Weird Noise in Solo Recording Only

DanishGoofy

Hi

I recently bought a VIP subscription and started recording Karaoke... Then i decided to sing without music so I searched for "sing without a track"... It works, but I am getting a weird buzz, squeaking noise while i sing... This sound noise doesn't come when i do karaokes or duets... Please help

Edited by DanishGoofy
One word missed

opentype

I would suggest to link a song where it happens so we can check it out. 

I wouldn’t know why this would relate to solos only. Maybe the noice is just more obvious without a background track. 

DanishGoofy

Well this noise is quite harsh, I don't think it would be overwhelmed by karaoke or any music... You'll get a better idea after listening

DanishGoofy

I have added a link to my recording/profile... It's submitted for approval

opentype

Yikes, that is bad indeed. 

I would suggest some hardware issue on your end. Either with your phone’s audio socket or the headset cable. Try resetting everything. Restart the phone. Unplug the cable and so on. If you have, try a different headset or even a different phone. Anything to narrow down the potential cause. 

DanishGoofy

I have tried two headphones, i have tried without headphones, i have tried resetting, i have tried relaunching app, 

Had this been a hardware issue, this would come on other audio recorders too but that's not the case... I have tried with Recforge and no such noise :/

opentype

Have you tried different audio filters in the app? Is the noise appearing directly after recording and before uploading or only after uploading?

DanishGoofy

It comes while recording, before uploading and even after... So it's throughout... 

The one thing I can check is installing smule in another mobile and checking there... Quite strange error

KeithJClark

It does kind of sound like an audio buffer glitch. Maybe also look into seeing if your phone has Dolby Atmos or AGC (automatic gain control). If either exist. Try turning them off. 

To narrow it down, if it were me I would also try using just wifi with cellular turned off, and also the opposite - wifi off with only cellular turned on. Rule out bandwidth issue.

After restarting the phone and ruling out the headphones/mic and internet you would usually likely be left with 2 things:

*phone hardware (not something you can likely fix)

*phone software (o.s. update, sound effects like Dolby or AGC, or Smule software issue with your particular phone model)

Logically if you're recording silence one would think that would be less bandwidth/data due to lack of music and less likely to glitch. I have issues with microphones and my android phone - when the microphone is too loud some type of Automatic gain control kicks in and silences background noise. It does it in a weird way.

Curious - Do you have an apple device?

Best of luck to you in troubleshooting it. 

Keith

DanishGoofy

Hi Keith

So now I have tried logging in my Smule in another cellphone and still that noise... Then I changed handsfree and tried on both

Then as you said I turned off cellular and tried...

So that concludes that neither the jack port is troubling, nor the handsfree nor the phone

Seems a Smule app bug for Android, as my friend on ioS is doing just fine... 

If you could help escalating this to Smule's technical team and help :(

DanishGoofy

If anyone else who is using on Smule on Android, and not facing this issue? And maybe I could downgrade to a stable version matching theirs

_RamKrish1012
1 hour ago, DanishGoofy said:

If anyone else who is using on Smule on Android, and not facing this issue? And maybe I could downgrade to a stable version matching theirs

I Have used Samsung 7 as well as iPad never experienced anything like this. I listened carefully your recording with and without vocals and the noise persists. sometimes one squeak and sometimes two and other times a few. I presume you are using standard supply of ear phone with built in microphone. My Guess is there could be a problem with your built in mic/cable itself and "the squeaks could be linked to movement of your hand and mic". To test this out can you record just ambient noise by placing the headset and built in mic on the table so there is no movement. You have to seal the ear buds or else the mic will pick up sound from the ear buds causing a feedback noise. Alternatively use someone elses ear phones and built in mic. Just a hunch. I could be wrong. Just thinking aloud. Cheers

_RamKrish1012

also could it be an external noise like a squeaky ceiling fan or the cooling fan in your PC or some other gadget like a printer. To eliminate this try recording in a totally different space which is lot quieter to see if problem persists

DanishGoofy

Hi Ram Krish

I kept the mic and earphones inside a wollen jacket and rolled it... Check the following link...

https://link.smule.com/eGy7P7eys8

I have also tried three different earphones with mic, two different phones... It's something in the app :/

Also How do you record a solo audio without any music on Smule, just vocals that is... Just to use studio filter later

I searched "sing without music" on smule, and use that to record a solo, can you check on that? Maybe that's where i am going wrong...

And if so, how else to record just vocals on smule to be able to use vip studio filter?

Thanks Alot

DanishGoofy

Guyz Thankyou for bearing with me and helping to your best of capabilities :)

I have found the error... In freestyle there is no issue all is good

I didn't know about that so i was using a recording under "Sing without music track" which was causing it 

Now i tried freestyle and it's perfect... 

• like 1

KeithJClark

Glad to hear it! So it was a sound embedded in that "sing without music" track?

The link opentype gave you above is the correct contact info for Smule. You can also send an email to [email protected] response time can vary from 2 days to 3 weeks, in my own experience.

K

DanishGoofy

I am not sure what's causing that...

Maybe Smule itself caused this to prevent people from using that track, and use their provided Freestyle :)

Yup got the contact, emailed them too, but now that the problem is solved... 

_RamKrish1012
9 hours ago, DanishGoofy said:

I am not sure what's causing that...

Maybe Smule itself caused this to prevent people from using that track, and use their provided Freestyle :)

Yup got the contact, emailed them too, but now that the problem is solved... 

Highly unlikely. who ever uploaded the Sing without Music had a faulty hardware.  

Glad you solved the Problem. Did not realise "Sing without Music" was itself an upload by some third party. I must confess I had not heard of "Sing without Music" on Smule before. Thanks to you we all know this now..

I have been wanting to play my harmonica sans music as I can never match the music uploads with my six different harmonicas. Will definitely use Freestyle to do this. Cheers.

• like 1