Strange Audio Issue - Smule + iRig Pre

Guitarbloke

I hope someone can help! 🥺

I use an iRig Pre to connect my microphone into Smule.  However, I'm getting a strange problem - it doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 50% of the time.

When it occurs, it's only ever when I'm joining someone else's song - if I sing solo, it doesn't happen.

So the problem is this - I go to join someone's song, I sing my part, and everything sounds fine in the earphones.

But then when I go to the editing screen, the other person's voice is now all messed up - it sounds like they are singing in a bathroom. But get this - if I then turn my vocal level down, the other person sounds fine again.

And it happens incrementally too - if I turn my vocal down just a little bit, the other person's voice cleans up a little bit.  If I turn my vocal down to the minimum, the other person sounds perfectly fine.

At first I thought, maybe my earphones were bleeding into the mic, but it isn't that - I've tried a few different sets of earphone.  Plus I checked, and unless you are actually wearing the earphones, you really cannot hear anything bleeding out of them even with the volume turned way up. 

I also don't believe it's the headphones because it only happens 50% of the time.  For example, I could record my part one time and it woudl be messed up as described, but I could then go and record it again and might be fine.

I wondered if it's an iRig thing - has anyone else had this problem? I've checked it and it's set up and connected  correctly, it's set to a decent level (not too high, not too low), and I'm because I'm not using a condenser mic, the 48v phantom power is turned off.

Just to add - I have also tested this with my condenser mic using the phantom power in the iRig, and the same issue occurs (again, 50% of the time), so I do not believe this is a mic or headphones issue.

opentype

It sounds like a connection problem, either on the phone socket or the headphone socket on the iRig pre. You could try to narrow it down by disconnecting the iRig pre directly after the recording and plugging your headphone directly into the phone. 

• like 1

Guitarbloke
51 minutes ago, opentype said:

It sounds like a connection problem, either on the phone socket or the headphone socket on the iRig pre. You could try to narrow it down by disconnecting the iRig pre directly after the recording and plugging your headphone directly into the phone. 

Thanks for the suggestion man - I'll give that a try today! 🙂

Guitarbloke
1 hour ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Could even be weak batteries unless you have a power supply for it.

Only suggesting

Good suggestion!  I did try changing the battery last week but it didn't make any diffiernece sadly :(

_RamKrish1012

Good Excuse for Dumping your iRig Pre and treating yourself to an i Rig Pro with its own Power Supply. Never had a Problem. It also has Phantom Power 48V but I just use my Dynamic Microphones Sony and AKG. Good enough for me  Cheers

• like 1