Where is Hardware help: mic, phone, ear phones?

Robert C Richmond

Is there somewhere that accumulates helpful information as to what hardware combinations work and which don't?  I've been using Smule Sing! for a year or so, but still have to spend way too much time figuring which devices do and don't work consistently.  Specific to the moment:  Are some of "you" using Samsung Galaxy S7 with a quality external mic and separate earphones?  Are you doing it through the Galaxy earphone jack, or through the USB/OTC arrangement?  I can't imagine I'm the only one having trouble, but I can not find needed help anywhere on the web.  If you have the answers or place to look for answers - your help is very appreciated.

opentype

There is no way to accumulate this type of information in a consistent and useful way, because things change all the time. With every new release, things might change and would have to be retested with hundreds of devices. No one can offer that. 

But you are at the right place. You can just ask here in the forums. I’m an iOS user myself, but I’m sure we have lots of Galaxy users as well. 

• like 1

_RamKrish1012
On 5/30/2019 at 7:35 AM, Robert C Richmond said:

Specific to the moment:  Are some of "you" using Samsung Galaxy S7 with a quality external mic and separate earphones?  Are you doing it through the Galaxy earphone jack, or through the USB/OTC arrangement?  I can't imagine I'm the only one having trouble, but I can not find needed help anywhere on the web.  If you have the answers or place to look for answers - your help is very appreciated.

Robert,

In Case you are not aware, this SING SALON is an independent FORUM not associated with SMULE in any way and is an excellent Forum to seek help for those who have been there and may have answers to our questions. I too struggled for a whole 12 months using my Samsung 7 for Smule, until I came across Sing Salon and Open Type and learnt a lot.

Samsung 7 with the standard earphones supplied with the phone work Ok . But there is a huge time lag caused by Samsung hardwares response time. I kept varying the lag time and in the end set it as -300 milliseconds permanently when I got to know it was not my fault but a hardware software processing time issue with all Android phones. This is understandable as Smule was developed ORIGINALLY or IOS and i Phones and the software is now being modified to suit Androids.

I bought myself a Dynamic AKG D5 Vocal Microphone and  an Audio Technica ATH M50x Head phones, plugged them both into a Splitter which plugged into the Samsung Head Phone Port. A few people told me the Recording was awesome. Stupid me used these gadgets for nearly six months until on of the Smule singers told me The sound is not coming for your Microphone but being recorded by the Built in Microphones of the Samsung . I did not want to believe this so I did the tap test. Tapped the MIC gently when singing and this was not picked in the recording but when I tapped the Mic harder the Built in Microphones picked up the Noise which got recorded.

This is when I learnt that in order to use external microphone and headphones with a Smart phone we need what is called an INTERFACE which plugs into the smart phone and allows you to plug the head phones and microphone into the Interface. On such Interface is TASCAM iXZ a Mic and Guitar Interface. I bought one and did not work well with my Samsung 7. I am told another interface called Saramonic's Smart Rig II XLR works Ok with Samsung 7 but I did not bother to test it.

Interfaces Tazcam iXZ and I rig Pre I am told are Analogue gadgets and do not work with latest Digital Mobile Phones.

I now have an I Pad so don't bother using my Samsung 7 for recording on Smule. I am still using the Basic iRig Pre that costs 50 bucks and is Ok but FLAT.

Suggest you Google "Mobile and Microphone Interfaces" and you will see unlimited options available to you.

I am currently researching various interfaces that will work well with my New 6th Gen 2018 iPad, Head Phone &  Condenser microphones like the I Rig Pro and the i Rig Pro Duo There are so many options and no way to test them unless you buy them. Becomes an expensive exercise making singing on Smule  another expensive Hobby.

Trust this helps ypu in some way.

Cheers

Ram

• like 1

Dark Glasses_John

Robert, I finally switched to iPhone rather than my galaxy phones 7, 8, and 9 because of this issue of always having to adjust the lag of my recording with OC’s. It just was too exhausting and frustrating to deal with. Sometimes-300 would work and sometimes-200 or 0. Just too much. So I feel your pain.

I never liked iPhone till they got bigger for my big thumbs and hands. Now I really have the time to enjoy the app without having to worry about lag settings because iPhone’s work so much better with the Smule app.

• like 1

• 5 weeks later...
ELVIS_USA

I can't agree that Apple works so much better with Smule I use an LG v30 and have no problem with lag it's the network that you use and the network speed that Network provides so having a Apple or Android phone makes no difference if you don't have the data speed to back it up.

• like 1

• 1 month later...
Robert C Richmond
On 6/1/2019 at 1:41 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

I'm way late in thanking you, as I am also way late in seeing your response.  Thank you for your response to my concerns, and I have often learned from your many comments in this forum.  Thanks again.

_RamKrish1012
1 hour ago, Robert C Richmond said:

I'm way late in thanking you, as I am also way late in seeing your response.  Thank you for your response to my concerns, and I have often learned from your many comments in this forum.  Thanks again.

Absolutely no problem Robert. Most of us are here seeking help and we learn so much and then whenever the need arises we try and reach out and assist other members in similar quandary..

Since my Last post to you, I have bought an i Rig Pro I/O with its own power supply and I have been very happy since with the outcome.

I am still using my AKG D5 Vocal Dynamic Microphone which has its limitations and checking out various Condenser Microphones like the Shure 87A and Rode NT1 and Rode NT 2A. I just have not had the time to visit the DJ store to rest the three before deciding on one.

Have fun singing Bro and keep us posted