How do I control the sound settings, please

misterspeakeasy

This is just my second week on Smule.

I’m having problems with the sound settings.

1). My voice often distorts (so I’m assuming my input volume to Smule is too loud - which must be triggering the compression at the Smule end of the system).

2). Often, my sound profile settings are mismatching with the singer. I like a warm, dry sound... but some singers sing with tons of reverb. This can often create an aesthetic mismatch. Now, I’ve noticed that some singers quote their sound setting, e.g. Studio, -3.5, etc. How do I access these control figures at my end?

So.... really here are 2 separate enquiries: 

- the input volume (re distortion)

- the sound profile.

For your information, I am using iPad Pro, iRig Pre, and a good, generic condenser mic.

Thank you for reading this. I hope you can help!

Edited by misterspeakeasy
Punctuation

opentype

The distortion is probably caused by too much gain on your iRig Pre – sine that is the only gain setting there is in this setup. 

Not sure I understand the other question. You can’t automatically take over the other person settings, but you can try to match them and manually set them like they tell you to. I assume you know where to find your audio effect settings or is that the question? 

misterspeakeasy

The question is: where do I find the audio settings?

I know the iRig Pre has a gain control. But I can see a gain control on at the bottom of the Smule window (two gain controls.... one for the mic, one for the guide). I get that the gain for the guide affects the sound in my headphones (and not the overall final mix).

What I can’t work out is how to match the fairly specific calibrations that some singers post.

I can find the different mic presets (Studio, Polish, SuperStudio, etc). But I can’t find any kind of numerical calibration. Maybe there isn’t one?! 

Is there a Help Guide anywhere... or is it all super-intuitive?

Edited by misterspeakeasy
Explanation added

opentype
29 minutes ago, misterspeakeasy said:

But I can see a gain control on at the bottom of the Smule window (two gain controls.... one for the mic, one for the guide).

Yeah, that’s not gain. It’s just the monitoring volume. It won’t change anything about the recording itself. 

29 minutes ago, misterspeakeasy said:

I can find the different mic presets (Studio, Polish, SuperStudio, etc). But I can’t find any kind of numerical calibration. Maybe there isn’t one?! 

Click on the effect again once you have activated it. It’s then a button revealing the settings. 
(Same is true for the video effects and their settings.)

• 9 months later...
Lhgoo

I’m having the same problem. I can select an effect (e.g. studio), but if I click on it again nothing happens. Is this a fault or at I missing something? I’m using an iPhone if that makes any difference 

opentype
3 minutes ago, Lhgoo said:

I’m having the same problem. I can select an effect (e.g. studio), but if I click on it again nothing happens. 

That is expected. Studio does not have additional settings. So clicking on it again can’t do anything. You already have activated the effect.