Vocal effects (Spotlight gone?)

Sam_maile

Hey; just curious if anyone had any knowledge into the sudden addition and then disappearance of the SPOTLIGHT FX on smule right around New Years. I think I had joined several OCs with it but it was gone before i really had a chance to play with it. 

Additional question on the topic of vocal effects was if someone could break down to me why joining videos on voice only drastically changes the recording volume or why recording without a vocal filter and applying it during editing also seems to mess with the volume significantly. I sometimes like to record in polish to hear myself better (I only sing with one earbud in most of the time) but if I wanna add a bit of reverb later and switch it to super studio I noticed a volume drop (and it’s not an issue oddly if I switch a recording from SS to Polish) 

lastly, I’m super infatuated with SF opera but find very few practical applications for it and was hoping if others had thoughts specifically on that setting how to best use it. 

Thanks for any input regarding all this. 

opentype
1 hour ago, Sam_maile said:

Additional question on the topic of vocal effects was if someone could break down to me why joining videos on voice only drastically changes the recording volume or why recording without a vocal filter and applying it during editing also seems to mess with the volume significantly. I sometimes like to record in polish to hear myself better (I only sing with one earbud in most of the time) but if I wanna add a bit of reverb later and switch it to super studio I noticed a volume drop 

Well, it’s the point of those filters to change the sound, so you will get a different result when switching between them. For example, a part of those filters is audio compression, which significantly influences volume. Reverb also influences the volume somewhat, since the voice gets virtually moved away in the room. 

I wouldn’t worry about that. The perfect volume needs to be set individually for each collab anyway. 

1 hour ago, Sam_maile said:

lastly, I’m super infatuated with SF opera but find very few practical applications for it and was hoping if others had thoughts specifically on that setting how to best use it. 

Yeah, the background story is interesting, but there is little use for this filter. 

JPMod
On 2/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, opentype said:

, a part of those filters is audio compression, which significantly influences volume.

A bestial audio compression....So much that it does not allow performing with external FX processors. This attenuate all with principal mic signal voice and makes sound over canned.