The headache of maintaining the Ultimate 80s Group on Smule

MadameArtichoke

I created this group awhile ago but realized that groups on Smule are really not great. They got rid of the group info on the main page, so I had to change the graphic. "Non-80s songs deleted daily". But people still post non-80s songs and repeated offenders get removed from the group entirely. People will also post ALL of their songs that they have open, regardless of decade. 

The members aren't organized in alphabetical order like followers are. So I have to go on desktop Smule, load the entire list of 2000+ members, and then Ctrl+F to type their name in, find them and remove them. You can remove a song, but you have to do it individually. It can be very time consuming. I can't add an additional admin and group join requests go to my personal notifications. 

Because of Smule's #80schallenge, there is an uptick in people wanting to join the group. I enjoy maintaining the group, but I wish I could get some help. Even if Smule organized the list of members alphabetically, it would be so much easier. Better yet, add a "remove" feature to individual posts, that would be great too. A blog came out saying you can add an "admin" and "ban" people. I don't see this feature. 

There is also a character limit to the group info, which doesn't allow for clear rules. Attached is a screenshot of the desktop view. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.37.17 AM.png

RockMeSlowly

The entire system is badly planned from a social perspective. There isn't a ton of usability anywhere. 

As an example, when you delete a bookmark, it refreshes the page and goes back to the top.  It takes SO long to delete things.  It should stay where it is OR once you join a song, it should give you the option of deleting it 

It's similar to what you mentioned...  the basic functionality doesn't seem to be conceived by people actually using the app 

MadameArtichoke
6 minutes ago, RockMeSlowly said:

The entire system is badly planned from a social perspective. There isn't a ton of usability anywhere. 

As an example, when you delete a bookmark, it refreshes the page and goes back to the top.  It takes SO long to delete things.  It should stay where it is OR once you join a song, it should give you the option of deleting it 

It's similar to what you mentioned...  the basic functionality doesn't seem to be conceived by people actually using the app 

Yes, the same thing happens when you delete a post in the group, it jumps back to the top. It can be time consuming when you have someone posting 20+ songs that are against the rules.

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
33 minutes ago, MadameArtichoke said:

Yes, the same thing happens when you delete a post in the group, it jumps back to the top. It can be time consuming when you have someone posting 20+ songs that are against the rules.

That's so tedious!  Replying to joins is ridiculous too. You have to figure out the steps to opening the individual recordings and then it's a task to navigate between them.  Plus the character limit for seemingly no sense.

Even something as simple as the mass thank you using the term "joiners" lacks common sense. It defeats the purpose.

For the groups, there should be an option for bulk deleting.  Spamming stops people from joining groups, as well as nothing being shown in notifications.

I'm in your 80s group (I think) and I've gotten "invites" from freakin' Adam Lambert, Rick Springfield's 40 y/o music video, a cartoon character, Elvis and guy dressed like a plumber called Donovan Woods  but nothing from a group I joined.  

That says a lot about what they care about.

Edited by RockMeSlowly
  • like 1