Smule blog: Exclusive VIP Feature: ‘Remove Joins’ Offers Unmatched Performance Control!

_SingSalon_

With the addition of the ‘Remove Joins’ feature, you’ll have the freedom to hand- select specific layers or remove all or as many as you’d like with just a few clicks. We get it – sometimes you just need to make some adjustments amid a group performance, and that’s exactly what this feature allows you to do.

View the full article on the Smule blog

• love it! 1

DuetWithAlli

Wow. There will probably be a few control freaks who will like this feature, but I feel like it’ll piss off a whole lot of people. If there’s one thing that pisses me off on Smule, it’s having my work deleted by someone other than myself. Good thing it’s extremely rare that I join group songs.

• like 1

10 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Wow. There will probably be a few control freaks who will like this feature, but I feel like it’ll piss off a whole lot of people.

A lot of people claim to have been clamouring for something like this for awhile, but I literally have never heard these requests until this feature was announced. But then again, I don't tend to dabble in group songs (because who has the TIIIIIIME), so I'm likely just not paying attention to the people who were asking for this.

This is technically something Smule has been able to do for awhile. They're just giving users the ability to do it themselves, for better or worse. In fact, a number of the "features" they've rolled out in the last few months (removing joins, profile stats, searching in profile, etc) aren't "new" at all. It's just that Smule has finally let users do some things themselves.

• clever! 1

DuetWithAlli

Now, I have heard people say they’d like to be able to delete singers from their group songs because they didn’t adjust their volume and drowned everyone else out. But I thought the opener always had the ability to delete joiners. Maybe that had changed over time? Or maybe this new feature gives new finer levels of adjustment? Wow! Thanks, Smule!

• like 1

Yeah, I’m of two minds about this. There are a handful of times where I’ve wished I had the ability to remove joins and that’s been when people have made an effort with a group song and someone with no self awareness or sense comes and basically ruins it. They aren’t singing so much as screaming, making weird sound effects on something like say, Amazing Grace, or otherwise causing a problem.

But I can’t say I see it as something you would want to use other than in extreme cases. If you want a song that’s perfect or exactly as you imagine it, that’s why you can make it private and only invite certain people… then make it public after the fact.

I wish they would fine tune the sound options. As it stands, the way smule sounds in headphones and earbuds is not the way it sounds without them. I also can’t say I understand their whole “style studio” app either. I wish they’d just focus on actually making the app better. 

• like 1
  • clever! 1