Static noise while recording in Smule

Riya

Hi,

Recently I'm noticing static noise while recording & while playing back I can hear that noise at the background.

I use iphone. I tried different things like changing earphones, uninstalled & re-installed the app, even restoring the phone to factory settings, still no use. Even tried it in a different iphone, still the same problem which confirms that it's not phone related noise, it's app related.

Anyone facing the similar issue? Any help please.

Riya

Here you go... You can hear the background static noise...

https://www.smule.com/c/1667512877_2864840960

opentype

Sounds like it is picking up the sound of your surrounding and even amplifying it. Which normally shouldn’t happen, since there is a noise gate active when you record in Smule. The noise of the surrounding usually must be really loud to be permanently recorded in Smule. 

Not really sure what to suggest though. Looks like you already tried out different hardware setups and I am also sure that Smule for iOS doesn’t have a general noise problem. 

Riya

I installed the smule app in my friend’s iphone yesterday which is a brand new phone she got this week. I tried to record a song, guess what, again the exact problem. In a different iphone, different earphone, different place, still same problem. So, definitely it’s not device related. Something with the app. Anyone iPhone users here to help me? 

opentype

You can contact Smule here and give them all the information about your hardware and also link the song your posted earlier. That would be the best option to get to the bottom of it. 
https://smule.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

I’m still puzzled. There are literally millions of Smule iOS users. If that were a common problem, ours and other Smule channels would be flooded with reports about it.  

I now even went ahead and tried the same song you used above. Absolutely no problems on iOS and I can’t think of a way to replicate static noise, especially in a way that wouldn’t be hardware specific. 

Riya

Thanks so much for looking into this issue. The problem seems like gone for now. This happened few weeks back & it lasted for 1 day & then cleared up. Again this happened last week & lasted for about 3-4 days & now gone. My only fear is will it happen again? I hope the tech team works on it to make sure for it not to happen again.

Now, back to happy singing 🎤 🎶 

_RamKrish1012

Riya, Could not listen to your recording with the noise as you have deleted it. If you are joining some one else invite then the noise could be from the original recording. I use an iPad as well as Samsung 7 and never had this problem. Check to make sure the volume is not too high when you are recording as this could be a cause. Do you have ceiling fans, or is the noise from the fan in your computer etc.Just thinking aloud

Ram

_RamKrish1012

Just a thought. Is your phone connected to the charger when you sing and record ? This can generate a static noise. I have my iPad permanently connected to the Power supply and does not have a static noise problem. However my Android Samsung 7 when connected to charger does generate a grrrrrrrrr noise not Hushhhhhh

• 8 months later...
jenny2

I have samson g pro mic there are times it was ok but most of the time when I record on smule it either stop then a static noice. so I have to re start again its a waste of time and annoying.  Please fix this problem.

Edited by jenny2

• 7 months later...
Ajit Mahadeshwar

Hi Riya,

Though I do not have solution to the problem, I do have a work around. When the count down reaches 3, say "helooo". In the beginning when song starts with music, mic tries to hear from you and while doing that it amplifies the emptiness. That sounds like static noice. 

Hope you would be able to sing without hassle. 

Regards 

Ajit

• 6 months later...
HelenJamess
On 3/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, Riya said:

Hi,

Recently I'm noticing static noise while recording & while playing back I can hear that noise at the background.

I use iphone. I tried different things like changing earphones, uninstalled & re-installed the app, even restoring the phone to factory settings, still no use. Even tried it in a different iphone, still the same problem which confirms that it's not phone related noise, it's app related.

Anyone facing the similar issue? Any help please.

Hi... I'm also noticing the same problem after the smule version got updated. Until December 2020 it was working perfectly. This month suddenly its all changed.  I have even changed my iphone thinking the problem is with the phone. Still the background noise is persistent and could hear after recording. Could someone help me solve this?  Thanks.

• 4 months later...
TashaLandry2

Same thing for me. I used to be on StarMaker at first. No problems in 2020 at all...but in March of 2021,  I started to hear static when I recorded songs. I thought it was my phone. I almost paid hundreds of dollars to get the soundboard where the mic jack plugs into my phone replaced... but then I tried to record myself on other apps and programs with no problems.  I tried to remove the app and dowloaded again, restarted my phone, bought quality headphones but nothing worked. Then a few days later it was all fine. Then it happened again more and more often. 

Last week, I downloaded Smule and the sound was great! I thought that maybe the problem was specific to Star Maker. But then since yesterday I pick up static on and off when I record. It 's fine for a song or 2, then horrible static for hours. Then one song starts off ok, but static starts up in middle of song, and sounds even cuts out completely in parts of the middle of the song. When the static appears, it even throws off the timing and even seems to skip small seconds throughout my song, so even with the bad quality, I can't even match up my voice to the appropriate beat. It is like my voice speeds up. Especially during duets.

Tonight, I tried singing from 7:00pm until just before 1:00am. This afternoon, I sang and it was great. But tonight... static all night. It is very frustrating.

What is going on? I only seem to have this problem with singing karaoke apps.

Anyone else still has issues?

Natasha

• 1 year later...
GBobby1200

Hi folks

Having this issue also. Using iPhone 13 Pro and new apple earbuds I got for this purpose. This is my first time using the headphones (new).

This is the recording: https://www.smule.com/c/879971739_4581820769

Perhaps because the song is so quiet in those points. I didn’t say the first 2 lines to test whether it was maybe already part of the recording if the original singers had been removed or something but this doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Any help appreciated. Not charging at the same time.

Thanks 🙏🏼 

opentype
4 minutes ago, GBobby1200 said:

This is the recording

Sounds normal. I wouldn’t worry about it. 
You might be able to minimize this effect by making sure there are absolutely no background sounds the microphone can pick up. 

Is it wired or wireless Apple headphones?