If the original song upload is deleted, does it delete my join?

Duets.fm

When the original song uploader deletes the recording, do all the OCs and joins get deleted? Has anyone experienced this?

Duets.fm
2 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yes, I’ve seen that many times. 

How did you know that the uploader deleted the song and not Smule (for copyright violation)?

opentype

I’ve seen friends delete their accounts and all my OCs and joins with uploads from these friends were gone from my profile for good after that. I guess the community uploads need to be tied to a user. If the user is gone, so are all the performances based on the uploads. 

• like 1

SingingFool
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Duets.fm said:

How did you know that the uploader deleted the song and not Smule (for copyright violation)?

When the original uploader deletes the upload or if they delete their entire account, the song or songs completely vanish, no trace.  The difference USED TO BE that when the song was deleted for a copyright issue, you would get some kind of error box telling you that there was a licensing issue (I can’t remember the exact wording) when you tried to listen to the duet or your OC. But the duet itself (or OC) was still visible on your profile (and I think a box came up giving you the option to hide the recording. (I never chose to hide the recording because I at least wanted to know that I had sung it.) But just now tried to find those duets or OCs with copyright issues like Coldplay songs & they have vanished completely!!! I think Smule just deleted them in the latest update (or fairly recently). So I don’t really know the difference anymore. Also I got this error message when I tried to listen to a Crowded House duet from like 7 years ago and I got this message: “oops! The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLError-Domainerror-101)”  I don’t think Crowded House has copyright issues though? So I’m thinking the original poster deleted it? Anyway sorry I couldn’t really answer your question because I think Smule keeps changing their MO.

Edited by SingingFool
  • like 1

Duets.fm
8 hours ago, SingingFool said:

When the original uploader deletes the upload or if they delete their entire account, the song or songs completely vanish, no trace.  The difference USED TO BE that when the song was deleted for a copyright issue, you would get some kind of error box telling you that there was a licensing issue (I can’t remember the exact wording) when you tried to listen to the duet or your OC. But the duet itself (or OC) was still visible on your profile (and I think a box came up giving you the option to hide the recording. (I never chose to hide the recording because I at least wanted to know that I had sung it.) But just now tried to find those duets or OCs with copyright issues like Coldplay songs & they have vanished completely!!! I think Smule just deleted them in the latest update (or fairly recently). So I don’t really know the difference anymore. Also I got this error message when I tried to listen to a Crowded House duet from like 7 years ago and I got this message: “oops! The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLError-Domainerror-101)”  I don’t think Crowded House has copyright issues though? So I’m thinking the original poster deleted it? Anyway sorry I couldn’t really answer your question because I think Smule keeps changing their MO.

Thanks. Good to know. 

Wishchip

It's inconsistent. There are instances where if the upload is removed, all recordings are gone too. There are other instances where the recordings remain, even though the upload is removed.

On desktop, if you click the Song Information on this song https://www.smule.com/recording/whole-a-whole-new-world/373211161_2988801809, it will give you a "Something went wrong" notice, and if you refresh the page, you get this:

image.thumb.png.f354a9b50a51b78867486796567678d4.png

• like 1

_RAVI_0628

I will try to answer here as I am uploading songs on Smule since last 8 years and seen many ups and downs.

There r 3 types of situations.

First one, where the uploading person removed the tracks at his/her own choice. Then, the recordings completed prior to the act will remain and you can listen them. 

Situation 2, when Smule gets some copyright violation issue from the original owner. Then the recordings were left intact but no searchable and locked. If you can see that locked recording in your profile, you can listen it. 

Situation 3, which happened in Jan, 2021 when thousands of tracks were removed because of copyright complaint raised by some music company representative. Those recordings were disabled to play and the tracks were also removed.

It any case once track is out of Smule database, no more recording possible on reactivated invites also. 😊

• like 3
  • thank you! 1

SingingFool
7 hours ago, _RAVI_0628 said:

Situation 2, when Smule gets some copyright violation issue from the original owner. Then the recordings were left intact but no searchable and locked. If you can see that locked recording in your profile, you can listen it. 

Thank you for taking the time…that explains a LOT! I’m not quite clear on something though. For Sich 2 what do you mean by “original owner”? Is original owner the company (or individual) who created the actual karaoke(or instrumental) track? And what do you mean by “locked”? I’ve experienced Sich 1 & 3, but I’m not sure I know Sich 2. Thank you! Are you the creator of Duets.fm? 🙌🏽🤩

Duets.fm
Just now, SingingFool said:

Thank you for taking the time…that explains a LOT! I’m not quite clear on something though. For Sich 2 what do you mean by “original owner”? Is original owner the company (or individual) who created the actual karaoke(or instrumental) track? And what do you mean by “locked”? I’ve experienced Sich 1 & 3, but I’m not sure I know Sich 2. Thank you! Are you the creator of Duets.fm? 🙌🏽🤩

I can answer the last question. I am the creator of duets.fm 🙂  

• like 1

Masseygin
On 7/8/2024 at 1:20 PM, Duets.fm said:

When the original song uploader deletes the recording, do all the OCs and joins get deleted? Has anyone experienced this?

Yes they do get deleted. It happened to me

• like 1

_RAVI_0628

Owner means the copyright owner of that song, mostly the music company or the artist. Karaoke tracks are being created by removing the vocal part and building rhythm and beats on that. But the part of the original song used in prelude, interlude, etc. are also copyrighted material and it can legally be challenged. 

“Locked” means a recording visible only to the person created the collab. Other people can’t see that recording.  A sample pic I am attaching.  A lock 🔒 icon you will see on the right top.

IMG_6908.jpeg

• like 1

Duets.fm
9 hours ago, _RAVI_0628 said:

Owner means the copyright owner of that song, mostly the music company or the artist. Karaoke tracks are being created by removing the vocal part and building rhythm and beats on that. But the part of the original song used in prelude, interlude, etc. are also copyrighted material and it can legally be challenged. 

“Locked” means a recording visible only to the person created the collab. Other people can’t see that recording.  A sample pic I am attaching.  A lock 🔒 icon you will see on the right top.

IMG_6908.jpeg

I have seen one of my songs show up as "Deleted for copyright reasons". But from what @_RAVI_0628 says, Smule can also show the song with a locked icon, where the singer can play it but not others. 

Not sure whether these two behaviors reflect Smule changing its policies over time. 

• like 1

SingingFool
11 hours ago, _RAVI_0628 said:

IMG_6908.jpeg

TYSM for the clarification of what you meant by “original owner.” Your explanations are revelatory! 💡

Good to know about the “locked” recording 🔒. I have yet to come across that but I’ll be on lookout. I have another question 🙏🏽☺️ So only the person who created the OC can see that locked recording (locked for copyright)? What about the people who joined their OC

SingingFool
On 7/11/2024 at 8:14 AM, Duets.fm said:

I can answer the last question. I am the creator of duets.fm 🙂  

Thank you for creating duets.fm ! It’s a game changer! 🤩

• thank you! 1

_RAVI_0628
17 hours ago, SingingFool said:

TYSM for the clarification of what you meant by “original owner.” Your explanations are revelatory! 💡

Good to know about the “locked” recording 🔒. I have yet to come across that but I’ll be on lookout. I have another question 🙏🏽☺️ So only the person who created the OC can see that locked recording (locked for copyright)? What about the people who joined their OC

The singer who opened the collab and any joiner in case of duet and joiners in case of group song can see the recording. But no one else. 😊