Which is a better interface - iRig Pro I/O or iRig Pro Duo

_RamKrish1012

I am now using an iRig Pre as an interface with my iPad. It is ok but nothing to rave about. Audio recording is clear but a bit flat in my honest opinion. I am not sure if I should get a new I Rig Pro I/O or an i Rig Pro Duo. I am leaning towards the one with an optional DC supply so I don't have to keep buying batteries or charging batteries. I am also aware that the duo has 2 channels. Look forward to comments from users with first hand experience.

Cheers

Ram

opentype

It’s basically the same device except for the number of channels. If you want to use it to record from one microphone, the Pro I/O should be enough. 

_RamKrish1012

Thank You. in my mind I assumed a mic for singing and the other for guitar or key board. Duo should allow two people to sing a duet using 2 microphones.. Am I correct in assuming I/O is Input/Output :-)

What ever I do I must look for one with a DC Powersupply. I realised as the battery was losing power recording quality went down before the battery died completely half way through a recording.

Cheers

Ram

• 1 month later...
Sips16

Ram sir! Howdy! I have just about started using the iRiG Pro I/O and am thoroughly satisfied with the results. I use a separate DC supply that helps keep my iPad Air2 charged so no worries of batteries changing or loss of audio quality due to draining batteries. 

_RamKrish1012

Fancy meeting you here. Glad you have bought the iRig Pro I/O. My iPad is permanently connected to its changer. Do you have a DC supply for your I Rig Pro I/O Interface is the question. believe it is optional.

if the Duo is the same as Pro but with an additional mic input isn't it an advantage. Can have lot more fun when family and friends want to sing and we can record using 2 microphones simultaneously..

As soon as I hear from you I am going shopping.

Unfortunately Tascam just did not work for me. Very little gain adjustments in Tascam. and it seemed to work better with my Samsung 7. I was told my iPad 2018 was very digital technology and Tascam was old  analog and hence the incompatibility.

Cheers Mate keep sending your invites

Ram

Sips16

Yes, I have the DC supply to the iRig Pro I/O which keeps the iPad charged as well. I had checked Duo too and did read a lot of comparisons- you are correct in assuming that it provides an additional mic input. I bet there was something wrong with your Tascam or the connection. I have been using Tascam IXZ all this while with my iPad Air2 without any issues.  Best wishes!

_RamKrish1012

Hi Cincinati Kid, 

Glad to note that iRig Pro power supply also powers the iPad. I did not pick this up from your original post. That is a bonus for sure.

In what way would you say iRig Pro I/O is better than I Rig Pre ? ( Maybe you did not use an iRig Pre and only Tsscam. If yes sorry).

Is iRig Pro I/O much better than the Tascam from sound quality point of view?

As for Tascam There is not much I can do wrong with my connections. Plug the head phone and Mix with XLR cable to Tascam which plugs into iPad.

I will record half a song with Tascam and the second half with iRig pre using the same iPad, Head Phone and Mic so you can see the difference in quality. Ill send it to you as a Smule message

One thing I don't use which you do is a Condenser Microphone, which I will get when I get the iRig Pro I/O

Cheers

Ram

opentype
10 minutes ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

In what way would you say iRig Pro I/O is better than I Rig Pre ?

The sound quality is significantly better. the Pre is a cheap, analog device — the Pro I/O is a fully digital device with a much better AD converter. 

_RamKrish1012

Thanks Guru. This is now on my shopping list. Never used a Condenser phone with a puff filter before for Smule. There are soo many available that it is mind boggling and unsure which to pick. Do I go by Brand Name like Bose, Senheisser, Sony, Rode etc or by Price in Dollars

All suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated

Lets say Price not an issue now :-))

Ram

_RamKrish1012
40 minutes ago, opentype said:

The sound quality is significantly better. the Pre is a cheap, analog device — the Pro I/O is a fully digital device with a much better AD converter. 

The sales man at DJ Warehouse bluffed me. he told me the Tascam ( he did not have stock) was an old analog device and that iRig pre was digital and Have believed this to be true until I read your note.

I can now understand why iRig Pro will be significantly better.

Guru, You have a wealth of knowledge and have been a been great support thastnk you for that.

Now I have a Roland Go Mixer, a Yamaha MG06x, a Tascam iXZ and an I Rig Pre that are of no use to me any more :-(

Sips16

Ram Sir, 

I see you already got your answer on the difference..and just to clarify- I never used the Pre. I was referring to the difference between Tascam and iRig Pro I/O while knowing that Pro I/O would still beat the Pre in quality. For condenser mic- I use  Behringer B1 Large diaphragm Condenser mic. 

_RamKrish1012
19 hours ago, Sips16 said:

Ram Sir, 

I see you already got your answer on the difference..and just to clarify- I never used the Pre. I was referring to the difference between Tascam and iRig Pro I/O while knowing that Pro I/O would still beat the Pre in quality. For condenser mic- I use  Behringer B1 Large diaphragm Condenser mic. 

Thanks Mate

_RamKrish1012

I exchanged thoughts on iRig Pre and Pro on You tube and the lady tells me if you were not happy with an iRig Pre then I rig Pro is no different sound quality wise. The only advantage is its portability. You take your head phone your Mic and Mob phone and I Rig and you can record on your phone anywhere. The advice was also not to spend big on Condenser microphones unless I have a real music studio for recording as Condenser mics are highly sensitive and pick up air conditioning and fan noise pets and traffic even if the ear does not pick it up. she recommends a higher end Dynamic Mic. Makes a lot of sense. She is leaning on Focusrite which she believes is fantastic plus a professional mixer...

Have to make sure Focusrite is compatible with Smule app as step one

Ram

opentype
4 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

iRig Pre then I rig Pro is no different sound quality wise.

Well, I have both and I disagree. 😉 

4 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

as Condenser mics are highly sensitive and pick up air conditioning and fan noise pets and traffic even if the ear does not pick it up.

That’s somewhat true, but a vocal condenser mic doesn’t necessarily pic up sound from all directions equally and Smule also has a built in noise gate to reduce background noise when no one is singing. 

In the end, the general problem with Smule and mics is that there is no equalizer to modify the mic sound. You have to be happy with the raw sound of the mic. And that sound can vary greatly between microphones. 

I specifically chose a Smule mic which I knew had a rather warm sound for a condenser:

There is a demo song from me on that page. 

_RamKrish1012

OK Guru since you have both I Rig Pre and Pro I take your word for it. Now do you think Focusrite is better than iRig Pro. Portability is not an issue as I have the iRig Pre to take with me when I travel. Is Focus rite at about $650 better and more versatile that I Rig Pro? Plus I am told I can use proper mixers with Focusrite.

I was looking at the huge range of Condenser Microphones and it has been mind boggling Never gave Rode Mic much of a thought. These are made in Sydney about ten kilometres Fromm my house and I see the Rode Vans on the road all the time.

The Rode M2 costs about $ 150 same as my current AKG Cardiod D5. I prefer the Old Golden Sony F-V420 I have owned for 20 years

At the end of the day I see your point the Smile software edits and processes all uploads with one common program. Often the recording sounds great before I upload and sounds crappy after it gets uploaded. Not much can be done about this I suppose

This has been an amazing journey and each and every day I am learning more and more and will get  it working right eventually.

I remember early in the piece another gentleman recommended Focusrite for Smule too in this Forum.

Cheers

Ram

opentype

Focusrite is a brand name. The company has lots of products. So I am not sure which one you are talking about. 

The crucial aspect with audio interfaces for Smule is the audio backchannel. The main purpose of the audio interface is the input and there is usually direct monitoring from the input (e.g. the microphone), but with Smule you need to hear the background track from the mobile device. You need a two-way transmission of the audio signals. Not every audio interface has that. The iRig Pro I/O does and the monitoring has very good quality too. 

• confused 1

_RamKrish1012
1 hour ago, opentype said:

Focusrite is a brand name. The company has lots of products. So I am not sure which one you are talking about. 

The crucial aspect with audio interfaces for Smule is the audio backchannel. The main purpose of the audio interface is the input and there is usually direct monitoring from the input (e.g. the microphone), but with Smule you need to hear the background track from the mobile device. You need a two-way transmission of the audio signals. Not every audio interface has that. The iRig Pro I/O does and the monitoring has very good quality too. 

Aye Aye Sir. You are the resident expert on Smule and you know better. I accept your verdict. will buy one tomorrow. the iRig Pro I/O and I Rig Pro Duo are about the same price. Does the duo have everything the I/O has including optional DC charger..? Thanks again.

Ram

opentype

I can’t speak about the DUO. Haven’t tested it myself. I am not sure how it handles the two channels for example when run with Smule. Will it be mono centered with only one mic plugged in? Will it be hard left and hard right with two mics plugged in or can that be adjusted somehow? Someone who has one would need to answer that. 

_RamKrish1012

Thanks. Duo would be great to connect a guitar or key board, or two people singing. But as you have pointed out can't be sure until we test the unit. Let me see if they will hire both to me for a week as they do hire sometimes especially open boxes that are demos.

Thanks again

Ram

Sips16

I didn't buy duo just for that reason- wasn't sure if it'd work. Please share what you find! Thanks sir. 

_RamKrish1012

Me: Hi Deb, I bought a Tascam iXz and later an iRig Pre as an interface for singing on Smule. Both work Work but the quality of recording is not worth talking about. Now can you PLEASE tell me whether I should buy the i Rig Pro I/O or the I Rig Pro Duo. I don't like Batteries and want its own power supply. I use an I Pad 6th Gen 32GB and also a Brand new I Mac Pro. Currently I am using dynamic microphones and need to upgrade to a quality Condenser Microphone too. I am a Senior Citizen having some fun in Retirement and also looking for lessons on Garage Band. Look Forward to your response. Cheers. Ram - Sydney Australia.

Deb: "If you didn’t like the iRig Pre you won’t like the Pro. This is for anyone looking for something incredibly portable. The sound is not great but OK as I’ve found with the iRig products. Great for getting down quick ideas or using with an ipad for performing, but batteries were a pain. No warning when batteries get low the unit just starts popping, like the settings are off. If you are looking for quality and sound, this is not it. This is portable, works and inexpensive. Any of these small, portable units are going to have inferior sound as compared to a small DAW like FocusRite or Zoom. Both offer small recording units that can be used like the iRig Duo and, in my opinion, are leaps and bounds better in sound quality. The Zoom Tac-2 is portable, same price, very portable https://amzn.to/2VvGmRt and the sound is substantially better though not on par with the Apogee (sounds great but i had a lot of trouble with first generation Duet) or Apollo Twin, but its a huge jump in price.

Also in regards to thinking you need a condenser mic; condenser mics are great IF YOU HAVE A SOUND PROOF area to record. They pic up everything. I have a few and can only use them very late at night, when no cars, people, pets are around. I end up using my dynamic mics for home recording. Think you’d be better off getting a higher grade dynamic mic. While the Rodes NT1 has superior sound it also picks up all the unwanted sound of a/c, people moving around, pets, automobiles, etc... I use an Audix OM2 and Shure SM57 as they reject sound except in front of the mic. Looking to upgrade my dynamic mics. Top pick is the Shure SM7b (I don’t have $400 for a mic) and the Electro Voice RE320 https://amzn.to/2GO9uK6 I see all these recording musicians telling home studio musicians that THEY HAVE TO HAVE A CONDENSER MIC. No, you don’t.

Love Garageband, especially on iPad. I started with Garageband before moving to Logic Pro x. I’ve tried so many other DAW software programs and always prefer Logic. Sounds like you and I have very similar circumstances and interests. if I can be of any assistance please email. Take care and keep on rockin.

Me: Thank you Deb for your prompt response. I am currently using iRig Pre with my Sony Dynamic Mic as well as AKG D5 and my ATH M50x Head phones. Yes in I Rig Pre the battery can fail half way through the recording and can be irritating. I use rechargeable ones and have one charged and on stand by always. Portability is not an issue plus I have the iRig Pre to take with me in any case if I am travelling.  I use my Study which is well insulated from external noise. with my dynamic mic the fan noise and my inhaling quickly to keep pace with songs is an issue. I have wasted money on a Roland Go Pro Mixer, a Yamaha MG 06x, a Tascam iXZ and a I Rig Pre. Lets say I won't buy a condenser mic now. Which desk top interface do you reckon produces best quality recording of vocals on iPad and Apple Mac Pro ? Appreciate your recommendation of an interface that will work with iPad as well as the Mac Pro.

Cheers. Ram.

DEb: I REALLY LIKE MY FOCUSRITE SCARLETT. got it over a year ago and it has done everything I've ever tried to do with it and then some. Focusrite has very reliable stable equipment. you can also use a regular mixer to get better results than the items your using now. If money is not an object the REM units are really nice. If your on budget, like me, I'd look at the Focurite and Zoom stuff. I have tried many things under the $800 range in all aspects of making music. I just purchased a Soundcraft Notepad that is turning out to be a good purchase does 4 track recording fairly well and is a really nice mixer. Using a Mac I whole heartedly recommend Focusrite.

There is an internet channel that does a lot of recording with Focusrite and Garageband that you may get quite a bit from https://www.youtube.com/user/GaragebandandBeyond his older stuff is better because within the last few years he promotes sales more. but still solid advice.  

Me: Deb, Have not heard from You. Can you please tell me

1 - if the two iRig Pro XLR Inputs are Mono or Stereo 

2 - Have you used the iRig Pro Duo with Smule App for Mob Phones

3 - Does Focusrite Scarlet 1818 work on Smule ?

Deb: Ram Krishnaswamy the iRig pro can be setup as mono or stereo in software. You can use both inputs individually as 2 mono or both inputs as 1 stereo. I’ve never used SMULE. Deb.

Swapnil, I am not rushing off to buy a Focusrite Scarlet as it may not work on Smule or an I Rig Pro Duo as Planned.

Have to do some more investigation. Have to learn more about DAW and Garage Band as a first step.

For the first time in 12 months I did not sing last night. Taking a break and trying to learn to use the Garage Band. If you are already using the Garage band perhaps you can give me some tips.

Cheers

Ram

uknowthe1
On 5/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, opentype said:

@opentype I just got the iRig Pro i/o. I'm running it on a Samsung Note 8 with the latest software. I am getting levels into Smule through my Sennheiser e835 mic and I'm hearing the track play through my Sennheiser headphones. 

Here's the problem: I'm not getting any audio monitoring into my headphones! I'm at wit's end!!!! Please help!