What earphones do you use?

KD_FOUNDER_LVOS

Hello, I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are for best earphones? Anyone use earphones when in the car as a passenger that is good for noise cancellation? I've spent so much money on different earphones over the past 18 months 

KD_FOUNDER_LVOS

The ones I spent the most money on are: Apple earbuds, Skullcandy in ear buds,  Sennheiser HD25's, Betron Dc950, Sony MDR's and a bunch of cheap iphone clone earphones, 

Finding the cheap £2.99's work best in car but break after a week and sound distorted. 

Generally at home I use my condenser microphone in my home studio I'm building. But it would be great to know everyone's opinions on the different variations. 

• like 1

Mysoulsingsout

I used apple earbuds for about a year and my poor tiny ears couldn't handle the abuse anymore. Although they are good quality and produce great sound, their new shape does not work well for my ears. After prolonged use I developed sores and would have to just stop singing for a while to give my ears a rest.

I was gifted some Bose Soundsport earbuds last year and they are hands down the best quality for clear sound and comfort! They also do an excellent job of cancelling out any outside interference. They're about $100 brand new, which I thought was a fair price for the quality. Not to mention, they come with flexible, silicone ear pieces that are far more comfortable than apple's hard plastic design.

I also have an apogee mic 96k that I've yet to really experiment with because I lack the proper set up. It's specifically made for apple products. I tried it out once; the sound quality is crystal clear, however, there seemed to be a lag in sound reception-almost like feedback. I dont know if I had my reverb turned up a little too much at the time, but I didn't experiment enough with it to figure it out. It seems to be a good microphone for recording though and I look forward to exploring it a little more.

611yuugnlFL._SL1500_.jpg61JREgs56nL._SL1000_.jpg

• like 1

opentype
On 6/28/2017 at 2:57 PM, Mysoulsingsout said:

I was gifted some Bose Soundsport earbuds last year and they are hands down the best quality for clear sound and comfort!

Knowing Mysoulsingsout’s songs, I can second that the sound quality is excellent. Crystal clear and no noice whatsoever. The overall sound of the Apple EarPods is very good as well, but they are noisy during the attack and release phase. 

Bose also has (expensive) noice cancellation in-ears, so you won’t get distracted by the noise around you. I would assume the mic works equally well as it does with the Soundsport headphones, but that is just a guess. 

• like 1

VoxFugit

I just recently found some on Amazon that I like a lot for listening and very little external noise seems to get through.  They are made by Senzer and are listed as "Earbuds Headphones, Senzer High Resolution Earphones In-Ear Bass Earbuds with Microphone and Volume Control for iPhone Samsung". The mic is as good as, maybe somewhat better, than that in the Apple brand earbuds.  However, when I want real quality in a recording, I'm still reaching for my professional mic.  However these Senzer ear buds are GREAT for the price. A five star rating from just over 80 customer reviews.  On Amazon only $19.99.  Check them out.  

• 9 months later...
RamKrish1012

I am looking for recommendations for Head Phones and Mic that is compatible with Samsung 7 Phone. I prefer over the ear head phones. Ear buds block the ear canal and often affects the way you sing as your voice sounds different. That is why many Smule singers use one ear bud and the built in Mic and leave the other ear free

• 2 months later...
himanshusabot

#earphone_n_mic, #recording_quality

#ear_comfort

#longer_listening

I have been experimenting all these. Sometimes, I find the phone mics pick up even minute rustles anywhere. They r gr8, when used in a closed studio-like room with smule recording pre-setups, when only a seinheiser 180 in-the-ear earphone is used. It gives effects like a song being recorded in studio.

I M still into it n experimenting how to separate mic n audio signals from a single 3.5 mm Jack used presently by most of android smartphones. Would love to hear from you all in this regard. Thanks

H K SABOT

RamKrish1012

Himanshu, Ear phones are ok for hearing but definitely not the best for recording as they block the ear canal and are also too close to the ear drum and the volume used also affects the level of the voice for recording. I prefer the over the ears noise Cancelling earphones. You have Bose, Sennheiser,Berringer and Sony with top class units in a vast price range to choose from.

As for what ear phone is best to use as a car passenger I have to say nothing beats a Blue tooth Head Phone like the wireless Sony MDR-100ABN. The Sound is heavenly. This Blue Toooh is However not an option for recording songs as there is a time lag.

I am still trying to figure out the right interface for Androids like my Samsung 7 to replace the 3.5mm splitter. I have looked at Tazcam iXZ but seems more suitable for i Phones. Let me know what you think is the best interface for Androids. I am thinking a Mixer with more controls of recording quality. Cheers. Ram

himanshusabot

Thank you Sir for your interest. It's gr8 to discuss with out hardware set ups for song recording, listening n music.

Will post a detail later, presently travelling n outOFstation .

Thank you 

• 3 months later...
merlinorn

hi .. I would like to find headphones with a microphone that also have the return in the headphones of his voice, because now I'm using the earphones but if I hold them on both ears I can not hear my voice or feel low and distorted, if instead I only hold a headset I lose the left channel of the song. Does anyone know a product like this? Do you think it can work? or could it produce delays in the return of the voice? thank you!

opentype
7 hours ago, merlinorn said:

Does anyone know a product like this? 

There are audio interfaces which have direct mic monitoring, but that sill wouldn’t work, since then you would ONLY here your voice and not the background track you want as well. Mixing both needs to be done in the app itself. On Smule for iOS this works really well, on Android they are still experimenting with it. 

himanshusabot

I use a variety of earphones n headsets, each one having its consequences, good n bad. There is already in smule software where one can hear 0 to 100% voice-mic feedback; but I hv no idea how much of time lag in microsecond that is there to know that Ur voice is synched with recorded music or pre-recorded stuff.

Many times to know whether one is singing good or in sync can be known with one earphone in one ear with the other one doing the real voice monitoring/ listening, as many a singers do.

No idea, if different headsets w different mics n makes may hv different quality of recording n time lag etc.

I hv been still experimenting, different headset recordings n with d mics of different android phones, which are powerful, if one does them in standstill pindrop recordings late in night, when extraneous sounds are list or minimal in a closed room SuperStudio setting in SMULE.

GO ON DOING THIS WHAT SUITS YOU and evolve Ur recordings.

PS: TIME LAG important as also your. NET-SPEED for gd recording.

Regards.

Thank you 

• 6 months later...
chrisfcleary

I use the Apple ear buds and microphone combined, only recently I never used anything before that just whatever the ipad had, no one ever complained. But after starting to use the ear phones I realised what I was missing out on sound wise, I did know you could hear yourself (No Laughing I'm an Old timer). But there is no going back now.

• 1 month later...

I got notice we can now use Bluetooth headphones? What are the best ones to purchase? They do not work in Live Jam, correct? 

• 1 month later...
ELVIS_USA

If you want to call them earphones I use shure ht440 headphones that goes into my Yamaha mg82cx mixer

ELVIS_USA

Only time I use earphones is on the Fly and not in my studio then it's my Apple wired earbuds