Smule Features on Android Platform

thusithag67

At present the Android operating system has the the highest world market share (73% approx.) leading to a potential of having more Smule users compared to iOS. However, sadly Smule has the main focus on developing features for iOS users than supporting Android users. There are many important features that are currently available on iOS but not on Android. I guess Smule should put their efforts in closing these gaps on priority without making the platform as an excuse. Having said that I do understand that there could be limitations in Android which could be the reason for some, however I do not believe it is the case for all.

If I highlight couple of examples where in "Sing Live" the iOS users can cover-up the camera or display a dummy figure, etc. through the application. Android users are not given even a simple option to disable the camera if they do not want to show up their face. (They have to cover up the camera with finger tip or using a sticker - how pathetic!) I do not believe this is due to a technical limitation, but simply showing the negligence of developing features on Android platform. iPhone users can record their live sessions, can scroll through lyrics and make corrections on specific parts of songs while recording a solo or collaboration songs, etc, etc. This list can go on.

So Smule team, please, please do not forget that there is a large Android community who get frustrated almost on a daily basis when we interact with the community of iOS users due to these application gaps. Please look into features that could be implemented with less efforts with no technical limitations and go ahead with them immediately while you may park the items with technical limitations for future improvements.

• like 3

• 4 weeks later...
RockMeSlowly
On 11/26/2020 at 11:07 PM, thusithag67 said:

At present the Android operating system has the the highest world market share (73% approx.) leading to a potential of having more Smule users compared to iOS. However, sadly Smule has the main focus on developing features for iOS users than supporting Android users. There are many important features that are currently available on iOS but not on Android. I guess Smule should put their efforts in closing these gaps on priority without making the platform as an excuse. Having said that I do understand that there could be limitations in Android which could be the reason for some, however I do not believe it is the case for all.

If I highlight couple of examples where in "Sing Live" the iOS users can cover-up the camera or display a dummy figure, etc. through the application. Android users are not given even a simple option to disable the camera if they do not want to show up their face. (They have to cover up the camera with finger tip or using a sticker - how pathetic!) I do not believe this is due to a technical limitation, but simply showing the negligence of developing features on Android platform. iPhone users can record their live sessions, can scroll through lyrics and make corrections on specific parts of songs while recording a solo or collaboration songs, etc, etc. This list can go on.

So Smule team, please, please do not forget that there is a large Android community who get frustrated almost on a daily basis when we interact with the community of iOS users due to these application gaps. Please look into features that could be implemented with less efforts with no technical limitations and go ahead with them immediately while you may park the items with technical limitations for future improvements.

I want to bump this thread up because it's really annoying to have to be perfect on every take, compared to iOS users who get to manipulate their voice and performances.

It's so frustrating that they can't create basic functionality for Android or even give an ETA on when things will be fixed 

• like 4

• 2 weeks later...
PaulNuker

I had no idea iphone users could go back and re-record sections until recently! Wow that would be an awesome feature to have on Android! There have been a few times where I had a perfect recording until the very end where I mess up big time haha   I think Smule should cost less for Android if they won't offer the same functionality to be honest.

• like 5
  • love it! 1

sZHMX

I've been saying this for a very long time. I have sent them a number of emails and the replies are all the same 'incompatibility with android'. I know these aren't true because:

1. The rewind/skip feature was introduced in the android beta way back in 2017/018 but was removed after a week or so, maybe because it crashed the app if used too much. But it definitely worked and I really loved using it for group collabs-like when I have parts only at the end of the song ,etc. They could have built on that and improved it. It's been years and they haven't added them back.

2. Only iOS users can delete their layers from group collabs. But there is a workaround for android users( look it up on YouTube). It basically does the same thing as the iOS app: Delete the layers before the invite has expired. The only difference is that they don't care enough to add an option.

Till now android users cannot create groups or manage them from the app. It's been quite a while after they introduced them on iOS. It's clear that they are allocating all their resources and focus to their iOS app because features that no one asked for like Gifts, styles, could be added while ignoring their lagging android app. It's quite disappointing. 

• like 1
  • thank you! 1

thusithag67

Thanks for all your notes and feedback. One point is coming out very clearly from all these notes. Smule is not taking a genuine interest to develop features on Android platform which is very sad and frustrating. Hope someone from Smule will see all these feedback and will take necessary action to close the gaps on Android platform on priority.

RockMeSlowly
On 1/12/2021 at 11:50 AM, thusithag67 said:

Thanks for all your notes and feedback. One point is coming out very clearly from all these notes. Smule is not taking a genuine interest to develop features on Android platform which is very sad and frustrating. Hope someone from Smule will see all these feedback and will take necessary action to close the gaps on Android platform on priority.

I think they know and they don't care.  Some  basic features were added back into Android Beta, but it's buggy.

• like 1

yaunti

I was on sportscaster and they refused to create an android app. They said there are only a limited number of models of iPhones but hundreds of styles of Andriods and that they would have to come up with programming for all the android models. Basically saying android apps were too complicated for them. Idk how true that is but it could be possible that, that is why the iPhone programming is so much better.

I've been hoping for some of the features listed above for my android. It sucks that they cannot figure it out. I pay the monthly subscription because I wanted more control over my account and I've seen others who say they pay for the year. Hire a few more programmers and figure it out. Also, make a PC version of the app, so we can use our laptops instead of our phones.

• like 1

• 2 weeks later...
RockMeSlowly
On 1/18/2021 at 5:14 AM, yaunti said:

I was on sportscaster and they refused to create an android app. They said there are only a limited number of models of iPhones but hundreds of styles of Andriods and that they would have to come up with programming for all the android models. Basically saying android apps were too complicated for them. Idk how true that is but it could be possible that, that is why the iPhone programming is so much better.

I've been hoping for some of the features listed above for my android. It sucks that they cannot figure it out. I pay the monthly subscription because I wanted more control over my account and I've seen others who say they pay for the year. Hire a few more programmers and figure it out. Also, make a PC version of the app, so we can use our laptops instead of our phones.

I don't know enough about app coding to judge the complexity of it, but I do know that none of the apps on my phone can only be used on my phone.  Also, Starmaker is brilliant on Android.

Unlike a lot of apps, Smule's customers are also their content creators. Without us, there is no them.

Starmaker's total incompetence in how to market a product keeps singers away and the only reason Smule dominates it.

If Smule wants to collect money from Android users, but has no interest in prioritizing them,  the app is then vulnerable.

If starmaker had even half a clue, it would be the primary app for Karaoke. 

• like 1

thusithag67
3 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

I don't know enough about app coding to judge the complexity of it, but I do know that none of the apps on my phone can only be used on my phone.  Also, Starmaker is brilliant on Android.

Unlike a lot of apps, Smule's customers are also their content creators. Without us, there is no them.

Starmaker's total incompetence in how to market a product keeps singers away and the only reason Smule dominates it.

If Smule wants to collect money from Android users, but has no interest in prioritizing them,  the app is then vulnerable.

If starmaker had even half a clue, it would be the primary app for Karaoke. 

Exactly !

• 1 year later...
thusithag67

Very recently they have added this feature to Android. Android users can now try this. However not quite sure whether all users have received the update since I hear from some of my friends that they don't still see the change.

RockMeSlowly
9 hours ago, thusithag67 said:

Very recently they have added this feature to Android. Android users can now try this. However not quite sure whether all users have received the update since I hear from some of my friends that they don't still see the change.

Which feature?