts buying/giving experience instead of focusing on improving their overall app. One might wonder that Smule would listen to folks such as yourself who generate an additional revenue stream for them when it comes to messing with the Smule app but folks like you are just like the rest of us. Smule removed the amazing feature of joining the expired invites which affects both of us - specially you who is amongst those who generate the extra income for Smule.

We still cannot save our performances in Sing Live and Smule removed the saving feature from Group Sing Live at the end of 2021 with no explanation. Smule is yet to bring in the feature of changing the tempo/pitch of a karaoke track when singing live or recording OC. Smule is yet to come up with a plan on how does this gift buying/giving/receiving benefit the end user - maybe create some kind of ranking based on how many paid gift one receives where every paid gift means x points depending on gifts value and the total of all these points can be used to create a ranking and those folks with highest ranking per week can appear as featured singer. Smule's search system is totally broken - if you try to search for "missuk" (one of my friends) in the app, she doesnt appear as the top result or the only result and sometimes she doesnt even appear in the list of results. Smule group sing live had the amazing feature of turning either front or back camera on but the back camera doesnt turn on anymore. As you can see, Smule isnt focusing on improving or enhancing their app - its still not a very finished app as so many features that used to work earlier and made the app what it is today have been removed and they are not even working on new features (some of which I have shared above). All their focus seems to be to get folks like yourself spend your money to buy and give the paid gifts and they are able to do this because Smule considers folks such as yourself "dumb" enough to do it without getting any additional benefit or overall improvement in app or user experience. Folks such as yourself who are spending your money to generate additional income for smule should have a say in how Smule should improve their app or the changes they do which breaks the things that used to work all fine - so I guess its time for you folks to realise your bargaining power and see what happens if all of you stop buying gifts for a month or two - will that make Smule listen to what its users want. Enjoy your day

Isa_Bella
22 hours ago, _MusiCoolPiyush_ said:

You certainly have every right to spend your own money as you see fit but what you may not realise is that folks like yourself have created an additional stream of earning for Smule - which has led to Smule only focusing on improving their gifts buying/giving experience instead of focusing on improving their overall app. One might wonder that Smule would listen to folks such as yourself who generate an additional revenue stream for them when it comes to messing with the Smule app but folks like you are just like the rest of us. Smule removed the amazing feature of joining the expired invites which affects both of us - specially you who is amongst those who generate the extra income for Smule.

As I said over and over again Whatever I do with my hard-earned money it's no one's business.  I don't owe anyone an explanation  why I'm buying paid gift to give to my joiners because -  It is a token of appreciation and not only paid gift, I also give a 5Days VIP gift to those who deserve it or a 1year VIP. I'm happy with Smule so I will help them generate more revenue to stay in business.  I noticed that a lot of Smule members aren't happy with Smule so why stay and use the Apps... If I'm not happy I will deactivate and close my account full stop, simple. 

• like 1
  • love it! 1