Learnt Something Interesting about Smule Recording by Accident

RamKrish1012

I always charge my Smart phone 100% before singing and recording on Smule. The first few recordings turn out OK but then I start to have audio issues with my voice way below the duet Partner. For months I have been blaming my mic and head phones and Samsung 7 itself. Today I realised that if I have the phone connected to the charger when I am singing the recording is awesome...This means my phone has to be connected to the mains through a charger to get the best output. Smule drains the battery too fast affecting the recording. 

Does this make sense folks ?

Ram.K

opentype

Certainly interesting and worth a try for people with similar setups. 

I can say that the opposite can be true as well. If the phone or an external audio interface are connected to an external power source, that can also introduce a permanent low buzz or humming sound to the recording. 

But worth trying different options to see what works best. 

himanshusabot

I agree within #opentype that while the recording quality may be better, I have always observed that there is a continuous hissing)/ buzzing sound and no crystal clear sound when Ur android phone is plugged to a wall charger while recording.

I would be trying to connect it to a power bank while recording to see comparison that can be interesting. Thanks, good recording has been always my interest. 

himanshusabot

I opine that the hissing or low buzz is due to Wall charger converting ac to DC current etc., Whereas I suspect that a power bank being DC storage device, there may not be any such hissing sound while it supplies the power juice to the phone recorder for good recording (as Ramakrishna suggested). I M going to test this n will get back to all of you. 

Meanwhile, I welcome your opinions on this. Thanx to all.

RamKrish1012

Himanshu and OpenType: After reading your responses which made sense I decided to connect my phone to a Sony Power bank that was full changed and connected the Power Bank to the Mains. I tell you what. The quqlity of the recording is sooo much better.

Now I have to look for a better head phone and perhaps a condensor Mic.

Cheers

Ram.K

himanshusabot

Thank u RamaK sir, for this input. I also did same but without connecting my INTEX 13k powerbank to a AC wall current. And the recording is without any hisses or hummings.

My mind says that one shudnt connect to any AC source whike recording even remotely. See, there will be done AC current signals, however small, will be there if U connect Ur phone to powerbank and powerbank to AC current. One should only use battery power of powerbank for recording. This is my firm understanding n I have successfully experimented too. Thanks. 

Glad to hear, Ifbu have any discussion on this any further. 

--Himsnshu

RamKrish1012

Lesson learnt is that recording is not good when battery power is down and best to have the phone connected to a power bank for better recordings. Powering the Powerbank simultaneously or not is upto the individual. It works fine for me with my Sony Cycle Energy unit but may not work for others as there are so many types of power Banks.

Keep singing folks.

Cheers

Ram.K

himanshusabot

RamK Sir, Theoretically, howsoever good the powerbank let that be, simultaneous charging of battery through a powerbank from wall AC and recording songs with its own phone mic or external earphone mic, will always be affected by some hummings, jarrings generated by AC current signals. 

I will only go for this--singing charging a big powerbank then disconnect it to power a phone while recording. 

Thank you for useful thoughts on this topic. 

Himanshu

RamKrish1012

Himanshu Agree that the Phone Battery plus the Power bank should be adequate for many hours of singing on Smule

Cheers

Ram.K

• 10 months later...
_RamKrish1012

Himanshu,

Now I am using a new iPad which is connected to the mains all the time and no noise generated. VOC I am having problems with noise and it is more due to the IRig Pre interface and its gain setting. lower the gain setting and the noise fades away but lower gain means lower voice level in final recording.

• 2 months later...
ELVIS_USA

a better power cord that has better grounding nothing says you have to have to use the cord that came with the phone to record on smule just a thought

Edited by ELVIS_USA
Mistake

• 1 month later...
smulian2019

yes , its true , for singing on smule your iphone should be charged 100 percent , when the battery drops below 90 percent , audio quality reduce tremendously . Installing new smule app {clear cache in android } every time also helps for better quality and restart your mobile too  while attaching the earphones  at the start ...

smulian2019

there are many secrets for better sound quality on smule , very few people are aware of and they always blame the app and the  mic or earphones or few blame the mobile too ...

1-charge your mobile to 100 percent ..

2-Clear the cache of smule app 

3-attach the earphones and restart the mobile ..

4-android users should use the mic installed in mobile , for that use the earphones without mic ..sound quality is better with the mobile microphone  but you need to use tripod for holding your mobile ..

5-not every earphone with mic is good for smule , for exa costly jbl earphones  record bad sound but cheap Chinese earphones work better ..it all depends on luck , few cheap options for heaphones are motorola pulse headphones available at flipkart at 600 rupees gives awesome sound on smule  . gionee earphones available at 300 rupees in market are good like iphones earpods ...or use apple earphones , you can buy at 2200 from amazon...i have used condenser mic also , but it just works with  apple mobiles with ios ...for android users use the original earphones or use the mobile mic only ..

6-if your mobile has less ram like 1 gb then sound quality will be poor , clear the ram for that or uninstall useless apps ..

7-fully charged battery is must for smule .

• 2 weeks later...
ELVIS_USA

If you're looking for an excellent headphones without a mic I use the Shure HT 440 headphones as my studio monitors and as a Studio condenser mic I chose the road NT-1A if it's out of your price range may I also suggest a dynamic microphone my choice it's the Shure Beta 58A can hold its own against any condenser mic hope this helps...E

_GJAM_

its a smule bug   i have had it happen on numerous phones ios and android and ipad  as a rule of thumb every recording is gonna render about 20% lower than the preview and seems to lower even more each layer while lowering the layers beneath   Always remember too only earbuds are as high pitched much more than other tool used to listen have a considerable  more dynamic and depth   for best result get good headphones  beats etc not necessary get a $20 pair of Jlab Studio as long as u arent dependent on the mic to sound good  a behringer XMB5000 i think it is isan  affordable XLR if money no issue step up to a shure if you want or even condenser but ive had some $10 condensers sound absolutely amazing on phantom on a quiet environment  good luck happy smuling