Pinned song finally fixed, and even improved!

realyquick

Those who've updated the app recently will encounter to their pleasant surprise a much-improved pin feature on Smule, with a bigger pic (like it was before they changed it) and 3 pins instead of just 1! A rare useful update 😃🙌

• like 4

Glasnost77

Will be interested to know how the bigger triple pin appears to users who still have the old version of the App..

Wishchip

I haven’t updated the app yet. I’m not seeing any triple pins yet, so either it doesn’t show for me or the people I’ve checked haven’t pinned three songs. 

• like 1

realyquick

On the older version of the app (which is installed on an older device I have which still lets me join expired invites), the pin shows up like it did about a year back before they made all the unnecessary changes.. nice and big, dominating the upper part of the screen. But the other 2 pins don't show up like they do with the latest update, which allows you to scroll the pins up top. Probably not worth updating for just this! Old is gold when it comes to smule app versions 😁

• like 3

• 2 weeks later...
DuetWithAlli

I’m still on the previous version, and it looks the same to me. Even if people have three songs pinned (I’m curious as to why Smule made this an option, seems kind of dumb to me … anyway 😂) I assume it will not show up this way until some time in the future when I update the app? Just a guess.

Wishchip
On 7/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, DuetWithAlli said:

I’m curious as to why Smule made this an option, seems kind of dumb to me

The only thing I can think of is that the more popular or influential users hated having to play favourites, and needed Smule to get them out of a jam:

"You *always* have a song with her pinned. What about me? You haven't pinned one of our songs since last August!"

"Dear Smule, please bail me out of this. How about three pins instead of one?"

• like 1
  • haha 1

DuetWithAlli
45 minutes ago, Wishchip said:

The only thing I can think of is that the more popular or influential users hated having to play favourites, and needed Smule to get them out of a jam:

"You *always* have a song with her pinned. What about me? You haven't pinned one of our songs since last August!"

"Dear Smule, please bail me out of this. How about three pins instead of one?"

Ahaha that’s so funny! But you’re probably right about it.

The reason I don’t like it is this: it’s already disappointing that I’m not good enough for anyone to pin my recordings. But if I’m not even the second or third best option, what the heck am I even doing here? I’d probably throw in the towel.

• sad 1

Wishchip
39 minutes ago, DuetWithAlli said:

it’s already disappointing that I’m not good enough for anyone to pin my recordings. But if I’m not even the second or third best option, what the heck am I even doing here? I’d probably throw in the towel.

It can indeed elicit a response of "Oh, so it's like that, is it? Alright, I'll just see myself out."

Aargo2017
On 7/24/2023 at 8:48 PM, DuetWithAlli said:

it’s already disappointing that I’m not good enough for anyone to pin my recordings

I understand that feeling. I too have gone through that phase. But then I realized over a period of time that we should not judge ourselves by what others do in Smule, especially when I saw bad singers getting dozens of joins and some really good singers barely recognized. 

• like 2
  • love it! 1

Wishchip
1 hour ago, Aargo2017 said:

I understand that feeling. I too have gone through that phase. But then I realized over a period of time that we should not judge ourselves by what others do in Smule, especially when I saw bad singers getting dozens of joins and some really good singers barely recognized.

Right there with ya. I have produced some solid gold shit and I never expect anyone to pin one of my recordings (it's cool if they do, though). Smule is by and large a popularity contest anyway.

Edited by Wishchip
  • like 2

DuetWithAlli
7 hours ago, Aargo2017 said:

Thanks for your input. Although I know that what you say is true, I still have some conflicting feelings about it. My opinion is that I’m semi-legit and not terrible, but seeing as it’s a karaoke app where I’m asking other people to sing with me, my opinion is irrelevant if people don’t like my collabs and don’t like singing with me. 

And also, thanks for bringing me back to this because I forgot to say that I would never ask people why they don’t pin my recordings, why do they pin someone else’s, etc. Just because I’m not having a good time, doesn’t mean I should ruin it for someone else. 

• like 2

DuetWithAlli
6 hours ago, Wishchip said:

Right there with ya. I have produced some solid gold shit and I never expect anyone to pin one of my recordings (it's cool if they do, though). Smule is by and large a popularity contest anyway.

It’s not really that I expect it. It’s more like, if I see someone always favorites songs by other singers, but rarely mine, never pins my recordings, etc. I have to wonder whether that person really likes me, or is just being nice. I hate having my time wasted. But as I say, I don’t ask (unless it’s someone I consider to be a close friend, then I might). If I feel people don’t like me, I quietly drop them.

Speaking of wasting time, sorry for my rambling hehe. It really does feel like being back in high school all over again though! Even my attitude about it, which sucks, I know.

Anyway, I’ve taken this way off topic. Maybe I’ll come back and share my thoughts on this new pinned recording feature when I am forced to update to a version where I can see what it looks like 😂

Edited by DuetWithAlli
Grammatical error

Wishchip
11 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

It’s not really that I expect it. It’s more like, if I see someone always favorites songs by other singers, but rarely mine, never pins my recordings, etc. I have to wonder whether that person really likes me, or is just being nice.

Believe me, I get it. And I've been there, thinking "hmm, they didn't pin my join but pin THAT person's join? Interesting choice..."

But totally, until we're forced to update the app, I can't really comment on what this new feature looks like either. THANK GOODNESS. Hahaha.

Also, pinned recordings don't show up on the desktop version, correct? So many inconsistencies, man.

• haha 1

Aargo2017
11 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

if I see someone always favorites songs by other singers, but rarely mine, never pins my recordings, etc. I have to wonder whether that person really likes me, or is just being nice.

I think generally it is a case of "Just being nice". If they really think that I am good I would get at least 5 - 10 % return joins which has never been the case as far as I am concerned. But if you look at the compliments I receive it would seem they think the world of my singing abilities. It's a fake transactional world out there. So nowadays I don't care whether someone joins my OC or not and I take all the nice compliments with several pinches of salt. I know that I am not an exceptional singer but not too bad either. So at times, I still wonder what is the USP that enables below-average singers to get more joins and pins. Strangely they get joins from really good singers too. Maybe they are real-life friends or there are some other reasons I don't know. There is no point in wasting my time thinking about all these things.
So if I like to sing a song with a good singer I just join. I don't expect anything in return.
If I want to give/get genuine feedback Smule is not the place. But it would be good to have an app where everyone is judged on their merits and genuine feedback is given and received in a positive spirit.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any such alternative app.
Smule's closest competitor Starmaker is much worse.

• like 2

DuetWithAlli

Everything you say is true, I’m afraid. Even down to the last word … Starmaker is terrible! No less than half of the accounts are fake bots or something. At least Smule has real people who are fake nice.

I think the key to getting a lot of joins is involvement in groups and support chats. Neither of which I am willing to do, because I want to sing with who I like to sing with, and not be forced to sing with others in the group. I tried both of those things for a day, and that was all I needed to know that it’s not for me. Also, I think it helps to have a lot of followers who join early and often, which I assume most people get by following and unfollowing random users and liking random recordings, which is something I also have no interest in doing. Or just having been on Smule for a long time, on the same account, and amassing a lot of followers when it was easier to do so.

So, maybe it’s best for me to stay in my little corner with my little group of friends and avoid Smule as much as possible.

Oh, one more thing. It probably sounds like I’m some creepy stalker, but I rarely look at the pages of anyone I sing with. It’s only a few people I doubt. Most people I sing with, I have been for years, so that would be a long time for people to pretend they like me. Although, I suppose it’s possible.

• like 2
  • haha 1

DuetWithAlli
6 hours ago, Wishchip said:

Believe me, I get it. And I've been there, thinking "hmm, they didn't pin my join but pin THAT person's join? Interesting choice..."

But totally, until we're forced to update the app, I can't really comment on what this new feature looks like either. THANK GOODNESS. Hahaha.

Also, pinned recordings don't show up on the desktop version, correct? So many inconsistencies, man.

Hmmm … I don’t know about that, as I don’t have a computer that is hooked up to the internet. Maybe someone else can confirm that. But I don’t see pinned recordings on the mobile website, so there are definitely some continuity errors going on with the pinned recordings.

Yay! Thanks for getting it. I do have to admit to being a hypocrite, because I have one friend who always pins my recordings, so I always pin hers when I have VIP. People probably think the same things about me as I do about them 😂

I have to admit, I’m so curious to see what the new pins look like, I almost updated. Almost. It sounds like it might actually be pretty cool … but it’s not worth losing the ability to join old collabs just to see it.

Wishchip
19 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

I think the key to getting a lot of joins is involvement in groups and support chats.

I think you're right about that. I joined a group but rarely engaged in the chat, so consequently most people in the group never joined me.

"Smule: Real People, Fake Nice" should be their official slogan. Brilliant.

• haha 1

Wishchip

I updated the app on my main phone (not my old phone that I Smule on) when I was gifted VIP the other day. Here's what a single pin looks like. 

pin.png

• like 1

Wishchip

Oh and here's what a triple-pin looks like. You can swipe the 3 recordings left to right, as opposed to them being stacked down the list. That looks nicer than I was expecting it to look. 

pin.jpg

• love it! 1

DuetWithAlli

Oh, that’s actually nice! I think I like the idea now. It would be nice for those times when you just can’t decide which recording to pin. Thank you so much for sharing, @Wishchip 🙏🙏 

• like 1

The Minty Clinch

While we're on the amazingly rare topic of praising smule rather than damning it/them, I do like the new Alchemist setting - 8 levels of EQ etc to fiddle with; it's almost TOO much choice. I feel like Phil Spector now. As in tech wizard, not actress-killer.

As for pinning, I only ever pin myself joining myself 😁

Edited by The Minty Clinch
  • like 1
  • haha 1

opentype
1 hour ago, The Minty Clinch said:

I do like the new Alchemist setting - 8 levels of EQ etc to fiddle with

Thanks for the tip. I would have never looked for new filters. 

• 3 weeks later...
Wishchip

Apparently Android users have been experiencing problems with the whole 3-pin thing reverting back to a single pin. Smule is going to be making a post about it soon.

It seems like Android users often get the shaft with Smule's features. It this the case? I'm on iPhone so I guess I'm only familiar with whatever shaft Smule is giving iOS users. Hahaha. 

DuetWithAlli
23 hours ago, Wishchip said:

Apparently Android users have been experiencing problems with the whole 3-pin thing reverting back to a single pin. Smule is going to be making a post about it soon.

It seems like Android users often get the shaft with Smule's features. It this the case? I'm on iPhone so I guess I'm only familiar with whatever shaft Smule is giving iOS users. Hahaha. 

Yes, this happened to one of my friends. Thank you for this info.

I’m also on iOS ... I’ve had iPad since it first came out, so I use wifi and an iPad to sing on Smule. But they say that since Android is every other phone/device that is not Apple, it’s hard to get things working right on all of them.

DuetWithAlli

Now that I’ve updated, and have the three pins, I have a question. What does it look like to people who haven’t updated? I worry that they only see the first pin, and still think I’m not pinning their recordings.

• like 1