Smule blog: Rate That Song!

_SingSalon_

Blog_RateThatSong-1.png

Hello fellow Smulers,

We want to promote the best, most entertaining, inspiring and fun performances in the App. We have an algorithm that does that automatically but we need to improve and validate its recommendations. We really need your help!

We built a tool that will allow you to ā€œRateā€ a performance and tell us what you think about it.

This is the Link to the Web Tool: https://www.smule.com/eval/welcome please be truthful when you test it or look at it because the rating is logged immediately. (Itā€™s LIVE)

No instructions needed: itā€™s extremely simple!

Few important things to know about the Rating System:
To access the Rating Tool user must log into Smule.com Recommendations will influence our calculations so itā€™s important that you give us your sincere opinion.

Prizes:
On a weekly basis weā€™ll pull the Top 3 Users that Rated most performances and weā€™ll grant them:
1st ā€“ 1000 Coins
2nd ā€“ 500 Coins
3rd ā€“ 250 Coins

Thank you for your help!
The Smule Team

View the full article on the Smule blog

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I actually began a new topic on this new feature. I missed this thread somehow. I really enjoy this feature, and if the hashtags are any indication, so do a lot of users. You see a little bit of everything when you rate, from the seriously talented to the seriously comical. šŸ˜†

• 1 month later...

I was rating songs, and I came across one of the most beautiful Country group birthday songs. The song was ā€œWhen You Say Nothing At All.ā€ I searched to find it, to no avail.Ā I recognized a few of the singers and checked their profiles, but they didnā€™t have the song on any of their favorites.Ā It was an epic group song. Too bad something that good is gone. There was one more group birthday song I found on the rating feature that was top notch, too. It was a mashup of Whitney Houston songs. Soooo good! I couldnā€™t locate it, either. If you want to find seriously talented singers and win prizes, check out this feature. I love it!Ā 

opentype
3 hours ago, PeacefulJoin said:

I was rating songs, and I came across one of the most beautiful Country group birthday songs. The song was ā€œWhen You Say Nothing At All.ā€ I searched to find it, to no avail.Ā I recognized a few of the singers and checked their profiles, but they didnā€™t have the song on any of their favorites.Ā 

Try using the search function in the app or on smule.comĀ using ā€œ[song title] [username]ā€. That should find the song. If it can be rated, it should also be public.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Another group song I discovered while rating songsĀ wasĀ ā€œPlay That Funky Music,ā€ and I cannot locate it or the singersĀ on the app. They were hard rockers, and they put their own style to it, and it wasĀ incredibleĀ 

I have won 1000 coins four weeks straight! Yay! šŸ˜ƒšŸ™ŒšŸ¼ I rate more than I sing. A couple of myĀ family membersĀ likeĀ to helpĀ rate (chime in)Ā at times, too. Fun feature!Ā 

Edited by Guest
typo

_Simpleman661_

New here. Hello.

This seems like a really cool feature. I love the idea of narrowing downĀ some great recommendedĀ performances and rewarding folks who have done a great job,Ā but I have such a hard time critiquing others.

Would hate to have others feel discouraged or dejected over an unfavorable rating... are these ratingsĀ visible to anyone?

On 10/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, _Simpleman661_ said:

Ā 

Would hate to have others feel discouraged or dejected over an unfavorable rating... are these ratingsĀ visible to anyone?

I donā€™t think it is visible to the singers you rate, but I am sure the ratings are obviously visible to the administrators/managers of the Smule feature. In case I am wrong, just be honest and polite. šŸ˜Š

I rate pretty often, at least once a day or Ā ever other day, but most of the performancesĀ I rate are older stuff. The stuff highlighted now I have neverĀ seen while rating. Iā€™ve noticedĀ there is a lot of missed talent on the app. Hopefully, this feature will help,Ā if everyone participates, soĀ the app doesnā€™t solely rely on the so-called algorithm.

Sure appreciate those coins I won! Love sending gifts to the kind users ā˜ŗļøšŸ’• ... and a few to myself. šŸ˜

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Guest
Spacing

Crazyjster

I like rating the songs but it made me think...how are OCs chosen to get rated (is it random or all OCs)? I guess now instead of just having fun Iā€™m more self conscious of being rated lol. Then I was wondering because I am a dork, is there a place where we could see the stats on how we have been rated? Just an idea.

I wonder the same about how the songs are chosen to be rated. Good question. Iā€™ve rated a lot of users Iā€™ve never seen, and Iā€™ve rated the familiar faces of Smule, but the ones I rate are older recordings.Ā 
Ā 

As for the stats,Ā users might like to see how they rate. Thatā€™s a good idea. And if they donā€™t want to see they could have the option not to check.
Ā 

I wouldnā€™t be a bit self conscious.Ā I know how I rate, so I would just laugh it off. šŸ˜‚Ā 

I do want to clarify something in a previous comment I posted. The new talent I have seen/heard by rating may have been highlighted on the app in the past, and I may have missed it. I never paid attention to the highlights very often, most of the time onlyĀ if someone circulated the recordings to me.Ā 
Ā 

I think itā€™s a fun feature, and you donā€™t have to have a degree in music to rate. The fans make the artists successful, and fans listen to whatĀ is pleasant to their ears. I am a fan of music, which makes me and everyone on Smule qualifiedĀ to rate!Ā 

Edited by Guest
A typo

@opentype

I haveĀ recently been experiencing a problem with the ā€œRate A Songā€ feature. I rate 20 songs at a timeĀ when I rate, and it only shows that I rate 5 songs when I am doneĀ with the last one (see attachments). I took a screenshot of song No.19. You will see the number. I marked it up in the upper right hand corner.Ā Is there a known glitch?
Ā 

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Ā 

EB05AA93-A46E-42B2-B03A-6D865C960B89.jpeg

67977E54-AB8C-4AD6-90B2-26C7C2219041.jpeg

opentype

Probably a bug. When I access the feature, I donā€™t see any songs at all, but I also get the ā€œCompleted 5ā€ message instantly.Ā