Cannot get my iRig Pro I/O to work with my iPad. Need Help

_RamKrish1012

Guru,

I received my i Rig Pro I/O by courier this morning. Was all excited. Put the batteries into the unit, plugged in the Dynamic Mic using XLR Cable, made sure Phantom 48V is switched off. Plugged my Head Phones into i Rig Pro and Plugged i Rig Pro to my iPad using Lightning port as there is no cable to connect to ear phone socket of i Pad like the i Rig Pre.

Every thing is DEAD. NO LED Lights on i Rig Pro I/O and no sound in my head phone and no signal from the MIC.

What am I doing wrong ?

Pl Help

Ram

_RamKrish1012

Was disheartened and put it all back into the box last night.

This morning I reconnected the iRig Pro I/O to my iPad and Mic and head phones and it started to work.

Yippee

Need tips on how to adjust the gain level for best recording.

I have noticed that when the iRig is connected to the lightning port (charging port) of i Pad, the Volume control on iPad gets disabled which did not happen with i Rig Pre as it was plugged into the ear phone socket.

I am also experiencing more issues when on Video recording mode as opposed to audio only.

Looking for expert guidance Please folks

Ram

opentype
8 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Need tips on how to adjust the gain level for best recording.

Trial and error basically. You want it as high as possible, but not so loud to make the signal peak (i.e. distort the sound). The distortion can be heard. After recording on the review screen, you can also see the recorded waveforms. They should look similar in height to a recording with a regular headset. 

Once the perfect setting was found for the mic, you never ever have to touch that again. My iRig Pro I/O gain is at 8.5 always. 

_RamKrish1012

Thanks Guru,

I was scared to crank  up the gain so set the gain at 5.0 and could hardly hear my voice when recording and I kept cranking the head phone volume up. Almost ruptured my ear drums.

I will set GAIN at 8.5 as suggested and see how I go.

95% of the time I am joining invites from others and singers who use all sort of phones and Super studio settings. Do these have any bearing on the Gain setting?

I am using the Dynamic Mic still. Buying a Condenser Mic is the next step.

Power supply for i Rig Pro I/O is out of stock and I may have to wait a week or two. For the First time in six months my Pad battery ran out of juice and down to 10%. This means despite the batteries the i Rig Pro I/O drains the i Pad Battery.

The midi input is for guitars etc. What is the Midi output in i RIG Pro for ?

Thanks for all your guidance. It has been a nice learning curve

Cheers

opentype
1 hour ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

95% of the time I am joining invites from others and singers who use all sort of phones and Super studio settings. Do these have any bearing on the Gain setting?

No. You only set the interface gain for the mic you are using. To make sure you match other people in duets, you use the volume slider on the review screen before uploading. 

1 hour ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

What is the Midi output in i RIG Pro for ?

Well, it’s to connect midi devices like keyboards and so on. 

_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, opentype said:

No. You only set the interface gain for the mic you are using. To make sure you match other people in duets, you use the volume slider on the review screen before uploading. 

OK The Gain on i Rig Pro is to do only with Microphone used. Thanks for this input.

13 hours ago, opentype said:

To make sure you match other people in duets, you use the volume slider on the review screen before uploading. 

Earlier on after recording duets could view audio signature of both singers and I used to adjust the volume to match the original singer. In Super studio you don't get to see the audio signature of the first singer so volume adjustment has to be done on what I hear after recording. May be Studio is different so have to check it out.

14 hours ago, opentype said:

What is the Midi output in i RIG Pro for ?

Midi INPUT is for Key Board etc. I want to know how the Midi Output can be used

• 2 weeks later...
ELVIS_USA

You will notice if you set the gain too high the pointer will stop moving bring it down till it follows each block with your vocals a tip  you could use white out make a line on the plastic then make a line on the rolling wheel and now you will always be able to set yourself up right at that same spot hope this helps......E

ELVIS_USA

after doing this you can use your Yamaha mixer gain control as your new vocal mic control.. works for me 👍

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Add more

_RamKrish1012

It is now a week or more with my iRig Pro I/O.

My iPad is on apple charger at nights. I disconnect the charger and connect the iRig Pro to the charging port and then turn the iPad on and the iRig Pro does not come to life and I cannot hear anything in my head phones. So I switch the iPad off and reboot and the iRig Pro is recognised by the iPad and comes alive. I am having to this every day. Dont understand why?

As my iPad is dedicated 100% for Smule how do I ensure the iRig Pro works every time?

I don't want to leave my iPad connected to the iRig Pro when I am not using the iPad singing on Smule

_RamKrish1012
8 hours ago, ELVIS_USA said:

You will notice if you set the gain too high the pointer will stop moving bring it down till it follows each block with your vocals a tip  you could use white out make a line on the plastic then make a line on the rolling wheel and now you will always be able to set yourself up right at that same spot hope this helps......E

I set the iRig Pro gain at MAX 10 and the Pointer still moves when I am singing, but at this very high setting my iRig Pro LED is mostly Red and Orange in Colour. Setting the iRig gain at 8.0 eliminated the red zone totally but the signature is very very low and I have to raise the vocals after recording to as much as 3 to 4 dB So at this point of time 9.00 seems to be working for this particular duet. I am not sure if gain settings needs to be altered for each and every recording. It appears that the gain setting below 8.0 is of no use and irrelevant.

Mate I owe you a big one for enlightening me today and making me so Happy. I had no Clue about the pointer and the need to sing so it tracks the Bars as closely as Possible. I recorded the same duet twice. First ignoring the bars and the pointer and the second time trying to keep the pointer at the same level as the bars and the recording was so much better. Not all Indian song uploads and invites have the music bars though, plus keeping an eye on the bars means tripping on lyrics at times as you take your eyes off the lyrics

_RamKrish1012
On 6/18/2019 at 8:54 PM, opentype said:

After recording on the review screen, you can also see the recorded waveforms.

Earlier on when there was no Super Studio I remember I could see the wave forms of the first singer and adjust my wave form to similar height using the Vocals Volume adjustment. It is not there any more. Wish they had not removed this. Tell me I am wrong and I'd have learnt something more today. Cheers Mate

_RamKrish1012
9 hours ago, ELVIS_USA said:

after doing this you can use your Yamaha mixer gain control as your new vocal mic control.. works for me 👍

Not ready to graduate to this level yet. I am plugging my dyn mic into 1/L in my Yamaha using an XLR cable. Wondering if I should use a splitter XLR Cable and plug the Mic into 1/L and 2/R to make it stereo ?

ELVIS_USA

The more cable you use the higher resistance you get keep all cables to a minimum length and the less noise you will have in your recordings from your mic

ELVIS_USA

The only change I would make is when you're ready get a three feet or six foot mogami gold mic cable to go directly to your mic from your Yamaha mixer to your Channel One XLR mic input

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Added more

ELVIS_USA

Also. Check out the shure beta 58A when you're ready to move up to better vocal quality that Mike Will Outlast you and its also a  hot mic so it drives better the vocal when it's needed in the mix

_RamKrish1012

Elvis,

Thanks for all your guidance. Believe Gain set at 9 on i Rig Pro I/O works best for me at this stage. I also found that the final recording depends on my setting for the head phones. The louder the head phone setting the louder I sing and ends up with distortion. at 8.5 it was too loud and I find the final recordings are better with Head Phone level of 7.5. But then this also varies with uploads to some extent.

Yes I will get the 3 feet Mogami Gold Mic Cable. Will order it on line.

I also agree my AKG Vocal D5 Dynamic Microphone may not be best for singing.

Now I am wondering if I should get the Shure Beta 58A that you have suggested or the Rhode N2 Condenser mic that comes highly recommended. Unfortunately none of the DJ equipment suppliers have a Studio like quiet room to test the gadgets before you buy; all very Noisy stores.

To be honest I think the yamaha MG06x is a gimick. Would be nice to have one with a proper equaliser so you can tweak all frequencies after recording.

Been good fun though for a retiree. Music in my second innings. Never thought of that.

Cheers

ELVIS_USA

The sm58 has been a staple in music from the Woodstock days to the present and the new improved beta 58a is a cleaner more controled vocal mic I'm not knocking down Road road is an excellent company for vocal mics but shure is still the king that all companies strive to be... do you really think I would spend $160 if I got RODE NT-1A sitting on the floor? There's got to be a reason right...enough said

_RamKrish1012
22 hours ago, ELVIS_USA said:

The sm58 has been a staple in music from the Woodstock days to the present and the new improved beta 58a is a cleaner more controled vocal mic I'm not knocking down Road road is an excellent company for vocal mics but shure is still the king that all companies strive to be... do you really think I would spend $160 if I got RODE NT-1A sitting on the floor? There's got to be a reason right...enough said

If you already have the Rode NT-1A and recommend the Shure SM58 that is good enough reason to take your advice. The Rode NT 2A is a new model though but three times the Price of Shure SM58.

Thank You. Learning a Lot 

ELVIS_USA

Remember you want the shure beta58A. Don't let them sell you a shure sm58 there is a difference

ELVIS_USA

Do you buy your mic from a reputable dealer?  There are a lot of fakes out there check YouTube to tell the difference between a fake and a real one before you buy

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, ELVIS_USA said:

Remember you want the shure beta58A. Don't let them sell you a shure sm58 there is a difference

Yes I will. Thanks Brother

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, ELVIS_USA said:

Do you buy your mic from a reputable dealer?  There are a lot of fakes out there check YouTube to tell the difference between a fake and a real one before you buy

Yes I buy from Store DJ in Sydney where all DJs choose to buy their gear.

I am convinced that I need a Better Microphone that my Current AKG D5 Vocal and my Sony F-V420. Considering Shure Beta58A Aud $ 234 that you suggest as well as Rode NT2A a multi Pattern Dual 1 inch Condenser microphone Aud $ 409, at Store DJ and not to forget Mogami Gold XLR Cable 3 feet Aud $ 59.

I have asked my Contact at Store DJ to tell me more about Shure Beta 58A and Rode NT2A.

Once this is done I have to upgrade my Mixer as the Yamaha MG06X is a bit of a gimmick to be honest

ELVIS_USA

Getting older Yamaha mixer with effects I had the mg10xu and had problems with the pitch shift bleeding  into the effects if you don't care about effects look into an mg 10 it has the newest Mike preamp that Yamaha offers it's a clean mixer good mic gain I own one myself I only got it to get  the cleaner Mike pre but if you must have effects go with a separate box or with an older Yamaha with effects the pitch shift is ruining all the new Yamaha mixers to date

_RamKrish1012

I have my head phones and mic plugged into iRig Pro I/O which is plugged into my iPad and guess what every time Smule suggests I wear head phones, understandably because head phones are not plugged directly into the i Pad so Smule cannot figure out.. Funny.