CALLING OUT SMULE MASTERS: How to use Smule with external vocal processors

Singtogether
10 hours ago, opentype said:

A mixer is for ā€“ well, mixing. If you only have one microphone, there is no need for a mixer.Ā 

The setup looks correct now. Make sure the BOSS pedal is set up correctly (see manual). You need to set it to mono and you need to adjust the input sensitivity. You also have the gain setting on the iRig PRE. It will need some trial and error to get these two settings right.Ā 

This Finally WORKED! I adjusted the mono and input sensitivity as recommended. Thank YOU so much! šŸ˜ŠĀ šŸ™Ā 

Singtogether

Thank you all for your help! You are the best! šŸ’•Ā 

Opentype You are the life saverĀ !Ā 

keanu reeves thank you GIF

• like 1

opentype

Glad you got it working. Feel free to post a link to a song sometime where we can hear how nice the effects of the Boss pedal sound.Ā 

Singtogether

https://www.smule.com/c/1119629439_3074435031

I didnā€™t adjust sound effect or preverb, everything is factory setting.Ā Ā just put it on the presetā€œECHOā€ mode. I think I should have used ā€œDelayā€ mode. Ā I also noticed that you lose the SMULE sound affect like super studio when singing with VP. I perhaps need play it around more to make it sound better, but for now, Iā€™m ecstatic that it got connected! ExcuseĀ my bad singing lolĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, opentype said:

I think we should stick to theĀ topic of using effect pedals such as theĀ Boss Ve 20 here. For other questions and equipment, please open a new topic.Ā 

OK Boss. Yes I agree as it Confuses and digresses from the Original request. BTW Never heard of effect pedals does it mean Mixer ?

_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, opentype said:

I think we should stick to theĀ topic of using effect pedals such as theĀ Boss Ve 20 here. For other questions and equipment, please open a new topic.Ā 

Guru, Yes and No.

The Topic Heading is "CALLING OUT SMULE MASTERS: How to use Smule with external vocal processors"

Not Just "Boss VE 20"

Having said that,Ā Ā you are the Boss. I'll Take your advice and start a new thread.

BTW what is an effect pedal ? Is it another word for Mixer ?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
ELVIS_USA

I also have a boss ve- 20 my favorite feature is go to menu master noise threshold will go up to 100% and take out any mic hiss or noise you may have great feature happy singing...E

Ā 

ELVIS_USA

I also have a boss ve- 20 my favorite feature is go to menu master noise threshold will go up to 100% and take out any mic hiss or noise you may have great feature happy singing...E

Ā 

ELVIS_USA

Moonlight here is what you need with a longer cord. One 3 pinĀ goes to the. BOSSĀ VE-Ā 20 mic input the other goes to the irig mic pre 3 PIN the one left go's to the mic hope this helps.... you have two ways of controlling the gainĀ one is from the iRig mic pre the other is fromĀ is the BOSS VE-20

Ā 

audeze_b4_3xlr_4_pin_to_dual_3_pin_1072804.jpg.cf.jpg

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Typo

• 4 weeks later...
ELVIS_USA

As far as the effects pedals go I use my boss ve-20 and my TC Helicon Mic Mechanic to give meĀ effectsĀ Smule does not provide on my home system when I record

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Typo
  • like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Dr israr Ansari

Did your system worked finally. Please let me know as I am interested to have this system if workingĀ 

Ā 

• 1 month later...
DeesBee
On 7/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, _GJAM_ said:

easiest thing is to get a mixer with good digital effects and unbalanced rca output with aĀ  Ā headphone/mic splitter run your xlr uni or cond to xlr (phantom power w cond)unbalced out to 3.5 mic input on splitter and headphones on headphones splitĀ  Ā  Ā  mixers much cheapers than VP and anything will work if u already purchased thingsĀ  u just have to wire it right i/o if u stillhave the things u bought hit me up guarantee we can get em workingĀ  the heaphone mic splitter is the keyĀ  the phone will record anything that comes thru the mic sideĀ  Ā irig not necessaryĀ  i use irig for portable and ease at times but no need to use it with a mixer the audio on smule is low quality 128kb m4a anyway and their rendering is horrific hence the reason most sound great on headphones and all outta whack on bluetooth speakers and vehicles (when layered) but ive developed a simple process in my studio to fix that after the recording to make the tracks sound good outside of headphones. good luckĀ  if i can help let me know

Hi, I'm interested to know how you can improve the downloads so they don't sound like crap on speakers etc. Thanks!

opentype
2 hours ago, DeesBee said:

Hi, I'm interested to know how you can improve the downloads so they don't sound like crap on speakers etc. Thanks!

Not sure what problem you have with the sound. The quality of the background track depends on the quality of the original upload and the quality of the singing depends on the microphone. But other than that I think the quality of a finished Smule performance is as good as it can be.Ā 

• 1 month later...
DeesBee
On 6/5/2020 at 6:52 PM, opentype said:

Not sure what problem you have with the sound. The quality of the background track depends on the quality of the original upload and the quality of the singing depends on the microphone. But other than that I think the quality of a finished Smule performance is as good as it can be.Ā 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree the download quality is generally good enough on headphones. I think the compression codec optimises downloads for headphones ... but when played back on speakers the sound staging is all over the place, leading to very "hollowed out" or generally poor sounding tracks.

_GJAM_ said in his post he knew of a fix for that ...

On 7/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, _GJAM_ said:

easiest thing is to get a mixer with good digital effects and unbalanced rca output with aĀ  Ā headphone/mic splitter run your xlr uni or cond to xlr (phantom power w cond)unbalced out to 3.5 mic input on splitter and headphones on headphones splitĀ  Ā  Ā  mixers much cheapers than VP and anything will work if u already purchased thingsĀ  u just have to wire it right i/o if u stillhave the things u bought hit me up guarantee we can get em workingĀ  the heaphone mic splitter is the keyĀ  the phone will record anything that comes thru the mic sideĀ  Ā irig not necessaryĀ  i use irig for portable and ease at times but no need to use it with a mixer the audio on smule is low quality 128kb m4a anyway and their rendering is horrific hence the reason most sound great on headphones and all outta whack on bluetooth speakers and vehicles (when layered) but ive developed a simple process in my studio to fix that after the recording to make the tracks sound good outside of headphones. good luckĀ  if i can help let me know

"... ive developed a simple process in my studio to fix that after the recording to make the tracks sound good outside of headphones. good luckĀ  if i can help let me know..."

Appreciate if you could share the simple studio fix. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
SPARC2020

I recently tried to use my external mic with iPhone, XLR to 3.5mm and 3.5 to iPhone adapters. This all worked about 6 months ago, I also used a TC-Helicon Performer VK as a mic processor. However, the external mic now is silent and only the iPhone mic is active, whether I have the adapters connected or not. Smule help will not address this. I suspect SMULE has changed their software and external mics can no longer be used.Ā Ā 

BC312C6E-FE36-4410-B72C-D9C2AAF8828E.jpeg

image.jpg

• like 1

opentype
1 hour ago, SPARC2020 said:

XLR to 3.5mm and 3.5 to iPhone adapters.

This is not recommendable. XLR connections arenā€™t meant to be used like that. There should alwaysĀ be XLR on both sides. Thatā€™s why XLR audio adapters like the iRig Pre or the iRig Pro I/O are used by many Smule users.Ā 

SPARC2020
7 hours ago, opentype said:

This is not recommendable. XLR connections arenā€™t meant to be used like that. There should alwaysĀ be XLR on both sides. Thatā€™s why XLR audio adapters like the iRig Pre or the iRig Pro I/O are used by many Smule users.Ā 

This depends on the product. Microphone signals being very low voltage use a balanced audio circuit (+ phase, - phase and common/ground). iPhones (and most phones) have a 4 pin connection Headphone Left, Hdph Right, Common and Microphone Input. A properly wired XLR Mic cable would tie XLR - (Pin 3) and Ground (Pin 1) together, that would then connect to the iPhone Common. The remaining XLR + (Pin 2) would connect to the iPhone Microphone Input. If wired as such it is a completely legit and high quality connection. However you can't count on cables being built properly so buyer beware. The cable I purchased does work properly and is listed for sale as "LyxPro XLR Female to TRRS 10 Feet Connects Professional XLR Microphones to iOS, iPhone, iPad, and iPod" -Ā  Includes 3.5mm Output for Headphones.

• 1 month later...
Incog92

Hi,Ā 

Ā 

do you know how this would work if I want to plug my condenser mic and my guitar at the same time?Ā 
Ā 

is there a possibility to have my amp, or just guitar pedal to plug in so I can just have FX on guitar and just have the mic stay how it is? I want to record and sing at the same time as I want to play guitar and or solo into songs..

Ā 

i do use an iPad, and a phantom power (power supply) by Newer, but I have a feeling ill need to buy a mixer board.. I also own an irig pre.

Edited by Incog92

_RamKrish1012
19 hours ago, Incog92 said:

Hi,Ā do you know how this would work if I want to plug my condenser mic and my guitar at the same time?Ā 
is there a possibility to have my amp, or just guitar pedal to plug in so I can just have FX on guitar and just have the mic stay how it is? I want to record and sing at the same time as I want to play guitar and or solo into songs..i do use an iPad, and a phantom power (power supply) by Newer, but I have a feeling ill need to buy a mixer board.. I also own an irig pre.

My suggestion would be for you to look at IK medias iRig Pro Duo that has provision fr two XLR Cablke inputs yiou can use for your guitar and your microphone. It also has Phantom power for Condenser microphone. This is the Top of the IK Media Range. How ever I have not used an iRig Pro Duo myself. So Please take a look. There could be better options which other experts might suggest. Cheers

Ā 

Ā 

Incog92

Thank you, I will check that out! Iā€™ve done a little bit of research and seems I could get the new Irig that just came out not long ago, known as the ā€œIrig Streamā€,Ā and then I add a mixer board with it. I have the iPad (2017) Gen. 6th edition. And thank you for your suggestions and help!

SPARC2020

Just beware... my experience of the newer Ipads and Iphones is that they always select their internal mic system and do not switch to audio input of any kind from external sources. My solution is to use an older Iphone that has the standard 4 conducter 3.5mm (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) headphone port. (same as the headphone out on the Ipad.)
I use theĀ TC-Helicon Performer VK as a mic processor which also has inputs for a keyboard or pre-amplified guitar. The advantage of the Performer is it tracks the music and allows 'real' harmony to occur based upon the melodic and chordal content of the music.Ā 

SunilKrishnan9

Hello there! I looked up at a lot of videos for doing this and the good news is: I am able to do the following:

• I use a condenser mic (RodeNT1A) connected to a Roland Mixer Pro which is then connected to my Android Mobile (Samsung). I have posted the links of the musical devices:
  • I got a "TC Helicon Harmony Singer" which is a vocal processorĀ to which I then connected my mic and then the output to the "Mic Input slot" of my Roland Mixer Pro. It is as simple as that. I learnt to do this myself. I could not see any video for it. I have ordered the TC Helicon Intelligent Harmony H1. I plan to use it for my harmonies on Smule.
  • The IRIG Pre-HD is being widely used for interfacing an external mic to mobile devices. I had a bad experience with it and hence not commenting further on it. Please check out the below Youtube Video. This gives you quite a good idea of what mics to use and how to use them:Ā https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_ZF90EQ3k&list=PLboeUp9pMcNVc3dVUOTV3E6oDPEFVoTte&index=8&ab_channel=CreativeSauce