Can you download a song marked private by recorder?

JustJokin21

A friend sent me a song privately over pm and I'm having trouble downloading - it is because it's marked private?

• like 1

opentype

I’m not perfectly sure. I believe private songs are still fully accessible if you know the URL to the song. 

Is it maybe an OC instead of a finished song?

• like 1

JustJokin21

I thought of that.  It wouldn't let me save in faves until I joined (didn't sing) just joined silently -- lol -- then I could save it in faves -- but I still can't download ...    grrrrrrrr

RamKrish1012

A song that is marked "Private" to me is "Private" and peoples Privacy is to be respected. Often I come across songs that I wish to sing but don't have the time. So I sing a few lines and save it as Private to be there as a reminder that I should sing this song when Time Permits. Why should others have the right to open my private half baked recordings, is the question.

This leads to another question, I have seen prompts on Smule saying you can now open all Private savings blah blah blah , but never followed it up to see where it goes.

Ram

• like 1

• 2 weeks later...
opentype
On 9/22/2018 at 6:49 AM, RamKrish1012 said:

Why should others have the right to open my private half baked recordings, is the question.

They can’t – unless you share the song URL. Which happens all the time. For example: People might send me competition songs they are working on asking me for feedback. With that link, the song becomes accessible to me. Would I share it publicly, everyone would get access to the song. So keep that in mind. “Private” just means not publicly listed. It doesn’t mean inaccessible to the public. 

• like 1