Why is VIP 720% more expensive on App Store compared to Google Play in Brazil?

lYuki_

I know that App Store takes a bigger bite but this price difference is just insane. 

R$25 vs R$205.

it's like U$5 vs $40.

s1.png

s2.png

WildTiger393

Yeah it will be due to the cut which the store takes. You can also buy VIP through the website smule.com and get a standard price. But they aren't allowed to advertise that through the app.

lYuki_
On 6/20/2020 at 9:23 AM, WildTiger393 said:

Yeah it will be due to the cut which the store takes. You can also buy VIP through the website smule.com and get a standard price. But they aren't allowed to advertise that through the app.

Content on App Store is always more expensive than Google Play, but >never< 720%, that's straight robbery and unjustifiable. 

About the Smule.com VIP, it's not available here in Brazil. There are posts in this same forum talking about it dating back to late 2018. Like this one:

So if you have iOS here, pay not 50%, not the double, pay 720% more just because of the device you own, or you simply can't have VIP. 

I don't know, but I guess this price discrepancy doesn't happens in other countries, or people would be complaining for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
KeithJClark

Actually, I'm new to Smule and it is that way, today, right now in the US.

• In June 2020 I was able to purchase Smule on Android @ $49.99  This allows a user to use vip on 3 accounts. But the app has issues.
  • Took my wifes old iPhone and bought the iTunes Store one @ $9.99 a week (Yes, thats $520 a year!) It also allows 3 vip accounts.
  • I canned both and bought 2 accounts directly from Smule.com @ $39.99 per year. Only caveat: you can use one single vip account on both ios and android.

Strange business model, right? :)

Keith

opentype

There is some logic behind it.

The Android prices have always been lower, since the Apple version has more features and is more stable. 

The prices for the app stores were only raised dramatically after Smule introduced their own VIP purchase through the homepage. Basically, they rather want you directly as customer and don’t want you to go through Apple or Google. But if people are willing to pay for the high prices anyway, then they can of course. And it’s still a good door opener for Smule. Someone with a weekly Apple subscription might become a yearly website subscriber later. 

The only problem with the VIP subscription on the Smule website is that it is not available in every country and only credit cards are accepted. So some people just can’t get it. But if they know the low prices and can only get it on the App store for so much more, then it will look really bad. No doubt about that. 

KeithJClark

Thanks, that's great to know! (and nice to meet ya)

For anyone wanting a little further current insight into multiple accounts and differences between Smule.com, Google playstore, and iTunes ios etc, here's a recent note from Smule Support.

Smule Support Team (Smule)

Jul 6, 2020, 3:01 PM GMT+3

Regarding your questions - you are correct about all points. You can indeed have up to 3 accounts linked to VIP subscriptions made through iTunes or Google Play but you can only use those on the same platform. From Smule.com you can have only 1 account with VIP but you can use it on both Android and iOS platforms.

For further questions on how to share your VIP with more people or anything related to that matter, please contact Google Play or iTunes since we don't support those cases as we have no control over that.

2. Please Fully explain the options for switching profiles on ios and android, and send me a help document to confirm if the following is true:

a. ITunes store subscription - can have 3 vip profiles but cannot use on android

b. Google play subscription - can have 3 vip profiles but cannot use on ios

c. Smule.com subscription - can only have one profile but can use in BOTH ios and Android

Since I need to be on BOTH platforms my understanding is that the smule website purchase is the only way to go.

Keith

_RamKrish1012

Sad but True. The way I see how this has occurred, is Smule a 'Kareoke App' was developed for Apple IoS and Smule being a small unknown Business Entity when they started needed Apple Store-iTunes for Marketing and building the Smule Customer Base. Soon Smule realised the Android Population world wide was huge so they tweaked the Smule software to Suit all Androids and allowed Google Play Store to Promote. With Time Smule realised that their revenue was a pittance compared to the margins made by Apple iTunes and Google Play Store and allowed membership direct through Smule web site. 

I was lucky as I subscribed from Day 1 through Smule web site and pay Just Aud$ 30 per annum.

It is unfortunate new members will not have the benefit of our Experiences

• 2 months later...
Sips16

Sirji- I think all smule members can still go through their website and buy VIP as opposed to going through iTunes (iOC) or Google PlayStore (Android). I too have been buying/renewing directly through Smule website, and I use my account on both iOS and Android devices. 

_RamKrish1012

Swapnil, Think you misunderstood me. I did not say you cannot join using Smule web site. What I meant was someone New joining for the first time, get directed by their mobile phones to either Apple Store or Google Play and won't know they can subscribe from Smule Web Site. Yes when we get VIP from Smule web site we can use it on Android and IOS systems. I use the iPad for recording and the Samsung 7 for messaging smule friends

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Karlalujan
On 6/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, lYuki_ said:

I know that App Store takes a bigger bite but this price difference is just insane. 

R$25 vs R$205.

it's like U$5 vs $40.

s1.png

s2.png

I think all smule members can still go through their website and buy VIP as opposed to going app through iTunes (iOC) or Google PlayStore (Android). I too have been buying/renewing directly through Smule website, and I use my account on both iOS and Android devices. 

Thanks, that's great to know! 

Edited by Karlalujan