Recording with the phone's in-built microphone

kvenusmule

I would like to use the Android phone's in-built microphone using the headset only to listen to the track's music.

3 years ago, when I recorded without headset, the final recorded output was good but now, the voice is drowned out by the track's music, in short, not mixing well.

Any suggestions?

Edited by kvenusmule

Glasnost77

What exactly is the question ? All my songs on smule have been recorded using my phone's in-built mic only, I use an earphone (without mic) for listening to the track while recording. The earphone plug has to be inserted in a particular way and then, the phone does not treat it like an external mic device but still outputs the audio via the earphone 😁

kvenusmule

Hey Glasnost77

So far I have been using headset with inline mic, which as per my understanding deactivates the smartphone's mic.

Are you saying I should use headphones without mic and just plug it in the audio jack of the smartphone & and it will automatically pick up my voice when I sing?

What is this particular way you have mentioned to insert the headphones plug into the audio jack and still have the smartphone"s mic pick up my voice?

Kindly let me know.

Glasnost77
2 hours ago, kvenusmule said:

Are you saying I should use headphones without mic and just plug it in the audio jack of the smartphone & and it will automatically pick up my voice when I sing?

Precisely ! To be clear, my earphones have a Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) type connector (as explained in that FAQ above) and not a TRRS type connector. When I insert this connector slowly into my Samsung phone, it sometimes treats it as a earphone+mic. With the result that no sound is recorded at all as it ended up using neither the in-built mic nor the imaginary external mic. But when I insert the plug in a brisk motion into the jack, it correctly treats it as a speaker-only device and uses the phone internal mic for recording. I dont know if this is a quirk with my phone or its across all phones.

Should also mention, when I started smuling last year I had tried recording using the Samsung supplied earphones+mic (which most singers use in smule) but I found the audio quality of the recording using in-built mic to be better (the treble sounds were more crisp and clear).

Glasnost77
50 minutes ago, opentype said:

We have an FAQ entry about this:

Interesting hack this, may I ask, if we are using earphones+mic with USB type-C connector, is there a way to disable the external mic somehow, using settings or Dev mode or whatever....?

kvenusmule

Hey Glasnost77

Thanks for your detailed response,very kind of you.

I will look for such earphones & try it out .

Actually, the voice fidelity is much better when I record using the phone's internal mic.

But one thing that intrigues me is 3 years ago when I started Smuling, I recorded without headset & the output was good but for many months now, when I record without headset, the music is jarring & louder than the voice when I playback the performance, so definitely something has changed in the app 

Meanwhile, "opentype" had pointed out an FAQ entry on this & I will try that as well.