Smule blog: Exciting Changes to the Way You Sing and Create in Smule

KeithJClark

Not True at all - On the android, at least my android, there is no distinction. I sang an original last night.

Instead of being able to choose filters and audio effects separately, they have them combined together into these horrible presets.

You can only choose their horrible preset combos as they are.

For example, you cannot choose "Petra" video filter and ANY OTHER audio effect other than what it combined it with - Super Studio.

Proof is in the pudding.

If they don't fix it I'll dump Smule, as the only reason I loved it was because I had control over those settings.

If anyone has a magic button that says otherwise, please, please inform me.

Keith

Screenshot_20201020-144532_Smule.jpg

Edited by KeithJClark

_Joe_Church_

I don’t like the new Smule. It’s ok if they want to introduce new video effects but I can’t understand why have to be linked to one audio filter. But, ok, at least allow to set this filter in the old way: super studio 10/20 for example. Not 0.4, 0.5...

The problem is that every person use a different microphone and sometimes you need to use a different filter to make the recording homogeneous. Ok I will change my mic to sound similar to the other person but it’s a mess. At least came beck to the old numbers in the filter settings. The new way is really annoying.

KeithJClark

Agreed. Sure, give people easy settings...and then give advanced users the advanced options. Its not really rocket science. 

Really though, Smule is not that advanced...its almost an insult to think that someone won't comprehend how to click a button and see how it changes on screen. In today's society?

I think the issue is...money. That's usually the issue anyway with these sort of things. Think they'll eventually sort it out. :)

Anna_M_Mathilda

We grew up with a catch-phrase: “When you’re on a good thing, stick to it.”

SMULE had a good thing, HAD. They should have stuck to it.

Bring back the previous version, PLEASE!

Waaf_Steph

Is fun to create templates for certain productions, but is not something you want to use over and over, plus all this effects are for those who always record videos, no point for only voice recording. 

For groupsongs is almost impossible now to adjust your volume or setting to blend with others ( remember some have stronger and lauder voice that need to be taken down). Backing voices effects? Forget it! No way to do it anymore. Give us back our old settings and leave the style studio only as an option to use when we want to add fancy effects. ( Same as we had before when we choose to add or not Petra, Rio, etc).

I’m not against adding some fun to our recordings but don’t make it mandatory, give us the option of using it or not. 

• like 1

The Minty Clinch

https://blog.smule.com/upcoming-changes-to-styles

Upcoming Changes

We recognize how important having full control of audio effects is to some members of our community. As a result, we will be adding an option for anyone, including joiners, to override the audio effects defined in a Style. For example, if a song opener creates a performance with a Style that uses “Polish” as the audio effect, you as the joiner, will be able to change “Polish” to a different audio effect, like “Grunge.” 

• like 1

KeithJClark

well, thats a great start! thanks Minty!

I did like the option of different color filters within each video preset, but I guess thats certainly secondary to being able to control the sound. It is after all....a vocal product! :)

Anna_M_Mathilda
On 10/21/2020 at 11:54 PM, KeithJClark said:

well, we should let smule know. this website is just a place where we're complaining about it  :)

Don’t worry - I have let them know. Whether they will do anything about it is another question.

Dean_UK

I don’t like the changes as someone with difficulties it was a lot easier how it use to be , you just picked the style stars,bubbles black and white etc now it’s really complicated 

The Minty Clinch

Has the Grunge setting been removed completely (I can't find it, anyway) and if so, is there anything like-for-like or similar?

• 2 weeks later...
RickMontreal
On 10/19/2020 at 7:21 AM, CL3AN said:

It is a novel idea. The new updates makes my singing sound "cheap" and I dont like it.

I should have the option to change the settings to how I want it. The previous system was perfect. All they had to add was the ability to adjust treble and base settings and perhaps layering of another vocal track on top of the one created. This would have made the app more professional from a recording point of view. The video effects is an improvement. 

The new app sounds dingy , what the heck happened ?!?!? Used to sound so good !!!

Bring the old version back, the new app makes everything sound like shi* !

Such a big deception...

• 4 weeks later...
The Minty Clinch

It's basically become a video site; new settings foisted onto our dashboards all the time, only offering reverb character amount and character as audio choices. All the interesting ones like stardust and double you are gone for good.

As for fixing it so that the joiner can choose their own style, well of course that hasn't happened despite their acknowledgement of their mistake.

• 4 weeks later...
thusithag67
On 10/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, Asbco said:

I kinda like the idea, because at least then the settings match. There have been cases where people join with pop fx, or other settings that makes the song sound weird.  

So what? It is the preference of the person who join the song. His voice may not go well with the style that was selected by the song originator. 

thusithag67
On 10/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, The Minty Clinch said:

Upcoming Changes

We recognize how important having full control of audio effects is to some members of our community. As a result, we will be adding an option for anyone, including joiners, to override the audio effects defined in a Style. For example, if a song opener creates a performance with a Style that uses “Polish” as the audio effect, you as the joiner, will be able to change “Polish” to a different audio effect, like “Grunge.” 

Has this been rolled out? I still do not see such change in my app. 

The Minty Clinch
13 minutes ago, thusithag67 said:

Has this been rolled out? I still do not see such change in my app. 

No, ofc not - do you really think smule do anything they say they will? lol

yaunti
On 10/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, The Minty Clinch said:

Upcoming Changes

The old way was nice because with joining another user, I could try to make my voice sound better. However the filter I would choose didn't always match the other user's style. So they might have been indy or grunge and I would be using super studio. The current way seems to have it so that we're using the same sound filters with room for little adjustments. If I am not happy with how I sound with the filter they set, If I cannot adjust  the  reverb character or the other feature, I just lower my recording volume. 

Dean_UK

If you don’t like the style that someone else has , you should be able to use your own i like super studio and don’t use grunge or anything like that , you could also open your own song that way you can choose the style 

• like 1

yaunti
4 minutes ago, Dean_UK said:

If you don’t like the style that someone else has , you should be able to use your own i like super studio and don’t use grunge or anything like that , you could also open your own song that way you can choose the style 

I think that's part of the problem for some users. They want to join others but don't want to be forced into audio or video filters. Users they follow are using audio filters people don't like when they join and they cannot go to the ones they are comfortable with. I do what I can with the filters they open. It allows for some growth. There some who hide behind specific audio sounds, from my experience not all the filters have the same audio filters. I'm not a fan of Autotune but if  I join one that has used super pop , if they've used it, I'll use it depending on how much. You're right, If people want full control of the filters they should open song.

thusithag67
2 hours ago, The Minty Clinch said:

No, ofc not - do you really think smule do anything they say they will? lol

😀

DuetWithAlli

At least on my end (and I don’t know if this is true on all platforms and for all Smule users) there is now an option to change the audio filter. Go into your settings in the Smule app. Scroll down to “Recording Experience” and toggle on “Show Audio Filter Overrides”. You will now have the option to change audio effects. I think you can change it before recording, and after as well.

The Minty Clinch
2 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

At least on my end (and I don’t know if this is true on all platforms and for all Smule users) there is now an option to change the audio filter. Go into your settings in the Smule app. Scroll down to “Recording Experience” and toggle on “Show Audio Filter Overrides”. You will now have the option to change audio effects. I think you can change it before recording, and after as well.

Thanks for that, you're quite right. Though how we're supposed to notice that I have no idea. I'll try to let my followers know...oh wait, there's no easy way to do that either 😂