A Question on i Rig Pro I/O Recordings

_RamKrish1012

I am using this iRig Pro I/O with my Dynamic Mic AKG D5 Vocal all the time.

What I am finding is after I sing and record I always have to boost the volume up to atleast 3.0.

Any reason why my voice is much softer than the original singer who sent the invite ?

Open Type what am I doing wrong here. Both Gain and Head Phone Vol are set at about 8.0

Room size for Super Studio  is set at 70%

_RamKrish1012

Any gain setting above 8.5 on i Rig Pro, I end up with LED showing Red and the recording quality is not the best. My mic is hand held and I like to hold the mic close

What I hear on my head phone sounds equal volume to the other singer. There is not much leeway in iRig Pro to play with. Thanks you for your prompt response.

Cheers

_RamKrish1012

Been talking to a Consultant at DJ-City. I had asked him about using Shure 87A or the Rode NT2 along with i Rig Pro I/O

His Reply was that iRig Pro I/O was pretty basic interface and that I should be looking at Stienberg UR2 and consider Hand held Condenser mics such as Senheiser e 945 or Rode M2 with mogami xlr cable and that the Shure 87A is very flat and similar to the ASKG 5 Vocal.

Will have to go and test it out next week. Finally I found some one in the music industry who knows what he is talking about.

All excited

The other thing is I put my Roland Go Mixer Pro away as it did not work with my Samsung 7. For some reason I connected the Roland Go Mixer Pro with my iPad and works beautifully and it has much more control on mic signal as well as Head phone volume... Just thought I should let you know.

Cheers

opentype
14 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

His Reply was that iRig Pro I/O was pretty basic interface and that I should be looking at Stienberg UR2 …

Not sure on what arguments he based that on. Those devices are in the same range. 

One key thing to remember: we are talking Smule here! Not recording on home computers, in music studios or anything like that. It’s crucial to use interfaces compatible with our Smule use. If that consultant is no Smule user or doesn’t understand the special requirements of this use he might give bad advice. 

and consider Hand held Condenser mics such as Senheiser e 945 or Rode M2 with mogami xlr cable and that the Shure 87A is very flat and similar to the ASKG 5 Vocal. Will have to go and test it out next week.

Yeah, test it out and see what sound you like. There are endless options—in the end you need to like the sound. Frankly, I would only continue looking if there is something you strongly dislike about your current mic. 

By the way: I have the Røde M2 he suggested. You can read the review here:

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, opentype said:

Not sure on what arguments he based that on. Those devices are in the same range. 

Not surprised You wrote this; as I too wrote back and asked him if he had hands on experience with Smule. Very few are in OZ unfortunately for me. Having wasted 15 months battling with Samsung 7 and splitter cables ,I must say I am extremely pleased now that I have an iPad + Audio Technica ATH M50x Head Phones+ AKG D5 Vocal Dynamic Phone all connected to the iPad via iRig Pro I/O using its own power supply. The recording quality is now the best it has been but think the AKG D5 Vocal has its limitations being a dynamic phone and want to test a Hand held Condenser Phone like the Shure Beta 87A or better with an extended frequency range plus use the 48V Phantom Power. Only after I test will I know if it is going to make appreciable difference.

what I am after is not extra effects but to be able vary the Bass and Treble like using an equaliser, to fine tune my voice to sound better, as is done in studios by Professionals 

BTW I am a retired Acoustics Engineer but unfortunately not in Audio/Music but Building Acoustics and Industrial Noise Control and I love challenges and always on the look out for improving standards.

I still cannot understand how one Smule partner says he is using a BM 800 Condenser Microphone with his iPhone X with a 3.5mm Audio splitter jack for connecting it to head phone and mobile phone. He is not using a Mob ph interface but his recordings are crystal clear.

Mplspitbull

Hello. I use the iRigPre and find it works great. I just watched a video comparing the pre and pro and didn’t really agree with his assessment in saying the pre-had a little more hiss but it was when they were turned up full output. I’ve never used at full output and like you said it’s smule not capital records recording studio. Plus the pre is about 1/3 the price. 

_RamKrish1012
On 9/6/2019 at 3:28 AM, opentype said:

One key thing to remember: we are talking Smule here! Not recording on home computers, in music studios or anything like that. It’s crucial to use interfaces compatible with our Smule use. If that consultant is no Smule user or doesn’t understand the special requirements of this use he might give bad advice. 

Yeah, test it out and see what sound you like. There are endless options—in the end you need to like the sound. Frankly, I would only continue looking if there is something you strongly dislike about your current mic. 

By the way: I have the Røde M2 he suggested. You can read the review here:

Open Type I visited DJ City today and the manager told me the chap who advised me was wrong and that Stienberg UR2 was not an option for Mob phones. He dissuade me from buying more hardware suggesting the ASKG D5 Vocal was a good mike and that I should spend time and down load the free software that comes with iRig Pro I/O like the T Rax Deluxe, Amplitube and Simple Tank etc and see if I can make it work with Smule.

I registered my iRig Pro with I K Multimedia but am not able to down load the free software apps for the i Pad.

Can you comment on this Please if the free software can help improve the quality of vocal recordings on smule?

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, opentype said:

Those apps won’t affect the recording in Smule. 

Thanks so it is not worth spending the time to learn these software