Microphone Input Gain

LouisPowerslaves

I just got an Apple XR and am using the earbuds that came with it. In songs where I sing loud, I need to take out the right ear bud and hold the microphone a decent distance away from my face or i'll clip the recording badly. I see other loud singers with similar earbuds not go through this problem.

Is the only way to solve this is to get something like and iRig to control gain or is there any Apple phone settings that I can't find that control microphone gain?

Thanks!

Louis

_RamKrish1012

I am not sure if what I am going to say will help as Open Type is the expert and would have suggested it.

On IoS Devices before you hit the Start Button to Start singing You can adjust the Video Mode, the Super studio setting as well as Vocals Volume with a speaker iCon. It has a scale of 0 to 100 This is actually what you hear before you record. ( Assuming you use the SS Mode)

Try cutting this Vocal down to 50% and see if this helps. When I use 100% it distorts my Voice as it is too loud and I am trying hard to match what I hear. I am comfortable at 50% Not too loud not too low.

As for a Mob Phone interface like iRig Pre or iRig Pro you need this only if you are using an external microphone instead of the standard ear buds that are supplied with the phone

Do let me know how you go with this

Cheers

PS: What about the Volume Control on the Phone itself, Lower volume can help too

Edited by _RamKrish1012
Need to add one more line
  • like 1

LouisPowerslaves

@_RamKrish1012 I'm mostly concerned with the final product. When singing, I red line the meter quite easily if I don't put the earbud microphone a good 14-18 inches away from my face. I usually have the level I hear while recording set extremely low to off. I often find it a bit distracting. If I don't push the microphone that far from me on louder singing, the recording will be very distorted.

I do have plenty of my own microphones that I can utilize for recording with using another external device, I was just hoping there would be a work around that wouldn't require that. I've done duets with people who only have their earbud microphone about 6 inches away from their mouths and they sound crisp when they are belting.

Thank you for all your input!

Louis

_RamKrish1012

If You are redlining on you iPhone even at the lowest volume, you must be singing loud and the ear buds have their limitations. But have you tired to lower the vocal minitoring volume on Super studio seetings before recording is the question. if yes and you have set this at Zero too then I have no answers for you.

If you already won external microphones Dynamic and Condenser Microphones then I believe the best option now is a phone interface IK Medias i Rig Pro I/O with its own power supply. Good Luck & Cheers

• like 1

• 8 months later...
PHNX_Bower

I've been having a similar problem where it seems the input gain on the iPhone is way too high. I originally thought it was from playing around with GarageBand, since it's one of the 3rd party apps capable of changing your iPhone/iPad's input gain. I was pulling my hair out trying to regulate the sound to no avail. It was too the point that when I started a song using Apple buds, the room noise alone would redline the meter and I'd get ear piercing feedback without as much as speaking a word let alone singing. 

I believe I may have found a solution to the problem tho. If you go into Settings on your phone or tablet, then go to Sounds and Haptics, you'll see a slider for your ringer and alerts. Right under that is a button that says "Change with buttons". This allows you to change the ringer volume using the 2 buttons on the side of your phone. When this is switched off, those buttons control your phone volume. I found that if you set the phone volume 2 to 4 clicks from the highest level, then go back to the Sounds and Haptics page and turn on the Change with buttons switch, then go back to your home screen and set the ringer to the same level as you set the phone volume, it regulates the input gain. You then go back and torn that switch off again. So you basically use that button to match the two volumes. I believe these two settings must be the same or else it messes up the input gain of anything plugged into the lightning connector. It completely removed any hissing sounds I was hearing, and the audio quality of the Apple buds was greatly improved. 

I'm going to keep messing with it and experimenting, but as of now, I believe this is the solution to a long standing problem. I've had a lot of inconsistencies with the sound I was getting from my external mics as well and hopefully this will remedy that as well. Hope this helps anyone who may have been having the same issue....

Crazyjster

I use the volume buttons on my phone.  That usually helps...I'm almost completely deaf and use vibration frequently (also severely noise sensitive at certain pitches) but when I hear back I can if I too loud or not loud enough, echoing/etc  In live jams or OCs. It depends on what the person you are singing with is using, as well...and their settings, and type of mic, and big difference...if they are using Android or PC because the settings are completely different. 

Smule also just updated this but that could make it better or worse....

(I actually prefer Beats to an iRig due to the delay and noise issue caused by mics but I can't fit an earbud in my ear either lol)