Smule blog: New Feature Alert: News Center

Wishchip

This sounds horrible.

-The latest Smule news & important updates
-Special offers & promotions curated just for you
-Exciting competitions with lucrative prizes

So basically one more place Smule will shove promoted content in our faces? If this means promoted singers don't clutter up my Invites (and instead get knocked into News), then I am all for this. But if not, then this sounds like something NO ONE has been asking for.

Also, the News tab knocks the Gifts tab out and buries it elsewhere in the app.

• haha 1

The Minty Clinch

Here is the news: there is no news.

Moving on, does anyone know what the little red dot that sometimes appears next to the profile icon in the bottom right corner means?Ā 

• like 1

The Minty Clinch
2 hours ago, Wishchip said:

This sounds horrible.

-The latest Smule news & important updates
-Special offers & promotions curated just for you
-Exciting competitions with lucrative prizes

So basically one more place Smule will shove promoted content in our faces? If this means promoted singers don't clutter up my Invites (and instead get knocked into News), then I am all for this. But if not, then this sounds like something NO ONE has been asking for.

Out of interest, has anything that people DO ask for ever been adopted? This is a rhetorical question, by the way.Ā 
Ā 

Tech obviously not advanced enough to allow 4 tabs.

• haha 1

music8
4 hours ago, The Minty Clinch said:

Here is the news: there is no news.

Moving on, does anyone know what the little red dot that sometimes appears next to the profile icon in the bottom right corner means?Ā 

My guess is since the Gifts tab is taken up by the News tab, the profile icon gets activated to red whenever you receive a gift. Basically, it's a notification for new gifts.

• like 2

Wishchip
3 hours ago, music8 said:

My guess is since the Gifts tab is taken up by the News tab, the profile icon gets activated to red whenever you receive a gift. Basically, it's a notification for new gifts.

Yep, exactly that.

I wonder if Smule thinks not enough people are checking out the blog, and so by forcing a News tab on us, itā€™ll generate more traffic to the blog and website. Because Iā€™m sure the bulk of the News tab will simply be ā€œNew update!ā€ with a link to whatever article theyā€™re promoting that week.

• like 1

opentype
11 hours ago, Wishchip said:

I donā€™t mind demoting the stickers. We have likes, favs and comments, where people can already add emoji like šŸ‘, ā¤ļø, šŸ’Æ and so on. But in addition, there is yet another way to send ā€œstarsā€, ā€œheartsā€, a ā€œthumbs upā€ and so on, which the receiver had to check out on a different tab. I just donā€™t see the benefit. Itā€™s just more stuff I need to click on to get rid of the notification of new activity.Ā 

• like 1

Wishchip

You guys will have to tell me what sort of fantastic news is reported on in the News tab. I haven't updated my app in awhile but it sure sounds like I'm not missing much.

Edited by Wishchip

• 1 month later...
Wishchip

As hilarious as it was to see the News tab declare "No news from Smule yet - Stay tuned for more" for the longest time (though I guess there was that one news item about Hispanic Heritage Month), unfortunately it looks like - just as I feared - the News tab is simply one more place where Smule can promote the hell out of their featured singers.

So not only was this singer featured as an advertisement on app startup (the one that automatically pops when you open Smule), but she is also featured on the banner ads that run along the top of the Songbook tab, and also pops up from time to time in the Invites tab. Does this singer really need FOUR different spots for promotion? Wow.Ā 

jamala.jpg

The Minty Clinch

And yet I bet everyone, like me,Ā  still thinks it's noughties Brummie songstress Jamelia . Oh and smule, when the fuckadoodledo am IĀ gonna be a featured artist?!?! I promise not to open Metal Machine Music again if I am.

• haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
DuetWithAlli
On 9/20/2023 at 2:14 AM, opentype said:

I donā€™t mind demoting the stickers. We have likes, favs and comments, where people can already add emoji like šŸ‘, ā¤ļø, šŸ’Æ and so on. But in addition, there is yet another way to send ā€œstarsā€, ā€œheartsā€, a ā€œthumbs upā€ and so on, which the receiver had to check out on a different tab. I just donā€™t see the benefit. Itā€™s just more stuff I need to click on to get rid of the notification of new activity.Ā 

So true! Now that the gift tab has been replaced by News, there is zero reason to send paid gifts. I still send the free ones just because ā€¦Ā why not? But if the recipient would have to jump through hoops to see them, Iā€™m not sending paid gifts anymore. Iā€™ve already complained to Smule about this, and as usual, they donā€™t care about lil ole me šŸ˜‚ thatā€™s fine, they can have less of my money.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
Left out a word

DuetWithAlli
On 11/7/2023 at 4:11 PM, The Minty Clinch said:

And yet I bet everyone, like me,Ā  still thinks it's noughties Brummie songstress Jamelia . Oh and smule, when the fuckadoodledo am IĀ gonna be a featured artist?!?! I promise not to open Metal Machine Music again if I am.

If you think thatā€™s bad, I keep reading it as ā€œKamalaā€ as in, the Vice President of the US. If they can get Kamala Harris, Iā€™ll totally sing with her! But otherwise, Iā€™m not interested.