Can I plug a microphone (not earbuds) directly to the phone jack connector?

BrainDad

This is in android.

I've been using the internal phone mic to record while listening with earbuds (either jack or bluetooth, they work the same if you fix the time lag after singing).

Now I've seen that my phone mic is picking more noise than usual and distorts a bit (maybe it's got damp), so I have to lower the sound level after singing.

I know that you can plug one of those earbuds that also have mic , but I'm wondering what happens if you plug an actual microphone (dynamic, no need to power it) to the jack input. Would it be recognized as a mic or the system would consider it is output instead of input?

opentype

Not sure this will work easily. 

• First and biggest problem is the wiring. While mics can have the right jack to fit into the phone socket, it will not have the right connection for this (“Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve”). A splitter might able to resolve this. 
  • A regular dynamic vocal mic will probably also not deliver the expected input levels of a headset. 
  • Also, Smule might not detect this setup properly and complain there are no headphones connected. 

So maybe it’s not worth it. Maybe just get a new headset. 

BrainDad

ok thanks. I've found some old samsung smartphone earbuds with mic and its trrs jack. Sound is not best, but it'll do, this is just karaoke ;)