Why the gifts are 'hidden' under a link?

sdr

Now that most of us have the old beautiful profile, I want to draw your attention to the total disregard smule pays to the gifts received by a singer, including paid gifts.

Till an year ago the gifts were prominently displayed under the recording when played. They would move one by one from left to right with the caption telling that so-and-so sent a gift. As the gifts are usually objects that you want to showcase with your recording this arrangement was perfect. But now they have relegated the gifts to another place under a Gifts link which nobody cares to peek under! At the same time smule is creating more and more graphics in the name of gifts and put exorbitant price tags on them. Has anybody felt that this is unjust? Now purchasing a gift only serves smule's cash collection but the sender is somehow deceived. Oftentimes the gifts are not noticed even by the receiveršŸ™„šŸ˜”

Edited by sdr
Quotes
  • like 2

realyquick

Those paid Ā gifts are the lamest ripoff's ever.. they charge quite a bit for those stickers, as if they weren't already overcharging us for the subscription! But yeah they could at least make them a bit more prominent, most people don't even notice that they've been given something other than a star or a thumbs up.

• like 1

sdr
1 hour ago, realyquick said:

Those paid Ā gifts are the lamest ripoff's ever

Total agreement. They should at least give us free gifts worth our subscription in value.Ā 

I have stopped sending paid gifts except the cheapest one. That too very rarely. The difficulty is that I tend to send some gift equal in value when I receive a paid one.Ā 

Ā 

sdr
1 hour ago, realyquick said:

as if they weren't already overcharging us for the subscription!

There is one gift costing 1 coin and then others costing upto 5000 coins! Greed has no limit šŸ˜ šŸ˜

• like 1

Isa_Bella
1 hour ago, sdr said:

Total agreement. They should at least give us free gifts worth our subscription in value.Ā 

I have stopped sending paid gifts except the cheapest one. That too very rarely. The difficulty is that I tend to send some gift equal in value when I receive a paid one.Ā 

Ā 

The cheapest Paid gift from my end is 5coins.Ā  It is my habit to give a paid gift to all my joiners worth 5coins it is my appreciation that they collab with me and at the same time to promote my uploaded songs.

• like 2

sdr
14 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

I hope nobody ever gave me a paid graphic and I didn't notice.

Exactly that's what I mentioned here. It is really embarrassing when you won't even be able to thank the sender šŸ¤”šŸ˜”

• 2 weeks later...
TheMajesticM

I love giving gifts! Iā€™m truly a ā€œcheerful giver.ā€ I am well aware I could use my money for other causes and I do but I think giving a user a gift on the app might give someone a lift for the day. To those who donā€™t want to gift thatā€™s fine too. It should be genuine and from the heart. ā¤ļø

• thank you! 1

sdr
2 hours ago, TheMajesticM said:

I am well aware I could use my money for other causes

It was okay if the subscription were free. But you end up paying more money than your subscription fee for buying gifts. They could have made gifts a reward for the number of recordings you make or your popularity,Ā  even though popularity on smule is a botched up thing. Generally free apps employ these methods to generate their income,Ā  but in smule's case it is downright injustice and avarice coded in computer code!

It's a bother to look under Gifts every time you hear a recording. If you don't, you could miss gifts sent in may be sometime after the first listening.Ā 

Now their play view shows a globe with incorrect locations of participants sprinkled on it. What a waste of screen real estate!

Edited by sdr
Splg

My2CentsWorth

The free gifts of Stars and Thumbs Up is good enough, no?Ā 

Just my 2 cents worth - people got to stop obsessing over :

1) follower count (one doesn't turn into a superstar or get a singing contract if you have over 10k followers)Ā 

2)virtual gifts (can't be converted to cash. Again, more or less gifts don't mean you are a good or average singer)

• like 2

sdr
1 hour ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Not sending them will save the receiver looking under Gifts to see what you have sent.Ā 

Apart from these two,Ā  sometime ago they introduced a bluish clap graphic as a free gift. Then they discontinued it probably because everyone started sending thatšŸ¤”šŸ˜

follower count (one doesn't turn into a superstar or get a singing contract if you have over 10k followers)Ā 

But certainly your invites will be noticed by several more people if you have lots of followers. At leastĀ  initially it is thrilling to have 20 or 30 people joining you. More than that, in my opinion, it is a nuisance.Ā 

Ā 

Again, more or less gifts don't mean you are a good or average singer

Certainly. šŸ‘šŸ˜

• like 1

TheMajesticM
6 hours ago, sdr said:

It was okay if the subscription were free. But you end up paying more money than your subscription fee for buying gifts. They could have made gifts a reward for the number of recordings you make or your popularity,Ā  even though popularity on smule is a botched up thing. Generally free apps employ these methods to generate their income,Ā  but in smule's case it is downright injustice and avarice coded in computer code!

It's a bother to look under Gifts every time you hear a recording. If you don't, you could miss gifts sent in may be sometime after the first listening.Ā 

Now their play view shows a globe with incorrect locations of participants sprinkled on it. What a waste of screen real estate!

I understand the gift giving is not for everyone. Thatā€™s cool. Of course gift buying is a profitable feature for Smule. Remember the app provides the free gifts. The app also has contests periodically to win coins to buy gifts. I do not consider the feature an ā€œinjustice.ā€ It is optional. A user does not have to purchase.Ā 

As for the globe I rarely look at it. I can agree with that statement.Ā 
Ā 

TheMajesticM
2 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

1) follower count (one doesn't turn into a superstar or get a singing contract if you have over 10k followers)Ā 

2)virtual gifts (can't be converted to cash. Again, more or less gifts don't mean you are a good or average singer)

Agree with everything you posted (sorry I couldnā€™t react. I am out of reactions for today šŸ™ƒ)Ā 

Free gifts are good enough. Absolutely. I like to purchase the special ones at times. There are users who spend a lot of time creating many of those gifts. There are talented graphic designers on the app. I enjoy browsing the community catalog. I wish Smule would create a better way of displaying the gifts.Ā 
Ā 

I have given gifts to singers I feel sound exceptionally good to my ears but I feel the same as you ā€” the gift amount does not necessarily mean the user is a talented singer. No. I have noticed users who gift themselves. I have been guilty myself. At first it was accidental. I did not realize I could uncheck myself when sending a gift šŸ¤ŖšŸ˜‚ There are times I simply want a pretty gift I see. I guess that is the material girl in me šŸ˜†Ā 

The following list: I think I have made this comment a ton of times. It means almost nothing. With the spam and bots no one has an accurate count. I always say ā€œQuality over quantity.ā€ ClichĆ© but a fact.Ā 

Ā 

• like 2

sdr
1 hour ago, TheMajesticM said:

There are times I simply want a pretty gift I see. I guess that is the material girl in me šŸ˜†

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜Š

• haha 1

My2CentsWorth
4 hours ago, sdr said:

Not sending them will save the receiver looking under Gifts to see what you have sent

I know of a few popular smulers that don't gift at all.Ā 

• clever! 1

My2CentsWorth
4 hours ago, sdr said:

Ā 

But certainly your invites will be noticed by several more people if you have lots of followers. At leastĀ  initially it is thrilling to have 20 or 30 people joining you.Ā 

If no one notices,Ā  then join yourself.Ā  šŸ˜ Can't go wrong when you self duet.

• love it! 1
  • haha 1

sdr
12 minutes ago, My2CentsWorth said:

I know of a few popular smulers that don't gift at all.Ā 

I should learn from their examples.šŸ˜šŸ˜Š

• haha 1

sdr
11 minutes ago, My2CentsWorth said:

If no one notices,Ā  then join yourself.Ā  šŸ˜ Can't go wrong when you self duet.

Incorrigible, I sayšŸ¤ŖšŸ˜šŸ˜‚

• haha 1

sdr
2 hours ago, TheMajesticM said:

I wish Smule would create a better way of displaying the gifts.Ā 

It used to be better, a couple of years ago. With their tweakings here and there, they have lost the good things. Removing time display when a recording is played is the most flagrant error they committed. And then the gifts display.

• like 1

TheMajesticM
4 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

A lot of users join themselves ā€” same as a solo. I like to try to harmonize, something I am not that good at, with my 2nd join on a self duet.Ā 

• like 1

TheMajesticM
10 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

As I have already commented the amount of gifts doesnā€™t necessarily determine how good a user sings but if they havenā€™t gifted themselves a lot and they have several gifts, personality may be the reason. I have given a many gifts simply because a user is kind to me.Ā 

ā€œObsessingā€ is a great word. I have seen adults obsessing over followers. Practically begging for them on their profiles. It reminds me of my 12-year-old niece on her TikTok. You can expect it from a 12-year-old šŸ™„šŸ˜‚šŸ˜†

• like 1

My2CentsWorth
3 hours ago, TheMajesticM said:

Ā 

ā€œObsessingā€ is a great word. I have seen adults obsessing over followers. Practically begging for them on their profiles. It reminds me of my 12-year-old niece on her TikTok. You can expect it from a 12-year-old šŸ™„šŸ˜‚šŸ˜†

Unfortunately social media lives off followers. All aspire to be an 'influencer' and display self entitled behavior.Ā 

I understand the huge number of followers makes one think he/ she is very popular. But how is popularity on Smule going to affect your daily life? Does one walk out of the house to be greeted with flashes of camera lights and screaming fans?Ā 

Gonna ruffle some feathers,, but my 2 cents bet these are very immature adults.

• like 1

Isa_Bella
2 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Ā 

Gonna ruffle some feathers,, but my 2 cents bet these are very immature adults.

Immature Adults?? that's harsh... People have different opinions, choices, priorities... That's their choice to be popular and I think forgive me if I'm wrong "Its no one's business. They are the one's who spend their own money, time, effortĀ  and not from other people. I gave "Paid Gift" to all my Joiners as a token of appreciation that they joined me and at the same time they are promoting my song uploads and that's my CHOICE.. we call it "RESPONSIBLE ADULT" and not Immature Adults.Ā 

My2CentsWorth

My take on immature adults refer to those that crave for followers on any social media. Nothing to do with gifting.

• like 1

TheMajesticM
6 hours ago, Isa_Bella said:

People have different opinions, choices, priorities... That's their choice to be popular and I think forgive me if I'm wrong "Its no one's business. They are the one's who spend their own money, time, effortĀ  and not from other people.

Ā @Isa_Bellaweā€™re simply talking about users who are ā€œobsessedā€ with gaining followers to make them appear famous or popular on the app. Youā€™re right. It is their business but to me it sure would take all of the fun out of it for themselves and everyone else. Gifting is good! Send me one šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£

• like 1