The Smule Dream

Paola

Smule is a company that listens to its community, and I like doing this every now and then, because we can bring ideas to them to see what can be enhanced... so at this moment...

What are the things -that if this was the perfect app for you- you would like to have or maybe NOT have?

• like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I like the app or I would not still be using it. 😊

As thrilled as I was that the chat feature was added, I now find it annoying. I first was so happy to be able to communicate with my Smule friends around the world without having to go to another chat app, but now I discovered many users are using it to gossip, bully, and ridicule others behind the Smule scene. A user invited me to a group in honor of his deceased child, and I was appalled at the conversations and the behavior of the users in that group. I was even bumped from the group after one day, and I had done nothing. Thankful for that bump! 🙏 And these were not young folks, either. Old enough to know better. So I do not join permanent chat groups any longer, only temporary ones for birthday joins, then I leave immediately. 

Love the Live Jams! Such a great addition! We get to kind of see more of the real deal. 

Other than the gossips, bullies, and people trying to turn it into a date site, I enjoy the app. But I do screen people I sing with and keep my circle very small. The users I sing and interact with bring no drama. They are on the app to sing! 😊

Edited by Guest
wording

• 4 weeks later...
o_A_C_o

Smule has become part of my life. Without it would be unimaginable.Smule is my medicine and my friends around the world that I got through this app. I'm just thankful. Meanwhile my friends call me Mrs. SmuleInfluencer LOL 

Ashpookie

Hi, good question.

I have two particular needs on Smule that would help a lot:

1. 2 Step Authentification for Login Security

2. People should be able to upload a Freestyle with a blank video option. Currently, only audio OC can be created.

~ Ashkej

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest scrapfree
On 12/8/2018 at 12:17 AM, Paola said:

Smule is a company that listens to its community, and I like doing this every now and then, because we can bring ideas to them to see what can be enhanced... so at this moment...

What are the things -that if this was the perfect app for you- you would like to have or maybe NOT have?

I think Smule’s functionality is outstanding. I think its curation of content is abysmal and infuriating.

Same people/influencers are featured constantly. Trending lists are full of content from years ago and people who haven’t been active in years. The same cliques of groups get maximum exposure. There’s no recognition or acknowledgment of freestyles or original songwriting content. And let’s be honest, if you’re young and good looking, you’ll get pushed to the front . I also think that the likes and comments on partner artists’ songs are totally fabricated, as I’ve seen them jump 1000s of views in seconds.

There is no app which has captured my attention or time like Smule, but increasingly I’ve grown so frustrated. I’ve followed all the etiquette, I’ve over 24000 recordings. And yet I can hardly ever manage more than 10 likes for my open duets, and the people I join seldom acknowledge me. I feel like I have to ‘earn’ every single join, and yet I enjoy singing on Smule so much. It’s an unusual contradiction in my head! But I’m nearly at the point of going cold turkey.

Scrapfree,

Simple, kind suggestion: Your comment is 100% accurate, but  you’re taking the app too seriously, and you’re not the only one. Just the title of this thread is misleading. People start getting “dreams” in their head because of this app, and it creates unrealistic expectations. The app should be for users to enjoy themselves, nothing less, nothing more. Who cares who gets highlighted? Do you think it’s going to get them anywhere? I haven’t heard of the first person getting famous or succeeding  from this app. However, I think the app is an excellent platform for practice for users who may want a future singing career, but they have to move outside of the app—fact! Just enjoy the users who take the time to join you. Forget numbers and sing and be mindful of people, which I am sure you are. I hope you don’t find my reply rude, not my intention. 

Edited by Guest
typo

Guest scrapfree
8 hours ago, PeacefulJoin said:

Scrapfree,

Simple, kind suggestion: Your comment is 100% accurate, but  you’re taking the app too seriously, and you’re not the only one. Just the title of this thread is misleading. People start getting “dreams” in their head because of this app, and it creates unrealistic expectations. The app should be for users to enjoy themselves, nothing less, nothing more. Who cares who gets highlighted? Do you think it’s going to get them anywhere? I haven’t heard of the first person getting famous or succeeding  from this app. However, I think the app is an excellent platform for practice for users who may want a future singing career, but they have to move outside of the app—fact! Just enjoy the users who take the time to join you. Forget numbers and sing and be mindful of people, which I am sure you are. I hope you don’t find my reply rude, not my intention. 

I think you’re absolutely correct! And I know I’m taking Smule too seriously. But the question was about what could Smule do to improve. And I was just voicing my thoughts and concerns.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:58 AM, scrapfree said:

I’ve followed all the etiquette, I’ve over 24000 recordings. And yet I can hardly ever manage more than 10 likes for my open duets, and the people I join seldom acknowledge me. 

I understand how you feel. I find it rude not to acknowledge joins since people took a few minutes of their time to join a song.

6 hours ago, lowvocalset said:

I understand how you feel. I find it rude not to acknowledge joins since people took a few minutes of their time to join a song.

You can’t improve  “rude” people. Just join another user or sing solo. Remember you’re singing for you, and you pay the Smule bill. Use it the way you want, as they do. Some users may not realize they’re being rude. They may open up too many songs and cannot  handle the joins or open up a very popular song. I had a young family member to join Smule for a very short spell and opened a song and got over 400 joins for one song in less than a week from the time she joined. We freaked out. 😂😂 We’re not rude, but I had to help her respond and we had to blind love on many that one occasion. (God, forgive us.)  And users may be busy. I have a good friend who opens up a couple of songs and gets tons of joins but doesn’t log back into the app for months. Of course there are users who know they can’t respond and don’t seem to want to respond but still open up too many songs. I have a personal opinion about those types... Sing for your own pleasure and enjoy 🤗 

Edited by Guest
Add more info

chrisfcleary

A little over 8 months ago I found this app, no I wasn't living under a stone lol, but it was without doubt the best thing ever, I have encountered every emotion possible, through listening joining and creating, and I would not change one thing. I would love to have more time to join more collabs, or even open more OC's but I can only seem to manage one at a time. My next step is to man up and start doing video lol, but that's another day. 

Edited by chrisfcleary
  • haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Mrs_Trish

Smule wish list?

the ability to go back and edit after saving 

the ability to rewind in video joins

i would really have fun with crazy video filters...like...why can’t I be a singing potato? 

Idk. I’m a bit unhinged 😂 

• like 2
  • love it! 1
  • haha 1

ELVIS_USA

As I've been on Smule for less than a year the things that I have found is no editing capabilities  when you're done with your recording to match it better as on another site I sing on there is no microphone level to keep you from distorting or over driving I would like to see a key changer for those who may need it and I'm hoping in the future that we get backgrounds like a city background a country background as wile were singing these things will bring more singers to Smule what do y'all think?

Edited by ELVIS_USA
More
  • like 1

Paola
On 8/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, scrapfree said:

I think Smule’s functionality is outstanding. I think its curation of content is abysmal and infuriating.

Same people/influencers are featured constantly. Trending lists are full of content from years ago and people who haven’t been active in years. The same cliques of groups get maximum exposure. There’s no recognition or acknowledgment of freestyles or original songwriting content. And let’s be honest, if you’re young and good looking, you’ll get pushed to the front . I also think that the likes and comments on partner artists’ songs are totally fabricated, as I’ve seen them jump 1000s of views in seconds.

There is no app which has captured my attention or time like Smule, but increasingly I’ve grown so frustrated. I’ve followed all the etiquette, I’ve over 24000 recordings. And yet I can hardly ever manage more than 10 likes for my open duets, and the people I join seldom acknowledge me. I feel like I have to ‘earn’ every single join, and yet I enjoy singing on Smule so much. It’s an unusual contradiction in my head! But I’m nearly at the point of going cold turkey.

I can see where you come from. At the end of the day we should enjoy our time in Smule and these things should not discourage you, but I understand completely. Even though I have never had the desire to have myself be featured, or get more engagement on the app (I'm more of a behind the scenes kind of person in the app) I do grow frustrated for knowing so many talented people that are not given the same exposure. This has been a constant conversation in the community. 

If alternate outlets would be supported more just like this page, or other social media pages, where they also expose great talent I think this would work. But sadly, most people just appreciate it when it comes from the company directly, and they are not inside our community that much to get to know everyone, and every hashtag they use gets overcrowded with performances that either have nothing to do with what they're looking for, or is just spam basically. So they go around and see those who know how to promote themselves best, and catch their attention. 

It's not great for everyone equally, but like I said, we should all be enjoying the app for the love of singing more than anything. 

Edited by Paola

Paola
On 8/10/2019 at 8:15 AM, chrisfcleary said:

A little over 8 months ago I found this app, no I wasn't living under a stone lol, but it was without doubt the best thing ever, I have encountered every emotion possible, through listening joining and creating, and I would not change one thing. I would love to have more time to join more collabs, or even open more OC's but I can only seem to manage one at a time. My next step is to man up and start doing video lol, but that's another day. 

There's a little trick to that haha we call it time travelling. Changing the time of your phone.

• like 2