Lag on Smule LiveJam

Moggy

Hi all 

I’m new to the life jam feature but although I’m loving the concept I have been having issue listening to my duet partner singing in sync with the music: they always seem to be lagging behind the music that I hear by one beat but when the video is recorded and when I listen to it retrospectively everything sounds perfectly in sync. The spectating audience also found us to be in sync but it’s just my end that doesn’t seem to cope with playing my duet partner’s voice in real time. 

I have got 4G connection in my phone and I’ve alao tried using my WiFi that has 150Mb speed, surely it can’t be my internet connection speed? 

Do you guys have similar issues and how did you resolve it? 

• 2 weeks later...
DuetWithAlli

From what I understand, the lag is unavoidable. If you are on the lead mic, there is no delay. If you are on the partner mic, there is a delay. You want to go down to the dots in the bottom left corner (I think it is?) where you can adjust your volume. Turn the host mic volume down. I usually turn it down to 20, but some people say to turn it down to 10 or even 0. This way you won’t hear the host, and you sing along with the timing of the music. It’s slightly annoying not knowing how it sounds to the audience. But if you save and listen to the recording later, yes, it will sound right on playback. 

• 3 weeks later...
Dark Glasses_John

The live jam Smule Community always complains at this daily along with drops with absolute good reason. For the amount of money VIP users pay multiplied by the amount of users it’s ridiculous that these issues can’t be fixed. I know I am wasting my time but I’m still saying it.

We don’t care about stupid filters Smule, we want in sync singing and a solid connection. If we can have talking and music in sync seems that if when we push start that the singing can be done in sync as well.

I’ve heard that Smule doesn’t use servers on live jam, that it’s stored on our phones and the servers only hold the songs, this is ok for a small company but for the amount of users Smule has this is definitely not optimal.

My other peeve is no picture on users who troll. It should be a requirement to know if it’s a kid or not. I don’t mind singing with kids who are patient in the waiting list and respectful in the audience.

At the same time maybe it’s time for Smule for kids/teens/adults. Because paying for an app that have to deal with pick me pick me and can I sing next stuff is crap.

One last thing How about a group live jam max six singers, would be awesome don’t you think Smule!?!? 

Ok rant done, will it change anything probably not..sure would be nice for feedback and results from Smule development.

• like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:21 PM, Dark Glasses_John said:

We don’t care about stupid filters Smule, we want in sync singing and a solid connection. If we can have talking and music in sync seems that if when we push start that the singing can be done in sync as well.

I agree. I think if it is going to be Live, well let it be Live with no filters or any special effects. I don’t know how the lag can be avoided, especially with singing with singers worlds apart, but maybe I am wrong. I have noticed the lag is substantially improved without any of the filters or effects, at least it seems. It’s hit and miss, too. 

• 5 months later...
RajNaveen

LOL! Guys, this is not a Smule problem. There will always be a delay in Live. It’s like talking over WhatsApp. No one can fix this.

Smule is smart enough to play the tracks earlier to the guest, so that the host can hear the voice of guest in real time. The Guest always sings earlier than host.

Edited by RajNaveen

• 1 year later...
RockMeSlowly
On 11/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, RajNaveen said:

LOL! Guys, this is not a Smule problem. There will always be a delay in Live. It’s like talking over WhatsApp. No one can fix this.

Smule is smart enough to play the tracks earlier to the guest, so that the host can hear the voice of guest in real time. The Guest always sings earlier than host.

How is this not a Smule problem?  I can jam in real-time over Zoom and harmonize with someone on WhatsApp. 

They need to change their methodology and get creative because there is no reason to sing with anyone if you can't hear them. 

• like 1