Join expired Smule collabs?

Go to solution Solved by DuetWithAlli,

hbullpup

Hi everyone.  Was wondering if there is a way that we can join an expired collab?   I think I read something about that on here that you can.  I was just wondering if someone can explain step by step how we can do this.  Thanks everyone   

• 2 weeks later...
opentype

It certainly used to work in the past. You could just set your devices clock back in time and then join OCs that were opened at that time. I haven’t tested if it still works. Last time I used it, it would allow audio-only joins.

• like 1

hbullpup
13 hours ago, opentype said:

It certainly used to work in the past. You could just set your devices clock back in time and then joins that were opened at that time. I haven’t tested if it still works. Last time I used it, it would allow audio-only joins.

Kool.  I will try that.  Thanks dude.  

• 5 months later...
  • Solution
DuetWithAlli

A friend taught me this today, and I wanted to share. The latest version of Smule allows you to join expired invites without time traveling. If you find the expired invite you would like to join and play it, the blue button under the video or globe/cover art says “Join” and you can join it just as you would a current invite. This only works if the invite ran the full 7 days, and not if it was closed early. 

• like 2
  • thank you! 1

_Joe_Church_

True and one of the best things Smule has done. It was not logical. Most of people don’t have time to join and you can see a lot of open calls with only one or two joins or even with no joins. I think it’s probably at the end the people was getting tired and cancelling the subscription.

When i started singing in Smule had more joins (and I sang very bad, haha). Nowadays I see a lot of persons open and open OCs but no join to others. At the end the people joins only the persons that have joined to them and it creates a vicious circle of lot of OC with only a few (or even zero) joins what makes the decision of Smule very good.

• like 3

opentype

I wonder if it is just a trial or even a bug. It might go away again in the next release. 

It renders the expiration system obsolete but that is actually still there. 

• like 1

_RamKrish1012

Just last night, I received a Notification that one of my invites has expired and received so many joins and to thank them all. (Personally I hate this generic Tank you all but I suppose it works for people with 100's of Joins as it is time Consuming to tank all joiners individually)

I suddenly noticed something Strange. The "JOIN" button was there on my expired invite and I clicked on it and I could join too...

Don't see the purpose or Logic behind this move unless it is a BUG caused by Bug Fixes that take place regularly except we never know what bug they fixed

Covid is so bad in India as we speak, that most Smule Partners are singing Prayers and the numbers of Invites has gone down tremendously

• sad 2

_Joe_Church_

In case it’s a bug It’s always possible set up the iOS system to don’t download app updates automatically. As long the old version works is ok.

The logical would be because sometimes it’s literally impossible to join before the week expires (if a person is retired and have a lot of free time is ok but if a person have to work, do chores and go out to walk, etc is not possible). You imagine a person that dress up beautifully, make a great video and sings extraordinarily a song… and at the end of the week nobody have joined. It’s a little sad. If you allow future joins you always give this person an opportunity to have at least one join. Anyway if you have already a lot of joins and you want to close the OC you can do it manually.

It’s something I always have requested to them, hope they have listened.

• like 1

DuetWithAlli

This is an interesting thought ... I wonder if it is a bug, or if Smule made this change intentionally because users are dropping VIP. I’ve noticed many of my followees have either dropped VIP or stopped making OCs, and I receive far fewer invites. I don’t like making OCs myself because the joins will be disappointing. So I like that you can join expired invites now, and hope Smule keeps this feature.

Edited by DuetWithAlli

_RamKrish1012

Would it not be simpler to say "All Invites will now be Open for Ten days instead of Seven". This way the entire Smule Community will get to know about this change overnight

Jan_9ers
On 11/30/2020 at 6:34 AM, hbullpup said:

Hi everyone.  Was wondering if there is a way that we can join an expired collab?   I think I read something about that on here that you can.  I was just wondering if someone can explain step by step how we can do this.  Thanks everyone   

yeah especially if you put the join song in your favorites then it works to join anytime, i think is a good idea so we don't have to do it all over again or find someone else to sing the same song again. Its too complicated

Jan_9ers
Just now, Jan_9ers said:

yeah especially if you put the join song in your favorites then it works to join anytime, i think is a good idea so we don't have to do it all over again or find someone else to sing the same song again. Its too complicated

what is really ridiculous is that smule blocking many song for licensing reason and that really very annoying and not very pleasant. They should work on that too

• 2 weeks later...
RockMeSlowly
On 5/30/2021 at 1:52 PM, DuetWithAlli said:

A friend taught me this today, and I wanted to share. The latest version of Smule allows you to join expired invites without time traveling. If you find the expired invite you would like to join and play it, the blue button under the video or globe/cover art says “Join” and you can join it just as you would a current invite. This only works if the invite ran the full 7 days, and not if it was closed early. 

WHY does Smule put zero effort into sharing improvements when they happen?  This is fantastic and I wish I knew about it before.

I can't wait to try it out!

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
On 6/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, _Joe_Church_ said:

In case it’s a bug It’s always possible set up the iOS system to don’t download app updates automatically. As long the old version works is ok.

The logical would be because sometimes it’s literally impossible to join before the week expires (if a person is retired and have a lot of free time is ok but if a person have to work, do chores and go out to walk, etc is not possible). You imagine a person that dress up beautifully, make a great video and sings extraordinarily a song… and at the end of the week nobody have joined. It’s a little sad. If you allow future joins you always give this person an opportunity to have at least one join. Anyway if you have already a lot of joins and you want to close the OC you can do it manually.

It’s something I always have requested to them, hope they have listened.

That's always so disheartening. I hate when I have a really great recording and I watch it die on the vine with one or two joins.  If the search system didn't only offer "most popular" and "expiring soon" more people would find them.

• like 3

_Joe_Church_

I said that if you want to close a open call you can do it manually but the only button that it’s active is to delete the open call. I don’t see any button to close it.

The most of the people that I know agree with this change but a person said me that prefer the OC expires because don’t want a person joins the songs of years ago and not the new.

Maybe other possibility would have been keep the 7 days (or even increase it to 10 or 15 days) for expiring and put a slide button to allow the person reopen an specific song.

DuetWithAlli
8 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

WHY does Smule put zero effort into sharing improvements when they happen?  This is fantastic and I wish I knew about it before.

I can't wait to try it out!

That is a really good question! It seems I usually learn about new features and how to use them from Sing Salon or singing friends on Smule. I sometimes delete and reinstall the app, and I did get a pop up upon signing in to inform me of this change. But otherwise, Smule is relying on word of mouth. For long time smule users, it may be worth the effort of adjusting to the ever-changing Smule experience. But for new and casual users, I think Smule could do a better job communicating how to use the app.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
  • like 1

RockMeSlowly
14 minutes ago, DuetWithAlli said:

That is a really good question! It seems I usually learn about new features and how to use them from Sing Salon or singing friends on Smule. I sometimes delete and reinstall the app, and I did get a pop up upon signing in to inform me of this change. But otherwise, Smule is relying on word of mouth. For long time smule users, it may be worth the effort of adjusting to the ever-changing Smule experience. But for new and casual users, I think Smule could do a better job communicating how to use the app.

It's downright nutty. They push all their silly preteen gimmicks on us and sit on their hands when they do something we'd love to know about.  It's like cooking someone dinner and then relying on them to discover it long after it's gone cold. 👨‍🍳😂

• haha 1

RockMeSlowly
19 hours ago, _Joe_Church_ said:

I said that if you want to close a open call you can do it manually but the only button that it’s active is to delete the open call. I don’t see any button to close it.

The most of the people that I know agree with this change but a person said me that prefer the OC expires because don’t want a person joins the songs of years ago and not the new.

Maybe other possibility would have been keep the 7 days (or even increase it to 10 or 15 days) for expiring and put a slide button to allow the person reopen an specific song.

Actually, if you click the link to edit the song...  way at the bottom is a button to close it.  

I get the sense that whomever designed the workflow of the app doesn't actually use it. 

TheMajesticM
On 6/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, _Joe_Church_ said:

Anyway if you have already a lot of joins and you want to close the OC you can do it manually.

Sorry to go off topic but one of your statements in your comment triggered a thought to me. Too many users complain they have soooo many joins and can’t possibly listen to all of them. You stated the simple solution: Close the OCs! The only other reason I can figure a user would keep them open knowing he or she cannot listen are the numbers — look at me! 🤩 I could be wrong, though… 😁

_RamKrish1012

In My Opinion Most Smule Members "LOOk UP TO" Members they Follow and don't bother about people who Follow them

Followers are mostly a floating population  (say 80%) and very few people care about who follows them. At least I never bother

Unfortunately people we follow may be oblivious to us and may not know us. I follow max 100 members and keep pruning it down. If each member I follow sends one invite a night. In a week there will be 700 invites. One has to be lucky to find time to record 5 duets a night. I might book mark 70 out of 700 and sing about 25 or 50 max a week.

I am glad Smule now has a feature that allows us to invite 25 members we follow at a time. We could not do that before. So invites only went to followers mostly. Today I am able to send my invites to all 100 I follow and am happy if one or two friends find the time to join

As for followers joining ones invites. It is a nightmare for all popular female singers. One Lady was consistently getting 250 to 300 joins for each and every invite of hers as she has about 9000 followers and she is a Professional Doctor and totally stressed out as a front line worker during Covid in the US. Her way to de-stress was to come home and sing away. On one Occassion there was a man abusing her for not commenting on his join. He said if you do not have the decency to comment then do not send invites. I stepped in  and told him to get lost or he will be banned. This is a huge problem in India with men trying to bully and demanding female members join their invites etc. Very Complex Issue with no easy solutions and even if we have solutions Smule cannot be bothered.

Say I have 500 followers. I don' t want to invite all the followers as many of then are worse than donkeys when it comes to singing. "I would like an option of handpicking my fav followers and invite just them."

"Better still is send invites only to my Followers whom I follow" I suggested it to Smule zen desk and received a comment that it is a great idea but nothing happened

Right now popular singers are doing a copy and paste of a thank you message for every joiner sending the same comments without listening, This defeats the whole purpose of singing on Smule.

And God I go to bed after midnight every night and when I wake up in the morning there are a few hundred notifications. I am not interested is some dude hitting a like button. I am not interested in a 100 Thank you for Joining generic Notifications for every song I joined. In this deluge of notifications most of us often miss very important joins upsetting family and friends who assume you are ignoring them. This happened to one of my nieces and she refuses to join any of my invites as she believes I purposely ignored her Join. She will not accept the fact that I am not looking at Smule notifications 24/7

• confused 1

TheMajesticM
5 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

He said if you do not have the decency to comment then do not send invites.

He was out of line with his comment—that I agree. He should have kept it to himself but, in his defense, I can see his point. We all have stress in life, and I use the app to reduce stress, as well, but I would not open up songs and not acknowledge users who take their time to join me. I would sing solos first but that’s me. 

No disrespect intended, but as I previously stated I have never understood users who open up more songs knowing they will not be able to listen to the joins they already have, reason I stated if I got a huge amount of joins (I don’t) I would close them at a point where I could listen. When I search for songs to sing, and I notice a user has a lot of joins, I check and see how they have reacted (or not) to them. If no acknowledgement, I search again for a user who does. It works for me. 

As for “members looking up to people they follow and don’t bother about people who follow them,” I hope I don’t encounter them. I don’t think I would enjoy those types — but to each his or her own. I know several users take the app seriously and that is okay but when an app causes someone to disregard followers I don’t think it’s nice, and I think it’s very ill mannered. Yep. 

This was just my humble opinion, for what it is worth. 

Peace ✌️ 

TheMajesticM
5 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

I don' t want to invite all the followers as many of then are worse than donkeys when it comes to singing.

And last question for you: What do you think you sound like? 

_RamKrish1012
4 hours ago, TheMajesticM said:

And last question for you: What do you think you sound like? 

Another Donkey perhaps. 😆

• haha 1