Sharing Smule recordings and copyrights

Alina

Hi,

As a new Smule fan and member in this community ( so glad to have found this ) I need to ask for advise :

Can I post my recordings to Soundcloud or Youtube without violating any copyrights  ?

Edited by Alina
  • like 1

opentype

Most simple answer: only if you wrote the song yourself. 

In reality it is a little bit more complex. Firstly, it depends on whether it’s an official Smule song or a community songbook song. For the first category, there were certain rights negotiated between Smule and the owners of the intellectual property. Songs in the community songbook might be copyright violations themselves and singing over it doesn’t make it better. 

And it depends on the specific platform what happens when copyright violations are reported or automatically detected. YouTube can detect the owner and move the monetization over to the owners of the intellectual property. That might be it. But there is also a nasty copyright strike system that could threaten the existence of a channel. Facebook has a contract with the Universal Music Group. Songs belonging to them can be used without problems. Songs from other labels might be deactivated or muted. Continued copyright violations can lead to the deletion of a Facebook account. And so on and so forth. As you see, it’s complicated. 

By the way: You can freely post your songs here (by pasting the song URL), since they are never republished, only embedded. 😉  

• like 1
  • thank you! 1

Alina

Thank you, that was really helpful information and well explained. Now I have to find those Smule songs...:)

Will post my recordings. Is the stage the place to post, or somewhere else I don´t know of yet ? Have to learn more about this terrific place.

All the best ! :)

• 2 months later...
Ashpookie

Hi

Thanks a lot for sharing this information.

confused john joh travolta GIF by Al Rifai

A lot of people are confused about this.

I have read the Terms and Conditions, and here is what I understood:

1. There are official music tracks available in agreement with Music Companies.

2. We can create our own music and upload it here.

3. There are a lot of illegal uploads and it is not possible to keep a track of all of them. So users have to be careful.

(I started singing on all music tracks, due to constant requests.... especially from people affected with mental illness... one song can save a life. So I compromised on my values.)

• 2 months later...
SOTBGA1 AND _SOTBGA

PEOPLE UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE ALL THE TIME. IT HAS THE SMULE LOGO ON IT. ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT ON SMULE THEY OWN THE RIGHTS TO EVERY THING YOU SING, UNLESS YOU COPYWRITE IT< AND ARE A MEMBER OF ASCAP OR SIMILAR MUSCIANS UNIONS,

• 1 year later...