Separate the backing track volume from mic input volume

Frankieblue

šŸ¤Ā Is it possible to adjust the mic input volume separate from the backing track volume for recording? I am finding that the music is too loud for my voice once saved. I useĀ an iRig Pro i/o and my iPad 5. Many people have louder voice than music so how do they achieve it please, otherwise love this site.

opentype

You canā€™t adjust the background track.Ā You need to adjust the mic to the music. You can move the mic volume slider between -12 and +6 on the review screen. That should be enough 99% of the time.Ā 

If +6 is still too quiet, your output gain on the iRig Pro I/O is probably too small.Ā 

Frankieblue

Thank you for the speedy reply. Is the mic volume slider the green line at the bottom ofĀ the recording screen? I feed through a presonus Tube pre v2 into the iRig Pro so I should have plenty of mic volume options. Searching through other posts I think perhaps I should not use any of Smule's presets while using my setup because they can interfere with my output, can that be so?

Frankieblue

I see that you say -12 to +6 is on the review screen. I haven't seen this so when I find it I should be A-OK, Danke opentype.

_RamKrish1012

I use the iRig Pre and when my iPad volume is high when recording the recording is Ok but when I turn the iPad Volume down I have to Boost the Vocal volume after recording as suggested by Open Type sometimes have to crank it up to +6 and even then the vocal is not loud enough. Sometimes I have to lower the gain on iron Pre to eliminate noise before recording.

Would be nice if Smule standardises this so we do not have to muck around every time we record

Ram

_RamKrish1012

Open Type Can you please explain how to make use of this option I just realised was there.

When an invite has been loaded and ready for me to join and complete, I notice that at the bottom you have three icons the last of which is the speakers. When I click on that I can see two sliding options one for Vocals from 0 to 100% and the line below is Guide with 0 to 100%. I have no clue what the guide is for as when I increase the guide I hear some loud sounds. No idea how to adjust the vocals volume either..

What is strange is that I have not noticed this in the last 18 months but just now unless it is a new feature.

Please helpĀ 

Ram

Ā 

opentype

The volume slider is the monitoring slider (on iOS) for your own voice. Note that it doesnā€™t affect the final recording at all. It is just there to adjust the volume of your voice while recording.Ā 

The guide track plays the notes of the melody if available. It can help you if you donā€™t know the song very well. Personally, I never use it. I always have it at ā€œzeroā€.Ā 
Note that the quality may vary. For Smuleā€™s official songs, the guide track is perfect, but for community songbook songs, it is automatically calculated from the previous recordings of other people. The timing might be questionable and there might be missing parts.Ā 

_RamKrish1012
12 hours ago, opentype said:

The volume slider is the monitoring slider (on iOS) for your own voice. Note that it doesnā€™t affect the final recording at all. It is just there to adjust the volume of your voice while recording.Ā ļ»æ

Wow this is a great feature which I never had in my Android and failed to notice in my iPad.

I must confess that how I sing and my voice is dictated by what I hear in my head phones. This is something I cannot control with the Gain control on I Rig Pre. so I have to use the volume control on my iPad. I lower the volume on my iPad to the head phones, I am able to sing better but unfortunately in the final recording uploaded by Small my voice is weak despite using +6 on Vocals after recording. Sometimes I use the Double You (Green) to compensate. works sometimes but not always.

Id prefer a Super studio where the software locks all joiners in to match the setting used in the invite. Nine out of ten times singers do not tell you what setting they have used. Even if they do by the time you have completed the song you forget what setting was used in the invite. All this could be rationalised to make singing on Smule more enjoyable

Perhaps Open Type you can influence Smule developers as they don't bother about suggestions from singers like me

Ram

Ā 

_RamKrish1012

I have taken your advice and set the Gide at Zero permanently. However this does not appear all the time before recordings. sometimes only vocal slide appears.

Now I know Vocal slide has helped me make my voice louder in the final recording and it is making small partners say Wow.

Having said that I have set the vocal slide to 50% as I have not figured out how to get the right setting for each and every invite. I record about 10 songs a night and its been good fun after making use of this option to adjust Vocals even before starting to sing a duet.

Cheers Guru.

Ram