Jump to content

CALLING OUT SMULE MASTERS: How to use Smule with external vocal processors


Singtogether

Recommended Posts

Singtogether
10 hours ago, opentype said:

A mixer is for ‚Äď well, mixing. If you only have one microphone, there is no need for a mixer.¬†

The setup looks correct now. Make sure the BOSS pedal is set up correctly (see manual). You need to set it to mono and you need to adjust the input sensitivity. You also have the gain setting on the iRig PRE. It will need some trial and error to get these two settings right. 

This Finally WORKED! I adjusted the mono and input sensitivity as recommended. Thank YOU so much! ūüė䬆ūüôŹ¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites
Singtogether

https://www.smule.com/c/1119629439_3074435031

I didn‚Äôt adjust sound effect or preverb, everything is factory setting.¬†¬†just put it on the preset‚ÄúECHO‚ÄĚ mode. I think I should have used ‚ÄúDelay‚ÄĚ mode. ¬†I also noticed that you lose the SMULE sound affect like super studio when singing with VP. I perhaps need play it around more to make it sound better, but for now, I‚Äôm ecstatic that it got connected! Excuse¬†my bad singing lol¬†

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, opentype said:

I think we should stick to the topic of using effect pedals such as the Boss Ve 20 here. For other questions and equipment, please open a new topic. 

OK Boss. Yes I agree as it Confuses and digresses from the Original request. BTW Never heard of effect pedals does it mean Mixer ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, opentype said:

I think we should stick to the topic of using effect pedals such as the Boss Ve 20 here. For other questions and equipment, please open a new topic. 

Guru, Yes and No.

The Topic Heading is "CALLING OUT SMULE MASTERS: How to use Smule with external vocal processors"

Not Just "Boss VE 20"

Having said that,  you are the Boss. I'll Take your advice and start a new thread.

BTW what is an effect pedal ? Is it another word for Mixer ?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I also have a boss ve- 20 my favorite feature is go to menu master noise threshold will go up to 100% and take out any mic hiss or noise you may have great feature happy singing...E

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a boss ve- 20 my favorite feature is go to menu master noise threshold will go up to 100% and take out any mic hiss or noise you may have great feature happy singing...E

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moonlight here is what you need with a longer cord. One 3 pin goes to the. BOSS VE- 20 mic input the other goes to the irig mic pre 3 PIN the one left go's to the mic hope this helps.... you have two ways of controlling the gain one is from the iRig mic pre the other is from is the BOSS VE-20

 

audeze_b4_3xlr_4_pin_to_dual_3_pin_1072804.jpg.cf.jpg

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

As far as the effects pedals go I use my boss ve-20 and my TC Helicon Mic Mechanic to give me effects Smule does not provide on my home system when I record

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Typo
  • like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Dr israr Ansari

Did your system worked finally. Please let me know as I am interested to have this system if working 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
DeesBee
On 7/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, _GJAM_ said:

easiest thing is to get a mixer with good digital effects and unbalanced rca output with a   headphone/mic splitter run your xlr uni or cond to xlr (phantom power w cond)unbalced out to 3.5 mic input on splitter and headphones on headphones split      mixers much cheapers than VP and anything will work if u already purchased things  u just have to wire it right i/o if u stillhave the things u bought hit me up guarantee we can get em working  the heaphone mic splitter is the key  the phone will record anything that comes thru the mic side   irig not necessary  i use irig for portable and ease at times but no need to use it with a mixer the audio on smule is low quality 128kb m4a anyway and their rendering is horrific hence the reason most sound great on headphones and all outta whack on bluetooth speakers and vehicles (when layered) but ive developed a simple process in my studio to fix that after the recording to make the tracks sound good outside of headphones. good luck  if i can help let me know

Hi, I'm interested to know how you can improve the downloads so they don't sound like crap on speakers etc. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
opentype
2 hours ago, DeesBee said:

Hi, I'm interested to know how you can improve the downloads so they don't sound like crap on speakers etc. Thanks!

Not sure what problem you have with the sound. The quality of the background track depends on the quality of the original upload and the quality of the singing depends on the microphone. But other than that I think the quality of a finished Smule performance is as good as it can be. 

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
DeesBee
On 6/5/2020 at 6:52 PM, opentype said:

Not sure what problem you have with the sound. The quality of the background track depends on the quality of the original upload and the quality of the singing depends on the microphone. But other than that I think the quality of a finished Smule performance is as good as it can be. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree the download quality is generally good enough on headphones. I think the compression codec optimises downloads for headphones ... but when played back on speakers the sound staging is all over the place, leading to very "hollowed out" or generally poor sounding tracks.

_GJAM_ said in his post he knew of a fix for that ...

On 7/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, _GJAM_ said:

easiest thing is to get a mixer with good digital effects and unbalanced rca output with a   headphone/mic splitter run your xlr uni or cond to xlr (phantom power w cond)unbalced out to 3.5 mic input on splitter and headphones on headphones split      mixers much cheapers than VP and anything will work if u already purchased things  u just have to wire it right i/o if u stillhave the things u bought hit me up guarantee we can get em working  the heaphone mic splitter is the key  the phone will record anything that comes thru the mic side   irig not necessary  i use irig for portable and ease at times but no need to use it with a mixer the audio on smule is low quality 128kb m4a anyway and their rendering is horrific hence the reason most sound great on headphones and all outta whack on bluetooth speakers and vehicles (when layered) but ive developed a simple process in my studio to fix that after the recording to make the tracks sound good outside of headphones. good luck  if i can help let me know

"... ive developed a simple process in my studio to fix that after the recording to make the tracks sound good outside of headphones. good luck  if i can help let me know..."

Appreciate if you could share the simple studio fix. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
SPARC2020

I recently tried to use my external mic with iPhone, XLR to 3.5mm and 3.5 to iPhone adapters. This all worked about 6 months ago, I also used a TC-Helicon Performer VK as a mic processor. However, the external mic now is silent and only the iPhone mic is active, whether I have the adapters connected or not. Smule help will not address this. I suspect SMULE has changed their software and external mics can no longer be used.  

BC312C6E-FE36-4410-B72C-D9C2AAF8828E.jpeg

image.jpg

  • like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
opentype
1 hour ago, SPARC2020 said:

XLR to 3.5mm and 3.5 to iPhone adapters.

This is not recommendable. XLR connections aren’t meant to be used like that. There should always be XLR on both sides. That’s why XLR audio adapters like the iRig Pre or the iRig Pro I/O are used by many Smule users. 

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SPARC2020
7 hours ago, opentype said:

This is not recommendable. XLR connections aren’t meant to be used like that. There should always be XLR on both sides. That’s why XLR audio adapters like the iRig Pre or the iRig Pro I/O are used by many Smule users. 

This depends on the product. Microphone signals being very low voltage use a balanced audio circuit (+ phase, - phase and common/ground). iPhones (and most phones) have a 4 pin connection Headphone Left, Hdph Right, Common and Microphone Input. A properly wired XLR Mic cable would tie XLR - (Pin 3) and Ground (Pin 1) together, that would then connect to the iPhone Common. The remaining XLR + (Pin 2) would connect to the iPhone Microphone Input. If wired as such it is a completely legit and high quality connection. However you can't count on cables being built properly so buyer beware. The cable I purchased does work properly and is listed for sale as "LyxPro XLR Female to TRRS 10 Feet Connects Professional XLR Microphones to iOS, iPhone, iPad, and iPod" -  Includes 3.5mm Output for Headphones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.