Editing your song parts via Punch-In and Punch-out ?

hartiberlin

I heard that Apple users can edit their sung song versions and use something like Punch In and Punch out to replace parts of their singing in a song, so they can edit it, without singing again the whole song ?
Is that true ?
I also would like to have this feature on my Android 9 Xiaomi phone...
Alone for this I would probably buy an IPhone, if this is not coming to Android...
I hate to re-sing the whole song always, if I made a small error and can not correct it afterwards,
but have to sing the whole song again..lol..

Also is there any Android driver or App like the Asio driver on PCs which reduces delays between  singing and the monitoring on the headphones ? That would really help to fiddle around with the delay settings after singing to get a song in sync with the partner...
Please let me know.
Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

Edited by hartiberlin

opentype
5 hours ago, hartiberlin said:

I heard that Apple users can edit their sung song versions and use something like Punch In and Punch out to replace parts of their singing in a song, so they can edit it, without singing again the whole song ?
Is that true ?

For audio recordings, yes. 

opentype

It might never come. It’s hard enough to even record in sync on Android. Skipping through the song freely might be impossible to get right on every Android phone. 

_RamKrish1012

Stefan,

To be honest I struggled with my Samsung 7 for almost 18 months. Then I decided to buy not an iPhone as I love the Samsung 7  Camera; I bought an iPad just for Smule after advice from Open Type. I got the 2018 Model that allows me to plug the head phone. I now use a  Phone interface IK medias iRig Pro I/O and a Noise Cancelling head phone and a Dynamic Microphone to make the set up complete.

Now with an iPad I found there is no time lag between my singing and the time the audio gets recorded. With my Samsung time lag was a nuisance and I set it on minus 300 milliseconds to get it to nearly match. In the beginning people were telling me off for singing slowly and out of timing.

The iPad also allows you to preset the level of the beat from the backing track which I never saw on Android.

Now coming to editing your recording as you go. Yes it is am amazing feature that you can use but only for audio and not videos. With audio recording on Smule You can pause the recording at any stage and go back and re sing the parts you are not happy with. But you have to do your edits before the song finishes. Dont think edits are possible after full recording is complete. You can definitely edit and resing bits as you go..

This is such an amazing feature. I could be singing away happily and hit a snag with the lyrics and fumble. I can stop, track back as far as i want and re sing, the bit without resinging the entire song

'

• 7 months later...
mathewscc

1. Thanks. Like the case of audio only, is there a way to punch-in or replace a certain portion only of video songs? Or the only way to do it is to re-sing the video song?

2. Is there any way one can adjust the track to vocal volume mix ? Or the only way is to control your vocal and the track volume is already set and cannot be changed ?

opentype
5 hours ago, mathewscc said:

is there a way to punch-in or replace a certain portion only of video songs? 

No. 

5 hours ago, mathewscc said:

Or the only way is to control your vocal and the track volume is already set and cannot be changed?

Yes. 

mathewscc

Thank you very much.

Sorry another question, I see from some videos that in Android there is a facility called "Vocal Match". I use iOS and didn't see that.  Is that not available for iOS platform? Is there a way to balance the Track-Vocal after singing before saving the audio ?

• 2 months later...
dkGermany

Hi, I'm thinking about buying an iPad for this editing reason. Will any iPad be fine? For example iPad 5?