Smule blog: Exciting Changes to the Way You Sing and Create in Smule

_SingSalon_

Smule has always been focused on creating the most innovative and exciting tools to connect the world through music. We’ve seen so many phenomenal solo, duet, and group performances over the years as you – our talented community – take Smule features and make them your own. Now, we’re excited to continue the evolution of self-expression by introducing the new way to create in Smule, using Styles!

View the full article on the Smule blog

The Minty Clinch

Is it me (and correct me if I'm wrong) or are we now forced to use to OC's settings when we join on IOS? I don't call that being able "to continue the evolution of self-expression", I call it X Factor-style homogenisation.

I kinda like the idea, because at least then the settings match. There have been cases where people join with pop fx, or other settings that makes the song sound weird.  

The Minty Clinch
9 minutes ago, Asbco said:

I kinda like the idea, because at least then the settings match. There have been cases where people join with pop fx, or other settings that makes the song sound weird.  

I often join with different settings, that suit my voice or the song better, and the people I join appreciate that.

3ai6chan3
3 hours ago, Asbco said:

[Sorry I kinda rambled on a bit]

Yeah, I get that sometimes that might be annoying, but being able to change the fx is usually a good thing - because some ppl, like The Minty Clinch, will want to use fxs that fit their own voice, (or, for example, perhaps their recording/system makes their voice sound different to begin with, so they use the fx to kinda fix it)

In my case, a lot of groups I've seen and joined, enjoy using various fxs to their advantage through group calls [which seems to be affected by the new update] - if they're unable to use a different fx for a specific part, then it...kinda changes the whole experience and limits their potential...

My smule hasn't updated yet (always seem to lack storage somehow˶꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ˶) so I don't actually know how it's doing (I'm assuming it hasn't been implemented yet??), but there's already complaints in the discord servers, and apparently a petition against it (I can find the link if someone wants join it)

[android btw, so I also don't know of many system differences - my mom changed phones, so I guess I can test it out on her older iphone if it still works..]

Oh, and a major part is definitely being unable to change the volume - some ppls mics might be too loud/too quiet; the previous settings are definitely not great, but completely depriving users of the ability to adjust it....will be a problem

The Minty Clinch
12 minutes ago, 3ai6chan3 said:

[Sorry I kinda rambled on a bit]

Yeah, I get that sometimes that might be annoying, but being able to change the fx is usually a good thing - because some ppl, like The Minty Clinch, will want to use fxs that fit their own voice, (or, for example, perhaps their recording/system makes their voice sound different to begin with, so they use the fx to kinda fix it)

In my case, a lot of groups I've seen and joined, enjoy using various fxs to their advantage through group calls [which seems to be affected by the new update] - if they're unable to use a different fx for a specific part, then it...kinda changes the whole experience and limits their potential...

My smule hasn't updated yet (always seem to lack storage somehow˶꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ˶) so I don't actually know how it's doing (I'm assuming it hasn't been implemented yet??), but there's already complaints in the discord servers, and apparently a petition against it (I can find the link if someone wants join it)

[android btw, so I also don't know of many system differences - my mom changed phones, so I guess I can test it out on her older iphone if it still works..]

Oh, and a major part is definitely being unable to change the volume - some ppls mics might be too loud/too quiet; the previous settings are definitely not great, but completely depriving users of the ability to adjust it....will be a problem

It's not rolled out on android yet, and may not do at all. You CAN still change volume, just not the actual setting (hype/studio etc)

The Minty Clinch

On the +side (perhaps) you now have super harm as a constant setting, so you can be Crosby Stills and Nash by yourself whenever you like 😄

• haha 1

3ai6chan3
21 minutes ago, The Minty Clinch said:

It's not rolled out on android yet, and may not do at all. You CAN still change volume, just not the actual setting (hype/studio etc)

Ah, I see, I feel like all my apps never really update properly so I kinda forget if it's just the system or me 😅

Some ppl said 'volume' so I guess I'll assume they mean the settings, but it still doesn't rly change the fact that ppl didn't/wouldn't like it.

Piper

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Change it back to the way it was!!!  I absolutely hate this new format!  You have robbed us of all of our creative control.  We have no power over the effects on our voices, are forced to use an apparently arbitrary predetermined sound and quality, and cannot edit our recordings.  I have played with every setting I can and still the recordings are not NEARLY what they were. 

You have taken SMULE, what was the premier app of its kind, and reduced it to the mediocre quality of every other app (who were previously not your competitors but now are)!

I am so disappointed at this new change of format that if you do not change it back I am forced to cancel my membership.  

I love SMULE and the SMULE community!  PLEASE change it back or, at least give us the option to uswe the previous version.

Thank you for your consideration!

• like 2
  • thank you! 1
  • sad 1

FEMANINJA marZstar

that's exactly what I just said basically… And everyone I've spoken to… Now instead of being creative in singing and actually enjoying life it's back to things feeling fucked up and broken and i've been maniacally trying to bring it back somehow ...I might be getting there a little bit Dr. FrankenNinja over here I suppose but… sigh… I don't want zombie smule… Is this a prank for Halloween or something? I hope they listen and actually take action …at least maybe go in and change that little setting a permissions that allows users to install previous versions of an app… 

So many bad decisions made… look and feel and function… And intention… a completely different thing now. . . and all of a sudden… Where she go? Rather forcefully to it seemed my shit I thought was all locked down not to update I think I got my iPhone 7 working… But hello that's just ridiculous

FEMANINJA marZstar
5 hours ago, The Minty Clinch said:

Sorry I kinda rambled on a bit

keep going brother… Instead of singing all even doing is rambling and trying to fucking hack the stupid shit or reverse engineer which might be accomplishable… I think I have it working on my iPhone 7 but… Smule is my sacred sacred life-saving phenomenon now… It's been murdered!

And I've actually been sticking up for the creators and smule for a bit … I mean it's definitely very impressive what they've created what exists what Hass to go on but… It's a whole different creature now… And super harmonies is fun to see you in a song sometimes and it's hard to resist using it but it's not very satisfying … It doesn't really sound good it's just fun to hear it but then once I save it I wouldn't say regret it but… It's pretty lame.

people say fuck you Smule because it would crash right at the end of some thing you know and of course that's happened to me but that happens and well… It's just all part of the mini faceted thing that this thing is… Or was…The layers of different kinds of challenges it would inspire and motivate whether it's playing that game of trying to mix different layers and affects and shit and having it sound how we want… Like trying to crack "the algorithm"… That appealed to me as like an instrument in itself… OK OK so things change and we have to adapt and learn and now there's new challenges to have to figure out how the fuck to get satisfaction and create what it is that we want with the way that it is now but… I don't think… No I don't feel it. well there's not so much to feel I suppose they took away all of the Fili little totally bits… They turn it into like a cheesy toy almost… And what does it make me a? A hypocrite?… Or a bit slightly stubborn and perhaps a teensy bit ignorant because I haven't even played with that new other app thingy and I haven't fully record A song with the new interface I just… Instantly was triggered to go on break what was broken or some thing I really hope that the sign off on letting us use the version before they I don't know killed our pet and then try to replace it with another one that's a totally different species blah blah blah OK saved by the man coming home ha ha 

I wish that was a Freudian slip perhaps it is thanks universe you're funny… Mom not man hi

FEMANINJA marZstar

I haven't lost all hope… Is there still many directions that it could go that could make it perhaps more awesome than it was but why do they have to take away stuff first… With like no morning… I'd like to have it interface better with external gear and instruments and stuff even as a professional sound engineer trying to hook up stuff to record is ridiculously complicated… However if perhaps since they took away the effects maybe in the future I can picture a little like it wouldn't be medieval may be midi but some sort of controller with totally knobs in lovers and stuff that we can play with affects more viscerally I think that's what that word means and I don't feel like proofreading this and editing The auto miss corrections that are there inevitably… I think you're the first "friend" I've ever seen on this blog place… Smule should hire me ha ha. Ninja skills…

MelodicoThiagu

Shell shocked to see the total messing up of Smule settings with the new update. Forced to pre determined settings of audio Fx.. Absolutely baffling. Pls revert back to previous. With all these unwarranted and awkward changes SMULE you are killing yourselves.. Have some sanity guys 

opentype

Two quick hints from the admin:

1. you are certainly free to criticise Smule on this website, but keep it civil, calm and factual. We might not publish posts with angry rants, insults, threats, unnecessary SCREAMING!!! and so on. 
  2. keep in mind that Sing.Salon is an independent community website for Smule users, which is not affiliated with Smule in any way. If you want to give feedback to Smule, you need to use their communication channels. 
  • like 1
  • clever! 1
  • thank you! 1

The Minty Clinch
8 hours ago, opentype said:

Two quick hints from the admin:

1. you are certainly free to criticise Smule on this website, but keep it civil, calm and factual. We might not publish posts with angry rants, insults, threats, unnecessary SCREAMING!!! and so on. 
  2. keep in mind that Sing.Salon is an independent community website for Smule users, which is not affiliated with Smule in any way. If you want to give feedback to Smule, you need to use their communication channels. 

Do you know if you can revert to a previous version of the app on ios? I used to do it on android using apk mirror, with mixed results. Sorry for boring techie question.

I played around with all the settings,,as in all the buttons.  The old smule settings are there.  And some new ones.  

My suggestion is click on every setting and adjust every button you see to know the effects. 

The Minty Clinch
13 minutes ago, Asbco said:

I played around with all the settings,,as in all the buttons.  The old smule settings are there.  And some new ones.  

My suggestion is click on every setting and adjust every button you see to know the effects. 

I don't have a problem with the settings, as clunky as they are - it's only the idea of being made to sing in the OC's setting I object to. I'm sure the video stuff is better too, but I don't use that much :)

Umkhonto

It is a novel idea. The new updates makes my singing sound "cheap" and I dont like it.

I should have the option to change the settings to how I want it. The previous system was perfect. All they had to add was the ability to adjust treble and base settings and perhaps layering of another vocal track on top of the one created. This would have made the app more professional from a recording point of view. The video effects is an improvement. 

• like 1

The Minty Clinch
16 minutes ago, CL3AN said:

It is a novel idea. The new updates makes my singing sound "cheap" and I dont like it.

I should have the option to change the settings to how I want it. The previous system was perfect. All they had to add was the ability to adjust treble and base settings and perhaps layering of another vocal track on top of the one created. This would have made the app more professional from a recording point of view. The video effects is an improvement. 

I can understand why they want to tiktokify it to get more young people in. And it's not really for pro sounding tbh, but yeah I basically agree

• like 1

Guest scrapfree

It’s been completely over complicated now. There’s people who just want to sing and sound half decent, but everything is now so tied in with the video settings, it’s very awkward.

I do wonder what user experience testing they are actually doing in Smule for people to be telling them that the decisions they make are the right ones. I do that for a living, and don’t understand how these decisions are being made in Smule. I think they are intent on being something they are not.

Rakesh Kapoor
On 10/16/2020 at 12:53 PM, piper said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Change it back to the way it was!!!  I absolutely hate this new format!  You have robbed us of all of our creative control.  We have no power over the effects on our voices, are forced to use an apparently arbitrary predetermined sound and quality, and cannot edit our recordings.  I have played with every setting I can and still the recordings are not NEARLY what they were. 

You have taken SMULE, what was the premier app of its kind, and reduced it to the mediocre quality of every other app (who were previously not your competitors but now are)!

I am so disappointed at this new change of format that if you do not change it back I am forced to cancel my membership.  

I love SMULE and the SMULE community!  PLEASE change it back or, at least give us the option to uswe the previous version.

Thank you for your consideration!

I totally agree with you. Either they should give us the permission to change as we need or revert it. I do not like at all this new version although I Love singing on Smule and it is a part of my routine but this new version has made us handicapped. 

• like 1

KeithJClark

I just opened my Smule after about 3 months of not singing. Then I looked confused, then disbelief. 

You mean I can't choose my filters and audio effects separately like I used to do?

Ridiculous, and a waste of my time.

Android. Which means there's even less hope. S.m.h

Edited by KeithJClark

5 hours ago, KeithJClark said:

I just opened my Smule after about 3 months of not singing. Then I looked confused, then disbelief. 

You mean I can't choose my filters and audio effects separately like I used to?

You can if you open songs, not if you join others.