Please help! When I upload a song to the Smule website the volume is too low when I play the song back why?

Dean_UK

Hi there good afternoon so I have been having problems sometimes but not all the time, the volume on the songs that I upload to www.smule.com the volume is not high enough.

Now I have the volume up really high during the editing of the song , but when it comes to play the song back to test the lyric timings are correct on the Smule app on my Ipod touch with the volume on MAX some songs are not loud enough , is there a way to fix that ?

Dean_UK

Normally the song is bought from Itunes then run through a vocal remover such as Ultimate VocalRemoverV5 they have various models so it depends on what the song is as to the best one to use.

Dean_UK
11 minutes ago, opentype said:

If you run the track through an audio editor, the easiest one-click solution would be the normalization function.  

You can use free audio editors like Audacity. 

Would it be better running the track the audio editor AFTER using a vocal removal program or before it ?

Dean_UK
27 minutes ago, opentype said:

After. The original song will already be normalized. 

Ok I will try that out, also do you know what causes the volume to be lower in the first place ? and sometimes it happens in the last 20 seconds or so of a song but why ?

Wishchip

I use Moises and the track is generally a bit quieter once it's fed through that program, as the default track setting is 75% of its normal volume. I tend to stick with that when uploading to Smule because I don't want the song to be TOO loud, but it's also rarely too quiet for my liking.

opentype
13 minutes ago, Dean_UK said:

also do you know what causes the volume to be lower in the first place ?

Loudness problems wouldn’t be a surprise after a vocal extraction. After all, you are cutting out a major element of the song and possibly the sounds of some instruments as well, as the vocal extraction is rarely perfect. There could be other issues as well, but that’s impossible to narrow down from just the text description of the issue.