Removed Smule duets show up in Duets.Fm App

Go to solution Solved by Duets.fm,

Wishchip

I was on the Duets FM app the other day and noticed a few recordings that had been removed from Smule were still showing up in the Duets FM app. I'm talking Bon Jovi songs, KISS songs, Eurythmics songs...songs by artists that regularly get taken down from Smule due to copyright. It's amazing!

So does this mean that when a song is "removed" from Smule, it's not actually removed, but more "hidden" from users? It seems like the data is still there if Duets FM can access it.

• like 1

opentype

Maybe the app caches it? 

A song actively deleted on Smule should be removed and be inaccessible through the Smule app and website. 

A “private” song however is only hidden from being discovered. Anyone who has a link to the performance could open it. 

• like 1

• Solution
Duets.fm

@Wishchip When a song is deleted in Smule, Duets.fm would be able to play it, if the actual recording has not been deleted in Smule or if you had already downloaded the song to your device. 

So, you are right. In your case, it means that Smule hasn't yet deleted the actual recording. 

There is a longer answer to this question, on all the states that a song could be in and when you can play them. I can document that in a blog post sometime. 

@opentype Duets.fm can cache on the user's device for offline playing. It does that for songs that have already been played once (and based on a user setting). Good to know that private songs are still publicly accessible, with a link. 

• love it! 1

Wishchip

I haven't come across any songs that I know have been deleted by myself or by another singer on Smule. The specific ones I can still see on Duets FM are where (I assume) the songs have been "removed" by Smule due to copyright, some of which were originally uploaded by me.

12 minutes ago, Duets.fm said:

There is a longer answer to this question, on all the states that a song could be in and when you can play them. I can document that in a blog post sometime. 

That would be pretty interesting to read, I imagine!

• like 1