Smule blog: News: Latest Enhancements to the Smule Experience

sdr
On 6/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, _SingSalon_ said:

Hey there, Smule community! Our team is dedicated to providing Smule users with a smooth experience across all platforms. That’s why we’re excited to announce the latest enhancements we’ve added to the Smule Experience!

View the full article on the Smule blog

Finally today, when I opened smule  it asked me to update. I decided not to update and closed the app.

Let me wait, buddies. 😔

• 2 weeks later...
sdr
On 6/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, _SingSalon_ said:

I looked over the app and couldn't help noting how horribly they have ruined the app experience. Apart from the rewind option during recording which some people would find useful everything shows lack of design. 

Take the profile page. It shows an Edit Profile in the center in bold letters as if that is the main thing a person would do after entering the app! 

The most important element on the page, the user's own cover picture, is unceremoniously cut in the middle showing only the top half. And that too gets totally covered by the scrolling list of recordings. The name, recordings, followers and following counts take a third of the total screen. 

Only the profile page has a list option. All the others display picture galleries only.

I don't know what improvement they did to the timestamp. Even now recordings are stamped with the expired times in months and years rather than recorded date and time.

Still there is no way to find out the position of a recording that one finds in a search in singers' profiles. If the timestamp says 2y one has to scroll through thousands of recordings in that year to find the searched recording in the profile. 

If you press pause during a recording a menu is shown as in the earlier version. The New Song option used to delete the recording without asking confirmation often losing your recording accidentally. Now that 'feature' is taken over by the Restart option. 

Overall it shows that the people who designed this new version have no idea how a singer feels. I seriously doubt any of them uses this app for the purpose it is meant to be.

• like 2

realyquick

I looked over the app and couldn't help noting how horribly they have ruined the app experience.

Absolutely, this new version of the app has made everything more difficult and they haven't done most of the things they said they would do to improve it.

Everything you do takes more clicks to get to. Much of the interface is clumsy and poorly designed. Take listening to your joins. You have to click exactly on the bit that shows the number of joins, otherwise you start playing your own invite. Once that's done, you get a bunch of big pics filling up your screen. You click on one to start playing it, and now the joins screen has disappeared and you're back on your main channel. Why not keep the damn joins view on the screen??

You want to check your bookmarked songs, it takes several clicks to get to that, and when you do it's messed up like the profile was before they added the list view (and even that profile list view is a bunch of big pics ,unlike the previous streamlined list with tiny thumbnails). I could keep going.

Yes I agree, none of these people coding or designing or testing the app uses the app. That's the only explanation for this ugly inefficient user interface. Bring back the old one, it was a million times better!

• like 2

realyquick

Finally, finally! A useful new feature was added to the latest version of smule: Playlists. The only playlist we had before was the Favorites list, limited to 500 songs. But now, you can create any number of playlists, name them, and add collabs to them. Of course after you've added the collabs, there's just big pics with the song name and no indication of who the singers are, etc.. the same problem that Favorites now has. But maybe they'll get to fixing that eventually.

Not what I would call an innovative feature, but definitely a useful one😄

• like 1

music8

Do you know how to create a new playlist and add songs to it? I couldn't figure it out yet. All I see is a default playlist with the favorites. 

Also, is there a way to make the playlists private?

• like 1

My2CentsWorth
58 minutes ago, realyquick said:

Finally, finally! A useful new feature was added to the latest version of smule: Playlists. The only playlist we had before was the Favorites list, limited to 500 songs. But now, you can create any number of playlists, name them, and add collabs to them. Of course after you've added the collabs, there's just big pics with the song name and no indication of who the singers are, etc.. the same problem that Favorites now has. But maybe they'll get to fixing that eventually.

Not what I would call an innovative feature, but definitely a useful one😄

Umm, I don't know about you,  but when I clicked on Playlist,  it shows my Favorites.  Favourites is now the default Playlist.

• like 1

realyquick

As always, Smule expects you to figure out how to use their new features intuitively😁

By default, only the Favorites playlist will exist. If you want to make more, this is how:

1. Play a collab you want to put in a new playlist
  2. Tap the 3 dots on the top right of the screen
  3. Tap on Add to Playlist
  4. You'll get the option to create and name a new playlist, into which this song will go
  5. Next time you tap the Playlist tab on the main menu, it'll show you the new playlist, as well as existing ones like Favorites
  6. When you tap on the new playlist, it'll give you the options "Make private" or "Delete Playlist"
  • like 3

sdr
42 minutes ago, realyquick said:

As always, Smule expects you to figure out how to use their new features intuitively😁

By default, only the Favorites playlist will exist. If you want to make more, this is how:

1. Play a collab you want to put in a new playlist
  2. Tap the 3 dots on the top right of the screen
  3. Tap on Add to Playlist
  4. You'll get the option to create and name a new playlist, into which this song will go
  5. Next time you tap the Playlist tab on the main menu, it'll show you the new playlist, as well as existing ones like Favorites
  6. When you tap on the new playlist, it'll give you the options "Make private" or "Delete Playlist"

On the android I have there is no Add to Playlist option. 😔

• like 1

realyquick

Sorry to hear that! This is Smule's normal mode of operation: get stuff working on iPhone first, then Android. At least you see the new "Playlist" tab, so they are likely working on it😀

sdr
19 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Thanks @realyquickfor the tips! 

@sdrI use an android and I have that feature.  You might need to update your smule app.

With today's update I also got it.👍

• like 1