Using Shure MV51 with Smule on iOS devices

Patrick

Hello!

Does it Shure MV51 condenser microphone works to sing with Smule on iOS devices (iPhone; iPad)? By using the lightning connection?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
Patrick

Hello!

I bought a Shure MV51 condenser microphone to sing and record instrumental. The mic is great, using the ShurePlus MOTIV app is possible to customize and equalize highs and lows and get a professional sound quality by using the existing five DSP preset for recording. Till here all is great!

However, when using the Smule app (iOS devices), the mic’s sound gets so much condensed, resulting in a different quality of the output not so good. Basically the sound is muffled (a lot) and loses reverberation (even using flat mode from the mic). In Smule, I’ve tried to use all available filters by changing the parameters and I had no success because they don’t provide “advanced” options of equalization.

Unfortunately, I’m really disappointed with this situation (Smule X Shure MV51) and I have a couple of questions:

1- Can you help me in order to try getting a great sound quality using Smule app (iOS devices) with Shure MV51?

2- Which are the options to cover/improve this? And how?

If you have assumptions or insights, please share here.

Thanks in advance for your support.

opentype

Yeah, that’s the way it is. Smule only takes the raw input and applies the Smule filters. There are no advanced options or an equalizer. You can play with the hardware options on the mic and the Smule filters, but that’s it. 

JPMod
On 2/6/2019 at 5:31 PM, Patrick said:

Hello!

I bought a Shure MV51 condenser microphone to sing and record instrumental. The mic is great, using the ShurePlus MOTIV app is possible to customize and equalize highs and lows and get a professional sound quality by using the existing five DSP preset for recording. Till here all is great!

However, when using the Smule app (iOS devices), the mic’s sound gets so much condensed, resulting in a different quality of the output not so good. Basically the sound is muffled (a lot) and loses reverberation (even using flat mode from the mic). In Smule, I’ve tried to use all available filters by changing the parameters and I had no success because they don’t provide “advanced” options of equalization.

Unfortunately, I’m really disappointed with this situation (Smule X Shure MV51) and I have a couple of questions:

1- Can you help me in order to try getting a great sound quality using Smule app (iOS devices) with Shure MV51?

2- Which are the options to cover/improve this? And how?

If you have assumptions or insights, please share here.

Thanks in advance for your support.

How do you connect the micro to Smule?
That is an important question.

After this the most important thing to know is your MV51 front panel control it's just a direct control to SHUREPLUS™ MOTIV™ MOBILE RECORDING APP options, not to control external apps options like Smule. 
Through MicroUSB-Lightning adaptor you can use the mic in Smule app for iOs, but just like as an other general mic.

If you want to use external FX off Smule you need to insert a mic signal through an external FX processors plugged (or something else plugged ...) to an audio interface with Apple Lightning > USB camera adaptor just in MIC dedicated input, normally number 1.

For some reason Smule app just accept LineIN 1 mic dedicated in mono, not stereo from two channels on interfaces. And there's something more: for an "strange reasons" Smule will filter external FX and take the mic signal line direct. External FX won't run so well in Smule... ,-)

• like 1

Patrick

Thank you so much for your information @JaumeMod! It helps a lot!

Answering your important question, I’m connecting the mic to Smule by using two options supported by MV51:

1- MicroUSB-lightning (not so good)

2- MicroUSB-USB (for this one I’m using the “Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter” - this option gives more power to mic and I got better results while charging the device at same time)

I’m not using any audio interface to go through Smule. Days ago, I was wondering about mixers... but in fact, as you mentioned, I’m using the mic as an other general mic.

Could you please inform me which audio/fx interface models should I pick up to support lighting/usb mics? How to set up? Most of them convert from analog (XLR) to digital signal.

Let me know if I’m missing something here please. I really appreciate your support!

JPMod
19 hours ago, JaumeMod said:

And there's something more: for an "strange reasons" Smule will filter external FX and take the mic signal line direct. External FX won't run so well in Smule... ,-)

I use my old AKAI S1100 from my personal studio...but there's a lot stuff to use...soundcardas....cheap fx processors, guitar pedals or guitar multiFx...