misterspeakeasy

How often does SMULE add songs to the official songbook?

misterspeakeasy

As I understand it, SMULE negotiates all the appropriate copyright for songs added to the Official Songbook, whereas songs added to the Community Songbook don’t have such protection or validation.

What I’m asking is how often SMULE adds material. (I take it that such material either requires negotiation with multiple parties... and may even require to be commissioned as a fresh recording by session musicians).

The question behind this question is really how, as a user, I can encourage the addition of more (legitimate) tracks. A few of us really enjoy singing to acoustic versions of pop and MOR classics.... especially when such material has been given a very fresh, new, alternative treatment (viz. a jazz version, a stripped down version, a slowed down version, a piano version, an acoustic guitar version). 

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome!

• like 1

PeacefulJoin

Good question! I don’t have the answer. Maybe a start would be if more users request more tracks, as you’re doing now. 

I have a couple of songs I would like to see added to the Smule songbook. I wish there was an acoustic guitar or piano version of the song “On My Way Back Home” by the Band of Horses. Another song I wish was in the songbook is “Alibis” by Sergio Mendes. Neither of the songs of any version exist on the app. 

misterspeakeasy

I think we have to bear in mind that the cost of in-house material (including ongoing royalty payments) can be pretty high.... and that a very large number of subscribers are not native English speakers..

It probably makes sense for SMULE to navigate the cruise ship away from hidden reefs, shallow waters and rocky coastlines... and stick to the main shipping lanes.

PeacefulJoin

I was merely throwing out my simple thoughts, as you asked, pertaining to your  root question. Maybe someone with more “thoughts” can assist you. It appears you have more concerns than just the addition of songs. Good luck! 😁

PeacefulJoin
Posted (edited)

Good News! Thanks to Sing Salon the Smule Community has a new upload: the song “Alibis” by Sergio Mendes! 🙌🏼 A nice user saw the post/request on this site, and he uploaded it today. He did an excellent job! It’s precisely timed, and parts are separated perfectly. A big thank you to this super kind user! 🙏🏼😊

Edited by PeacefulJoin
spacing