Voice Special Effects

I had a singer to message me and tell me I should turn up the reverb when I sing. She was very polite, but she told me I would sound better. I saw she had her reverb in her captions at 40 in Super Studio. She is probably right, but I want more of my natural voice to be heard. The max reverb I have ever used is 30, but most of the time I use 20-25. There are times I open ā€œnatural voice challengesā€ so I can hear other singers with their raw voices, and I use 0 reverb in SS or none in settings. How do other users feel? And what amount of reverb do you use on average when you sing?Ā 

opentype

It certainly makes sense to use similar settings when joining, independent from personal preference. After all, the reverb simulates different environments and the singers should be placed in the same environment or it sounds very unnatural.Ā 

My default is something like SS 22/40 with the second optionally raised for something like a slow piano ballad.Ā 

• like 3

I, too, think it makes sense or should to match effects if possible (not all users provide the info), but I thought she meant I should change my reverb not just to match her reverb but to raise it as my default reverb. IĀ may have misunderstood.

You stated not using similar reverbs would make the song/duet sound unnatural, which is probably true, but I cannot stand the way I sound when my reverb is turned higher than 30.Ā To me, my voice sounds very unnatural, and especially if I raise the room size past 20-25 as well.Ā Raising the room sizeĀ sounds echoey, unless I use 0 reverb in Super StudioĀ then it helps with volume to raise it.

I definitely do not think I have a great natural sounding voice, but I feel as if I am a fraud if I use too much reverb.Ā šŸ˜‚ Thatā€™s when I remind myself it is just an app to me. And I am not trying to degrade anyone who uses the app for serious singing with my comment. šŸ˜Š

Thank you!Ā 

Ā 

Sam_maile

Boy can I understand this topic. One of the first groups I was ever in advised me that the ā€œsweet spotā€ setting was SS 15/25 with your volume turned wayĀ down to at least -7.0 or more likely -9.0Ā (Iā€™d struggled greatly with finding something I like prior to that) Iā€™m very happy with those settings most of the time depending on the style song Iā€™m singing. Occasionally I go to 20/30.Ā I love singing on polish or SF opera too, though I like playing with spotlight now that its working again (but I donā€™t record it with that setting on since it seems like it lags...idk it throws me off tho šŸ˜‚)Ā When I join a duet tho and canā€™t make sense of what their using Iā€™ve been just defaulting to indie lately because it will usually match up better than if I leftĀ it on my own preferences. Or even the default studio sometimes. However since I donā€™t do a lot of videos but join a lot Iā€™ve noticed Iā€™m not able to just turn down my volume the same every time; I hadĀ been doing that without reviewing or listeningĀ prior to saving Ā and laterĀ realized you can barely hear meĀ šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø I donā€™t believe you need to match up settings completely but I do totally agree it doesntĀ sound as nice if you donā€™t attempt to blend the two voices to something similar. I also love nofx challenges šŸ˜Ā https://www.smule.com/p/1753961183_2764080694

I wish we could apply an effect to one portion of the song and another to a different part. I kinda hate grunge fx right nowĀ Ā but would play with it more if I could pick and choose when and where it was used

• 3 months later...
kopicat

I use very little. My favourite is SS (Super Studio) with reverb at 10 and room at 10. Sometimes I might increase it to 15, depending on the people whom I joined. I have also used quite a bit of Polish and at times, None. I prefer raw voice :P

• love it! 1

• 3 weeks later...
ELVIS_USA
On 2/23/2019 at 9:42 PM, SweetMel_ said:

I had a singer to message me and tell me I should turn up the reverb when I sing. She was very polite, but she told me I would sound better. I saw she had her reverb in her captions at 40 in Super Studio. She is probably right, but I want more of my natural voice to be heard. The max reverb I have ever used is 30, but most of the time I use 20-25. There are times I open ā€œnatural voice challengesā€ so I can hear other singers with their raw voices, and I use 0 reverb in SS or none in settings. How do other users feel? And what amount of reverb do you use on average when you sing?Ā 

Ā try to match your Echo to sound Ā like the originalĀ Ā 

_GJAM_
On 2/24/2019 at 12:17 AM, opentype said:

It certainly makes sense to use similar settings when joining, independent from personal preference. After all, the reverb simulates different environments and the singers should be placed in the same environment or it sounds very unnatural.Ā 

My default is something like SS 22/40 with the second optionally raised for something like a slow piano ballad.Ā 

Ā 

Actually no disrespect but intended but it makes absolutely no sense to post your setting and expect them to match.Ā  The singers would have to have same vocal loudness same type voice same phone same headphonesĀ  to natterĀ  no two people sound the same and on SS every time u push it your sound changes without doing anythingĀ  Ā vocal volume adjustments, irig adjustments mixers sliders gains, reverb increases volume and so many other variables u have to do it the old fashioned way get it where YOU want it and make it close to the same in the endĀ  post recording !

Ā 

• like 2

_GJAM_
On 6/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, kopicat said:

I use very little. My favourite is SS (Super Studio) with reverb at 10 and room at 10. Sometimes I might increase it to 15, depending on the people whom I joined. I have also used quite a bit of Polish and at times, None. I prefer raw voice :P

imo the best singing sound is two layers first layer light ss small room littlemore reverb, second layer lower volume sang to match as a second perfect voice on polish just a hair below but feeling equal o that of two diff voices side by sideĀ  sounds so amazing

Ā 

• like 1

ELVIS_USA

My echo I useĀ  is only as much as the original cut calls forĀ Ā sometimes it's more sometimes it's less

ELVIS_USA

Its time for all of you to think OUTSIDE THE BOX. as I have don't just count on smule effects try BOSSĀ vocal effects try HT HELICON EFFECTS BOXES I started with šŸŽ earbuds then went to karaoke blue tooth microphone. Then I was told about IRIG MIC PRE BUT I wanted more control on my vocals so I added a YAMAHA MG82CX MIXER then added a HT HELICON MIC MICANIC NOW I want harmoney so now imĀ replacing the mic micanic with my BOSS-VE20 VOCAL PROSSESOR what's next onlyĀ TIME WILL TELL šŸ‘

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Added

ELVIS_USA

All the gear that I'm talking about I've had in my studio where I would sing on SingSnap but now this is my home I love that with the iRig mic pre I can hook up all the equipment I used when I sing on SingSnap and give my fans a awesome listening experience that will go Way Beyond the effects Smule offers....

ELVIS_USA

The one thing I miss onĀ singsnap you can go back to your recording after it's completed and make adjustments if vocals sound toĀ low or you're not comfortable with the mix and then press save on Smule you cannotšŸ˜ž Smule you need to incorporate this feature in your future versions not all of us get it perfect the first time....lol and that includes amateurs and Pros...lol

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Typo

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2019 at 1:30 AM, _GJAM_ said:

Ā 

Actually no disrespect but intended but it makes absolutely no sense to post your setting and expect them to match.Ā  The singers would have to have same vocal loudness same type voice same phone same headphonesĀ  to natterĀ  no two people sound the same and on SS every time u push it your sound changes without doing anythingĀ  Ā vocal volume adjustments, irig adjustments mixers sliders gains, reverb increases volume and so many other variables u have to do it the old fashioned way get it where YOU want it and make it close to the same in the endĀ  post recording !

Ā 

I agree with you. Once upon a timeĀ I tried matching and for all the variables you mentioned, the sound doesnā€™t match. If usersĀ wantĀ to invest the time for a little trial and errorĀ Ā it might be possible. I do it the ā€œold fashion wayā€ tooā€”post recording and hope for the best.

Edited by Guest
Typo, Baby, Typo

ELVIS_USA

That's why I would like Smule to add a key changer to its software and a level meter do you not agree?

• clever! 1

opentype
27 minutes ago, ELVIS_USA said:

ā€¦ to add a key changer

My suggestion would be that the official Smule uploads are recorded in 3 keys (lower/normal/higher). Automatic pitch changeĀ sounds so terrible, I donā€™t really want that.Ā 

27 minutes ago, ELVIS_USA said:

ā€¦ and a level meterĀ 

Well, they could add tons of pro options and turn the app into a versatile mixing studio, but I think it justĀ collides with their goal of reaching millions of singers. Every single feature that already exists confuses at least some people and leads to problems. Every additional feature makes that worse, even though some power users might benefit from it. Simplicity is part of the success. Just hit join and sing with millions of people around the world. Thatā€™s a very different goal than perfect mixing and level matching and so on.Ā 

• like 1

ELVIS_USA

Ā at least we won't be in the dark it's a pain going up and down the scale trying to match someone up try it sometime if people give you their settingsĀ  then it's up to you match the audio to get the best mix possible

ELVIS_USA

Ā I have found with a mixer you can listen to that person on the left or right Channel and adjust accordingly to get the best mix possible don't get me wrongĀ  earbuds have their place in a pinch when you're away from the house or in the car but they will not replace a mixer with effects a iRig mic pre and a professional condenser mic or dynamic mic

ELVIS_USA

Ā I would use 23/23Ā  I heard a person who sounded awesome with this setting so now I use it to record with and when the recording is completed add more or less Echo it's an acquired taste...lol

ELVIS_USA

remember there can never be too little or too much Echo the industry standard is usually one orĀ two bounce depends on the type of echo that isĀ used. The rule of thumb is your vocals should never overlapĀ Ā using Echo

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Change

• 2 weeks later...
kopicat
On 7/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, _GJAM_ said:

imo the best singing sound is two layers first layer light ss small room littlemore reverb, second layer lower volume sang to match as a second perfect voice on polish just a hair below but feeling equal o that of two diff voices side by sideĀ  sounds so amazing

Ā 

I have since switched to SS 15/10 :D

• love it! 1

ELVIS_USA

Ā if I want to sing in the car now I now use my iRig mic pre a 6-foot Mogami gold microphone cable and the headphones of my choice

ELVIS_USA

Ā I do use the Smule effects when recording this way it results in a much more professional sound and useĀ settings 23/23

• 7 months later...
Skal71

I try as much as possible to match the other person's settings and voice volume.
The default Studio setting have too much reverb on it. It produces also a lot of hiss sounds, especially with sss or fff components of the voice. It is a problem that Red Karaoke was exempt. Red Karaoke had a lot of problems, but their sound effects settings were, in my opinion, far better.
My favourite setting is Super studio 20/30. Sometimes less, like 10/20. For certain songs, for example oldies, who need more reverb, I can push up to 30/50, 40/60. But then you have to be careful not adding any parasite noise in the recording.
Feel free to experiment with extremes, likeĀ  75/15 or 15/75. I also sometimes use or try Hype, Polish, Indie, Double you (when echo effect is needed, but the setings of the effect are too extreme). I find Magic, pop star and star dust very bad.