Ahnataye

New and Questions about Smule

Hello All,

I am pretty new to Smule, a month in now; give or take and i've made some observations that I would like to ask some questions on.

I do have a lot of questions and will try to keep it to three for simplicity sake and hope that someone will answer since my experience on Smule thus far has not been very inviting or  welcoming. ( I do understand that I am not the center of the Smule world) But the music still goes on.

Question 1: Is Smule a hook up site?  The reason why I ask this, is that if one does not put a video of them singing, it seems for the most part one is ignored (even by so called Smule Ambassadors), or is ignoring people when they join a song just normal protocol?  My experience has been a few people listen and heart, but the most part, contributions falls on deaf ears, but again the music still goes on.

Question 2: Are the stats really what people are looking at for example the hearts, the likes, the listens?  Is  singing a popularity contest? For clarity, let me add there is no judgement here, only observation in the hopes to understand this social platform better.

Question 3:  Is Smule a site that has already peaked? Those who have been here from the start, have amassed a following which is great, but is this there no opportunity for new voices to be heard, gain traction, and have other people join in when they make an open call?

I will end this for now,  but my questions are still many. I will continue to search for answers, because the music still goes on and so will I.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

All for music, 

Ahnataye 

13 hours ago, Ahnataye said:

Question 1: Is Smule a hook up site? 

I can be. It doesn’t have to be. Your choice. 

The reason why I ask this, is that if one does not put a video of them singing, it seems for the most part one is ignored …

If I open with video, I also prefer video joins. It’s just the way it is. But I also see many singers who do audio exclusively or almost exclusively. And they get tons of joins and followers. Whatever makes you happy.  

… or is ignoring people when they join a song just normal protocol? 

Not sure I would use the word “ignoring”, since that is a deliberate act. People might simply not have the time to listed to 50 joins of the 10 songs they open every week. That would be 25 hours of playtime …
Or they might not want to comment 500 times, unless the join was very special or from a close friend. Some love to interact with many people, some don’t. 

but is this there no opportunity for new voices to be heard, gain traction, and have other people join in when they make an open call?

I think there is. If anything, the growing number of users makes it even easier to find people who like the same music as you do. 

Hello new smuler 👋 

I pretty much agree with everything opentype said. A few additional thoughts: it is harder for a newbie. People don’t know you and you will be overlooked by many. Not with any malace, but they literally don’t know you exist yet. Keep doing you. You’ll find your people. The more you find, the more interaction you'll get. It’s kind of a slow process and you get what you give. As far as being a popularity contest...unfortunately I do find it to be swinging that way. With the app becoming more popular, more people are joining and many newbies aren’t here to sing and play and make connections. I find more newer people only looking for fan adoration, hook ups and what not. Fortunately there are newbies like you who seem genuinely here for the music. 

Btw.... I dislike the videos too. It’s too distracting to see my big potato head while I’m trying to belt one out. 😂 personal preference  

On 5/11/2018 at 2:18 PM, opentype said:

I can be. It doesn’t have to be. Your choice.  Yes, that makes sense. Smule will be different things for different people, just like everything else really.

If I open with video, I also prefer video joins. It’s just the way it is. But I also see many singers who do audio exclusively or almost exclusively. And they get tons of joins and followers. Whatever makes you happy.   Cool, good to know.

Not sure I would use the word “ignoring”, since that is a deliberate act. People might simply not have the time to listed to 50 joins of the 10 songs they open every week. That would be 25 hours of playtime …
Or they might not want to comment 500 times, unless the join was very special or from a close friend. Some love to interact with many people, some don’t. 

True, but in my limited and new Smule experience, I have noticed a pattern of behavior in some that makes me question, but again no judgement only observation, cause who the hell am i right?   They are who they are, just as I am who I am. Perhaps they are unaware of how their actions or the lack of actions in this case speak of their true nature, but as Edie Brickell of the New Bohemian's sings, "shove me into shallow water before i get to deep." I am still learning to navigate my way through. Either way I will continue to use Smule as a tool to work towards becoming a better vocalist.

I think there is. If anything, the growing number of users makes it even easier to find people who like the same music as you do.  Only time will tell..

Thank you for your time and consideration.

For the love of music,

Ahnataye

On 5/11/2018 at 6:23 PM, Mrs_Trish said:

Hello new smuler 👋  Hello ~

I pretty much agree with everything opentype said. A few additional thoughts: it is harder for a newbie. People don’t know you and you will be overlooked by many. Not with any malace, but they literally don’t know you exist yet. Keep doing you. You’ll find your people. The more you find, the more interaction you'll get. It’s kind of a slow process and you get what you give. As far as being a popularity contest...unfortunately I do find it to be swinging that way. With the app becoming more popular, more people are joining and many newbies aren’t here to sing and play and make connections. I find more newer people only looking for fan adoration, hook ups and what not. Fortunately there are newbies like you who seem genuinely here for the music. 

I have discovered as I look at the bigger picture, the keep doing you philosophy will be the way to proceed. I do hope to find my musical tribe (for the lack of a better word), but if i don't, I have come to realization that it will be okay I've always been a nomad, it's in my DNA.

Also I have come to understand that Smule will be different for everyone. You want fans; great, hook ups; cool, singing for therapy; wonderful, singing to practice; you'd better work it!  It all blends together in this neat little  interactive music package on the internet. ( Damn why didn't I think of it first!)  It works, and at this point I see it as a tool to grow as a vocalist.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:23 PM, Mrs_Trish said:

Btw.... I dislike the videos too. It’s too distracting to see my big potato head while I’m trying to belt one out. 😂 personal preference  

Yes that whole video thing.. I need to find headphones with a longer jack.. I need my space when I sing,  I'm like the lemur king from the movie Madagascar  I've got to "move it, move it!" (minus the bug eyes)   I've experimented a little with video and adjusted the camera so I had room to dance a little.  Still figuring the whole mic placement/camera part out. 

Thank you for your time and consideration,

All for music,

Ahnataye