Huge noise when recording from Android Samsung S21 w/ iRig preHD

agoudrias

Hello everyone,

Seeing the cordiality and assertiveness of the problems and solutions exchanged on this forum, I decided to try my luck with you guys ;)

I have bought an iRig pre HD with a mic At2020 and a headset to connect originally from a Huawei P30, exclusively to be used for Smule.

Result: I have a huge noise effect on my voice recording which makes it almost impossible to hear my voice.

I read posts referring to similar issues found on Huawei devices. 

--> is there a solution to solve this ?

2nd question: 

I used the exact same equipment and setup but this time connecting from a Samsung s10e: result : everything works just fine, although I don't hear my voice on the monitoring (not a big deal).

Question: I tried the exact same setup on a 3rd phone: a Samsung s21, but the result is the same as the Huawei.

I would like at minimum to solve the problem on the S21 which should work as it is on the s10e, ideally also on the Huawei.

Any thoughts / help will be very welcome!

Thanks

Alexis.

opentype
1 hour ago, agoudrias said:

Result: I have a huge noise effect on my voice recording which makes it almost impossible to hear my voice.

It’s not really clear what that means. What kind of noise? Is it permanent or only when you sing? At any volume? 

You probably need to narrow down the problem. You could start by trying a different app that has monitoring, so you can set the up the iRig correctly (e.g. the gain).  

P.S. Too bad you you have 3 phones, but not one from Apple. They work much better with Smule and you also get perfect audio monitoring directly from the app. Even an older iPhone would suffice. 

agoudrias

Thanks for the reply,

- The noise is constant when I sing: when recording a duo through remote participation, and then playing it back, the vocals of the other person are ok, only mine are constantly with this parasite noise.

- ok, I ll try to share a record 

- ok, which app and how could I set up the irig ? Any tutorial available? 

opentype

Yeah, that’s the typical sound of audio overdrive. 

You can start by decreasing the gain on the iRig to see if that improves things. The LED lights on the iRig should also help to see if their is too much gain generated inside the iRig. But it could also be a problem between the adapter and the phone. 

agoudrias

Even with a gain at 2 out of 10, I keep having the same issue. 

LED stable blue and turning green when mic is used, stable red on the 48v indicator.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Alexis.

opentype

Then it might be the phone. Hard to say from a distance. I would probably test with other headsets/adapters to narrow it down: does it happen with all microphones (analog/digital)? Does it happen with every app? Does it happen with a different iRig product and so on. Of course you might not have all the hardware to do such tests. 

agoudrias

Thanks, I did 2 tests from the samsung s21:

- same setup (irig pre hd + at2020 + headphone) but using a different app --> the samsung voice recorder app --> indeed works perfectly well = no noise at all 

- using a simple usbc headset/mic directly plugged into the s21 usbc socket with smule --> no noise at all = works perfectly well

What do you think ?

agoudrias

Hi everyone, any additional ideas / inputs on how to solve this other than switching to an iPhone... ?

• 3 weeks later...
agoudrias

Hello everyone,

As this sounds like a lost cause, I ll probably fall back to the solution to buy a second hand iPhone.

Question: as i ll only use the iphone for smule, i d like to buy a relative cheap version (it won't be my main phone): which older iphone version would you advise to be 100% sure it will work (inc. monitoring) while being cheap? 

Would the XR work for sure?

Thanks,

Alexis.

opentype

Yes, that should work. At the moment, Smule requires a device with iOS 14 or higher, which goes back all the way back to the iPhone 6s.